Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

Oscar nominations are out. 

best picture nominations

American fiction
anatomy of a fall
barbie 😂
The holdovers
killers of the flower moon
maestro
Oppenheimer
past lives
poor things
The zone of interest

On 1/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, ixcuincle said:

Oscar nominations are out. 

best picture nominations

American fiction
anatomy of a fall
barbie 😂
The holdovers
killers of the flower moon
maestro
Oppenheimer
past lives
poor things
The zone of interest

- Haven't seen it, but want to

- Seen it, loved it

- Haven't seen it, not sure what it's about, supposed to be excellent

- Haven't seen it, definitely want to

- Haven't seen it, not sure if I want to or not

- Haven't seen it, not sure if I want to or not but leaning towards wanting to

- Haven't seen it, not sure what it's about

1 minute ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

- Seen it, loved it

- Haven't seen it, not sure what it's about, supposed to be excellent

- Haven't seen it, not sure if I want to or not

- Haven't seen it, not sure if I want to or not but leaning towards wanting to

I liked Oppenheimer, very good performance from Cillian Murphy and RDJr. I was also able to learn a lot of things I didn't know about him and the political intrigues at this time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Might be fun.

Is this a remake of the one with Patrick Swayze?...If so, this one looks better lol. I never saw the first one, but it always looked insanely cheesy and I've heard a lot of people basically describe it that way.

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I liked Oppenheimer, very good performance from Cillian Murphy and RDJr. I was also able to learn a lot of things I didn't know about him and the political intrigues at this time.

Ok, that pushes it solidly over to the "want to" list now lol...👍

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Is this a remake of the one with Patrick Swayze?...If so, this one looks better lol. I never saw the first one, but it always looked insanely cheesy and I've heard a lot of people basically describe it that way.

Watch the original. Prime Swayze. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Swayze from 83 to 91 had some solid bangers. 

Outsiders, Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing, Next of Kin, Road House, Ghost, and Point Break. 

That's the problem for me...of the ones I've seen on your list, I thought they were either overrated or cheesy lol.

- Outsiders: overrated (Swayze was good in it, though)

- Red Dawn: enjoyable enough but one I easily forgot about until just now

- Dirty Dancing: overrated with a fair amount of cheese

- Next Of Kin: never saw it but kinda want to now

- Road House: never saw it

- Ghost: good in terms of entertainment, definitely layers of cheese sprinkled in;

- Point Break: could never, EVER, get into this movie like seemingly so many others have...

Of the Swayze performances I've seen, The Outsiders, Ghost, and Donnie Darko were the best. He may have had better ones in movies I haven't seen yet, though. I'm on a mission to watch the original Road House now lol...

4 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That's the problem for me...of the ones I've seen on your list, I thought they were either overrated or cheesy lol.

Of the Swayze performances I've seen, The Outsiders, Ghost, and Donnie Darko were the best. He may have had better ones in movies I haven't seen yet, though. I'm on a mission to watch the original Road House now lol...

That's the point.  Roadhouse is the pinnacle of cheese.  Supremely cheesy.  Don't go into it expecting high level thespianism.  Revel in the schlock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, China said:

That's the point.  Roadhouse is the pinnacle of cheese.  Supremely cheesy.  Don't go into it expecting high level thespianism.  Revel in the schlock.

That does help, actually lol...my assumption was that the filmmakers were thinking they were creating a seriously good action flick and didn't realize it was dripping with cheese. If they had intended the cheese to be there, though, that puts watching it in a different perspective.

Or, unintended cheese makes it an even more enjoyable watch...that works, too.

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Being GenX helps too. Seeing these films in the theater or on some bootleg VCR tape...made them so much more than they probably are/were. 

This might be it precisely...experiencing some movies in the moment leave a positive and indelible mark that is separate from the quality of the movie itself. I watched "Sleepless In Seattle" and "The Goonies" several years ago, had never seen either. Thought both were "meh" even though tons of people constantly praised both. (Goonies was significantly worse lol...but it was made for kids so it's understandable).

23 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Might be fun.

This movie looks ****ing terrible. They could've make this a sequel and I probably watch it. Same when they remade Point Break. Never bothered and that easily could've been made as a sequel instead. 

Edited by Hersh

19 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Being GenX helps too. Seeing these films in the theater or on some bootleg VCR tape...made them so much more than they probably are/were. 
We have the wisdom to understand the brilliance of these movies. All other generations will never achieve such wisdom and therefore are not expected to understand. 

FTFY

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1