Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24-7.com; Game Review: The Big Plays That Changed The Game (Were Actually Not All DeAngelo Hall’s Fault)

KCClybun

Good stuff NLC.. Still waiting for the All 22 to come up so I can see the field views. Hall gets all the blame and none of the praise from a majority of this fan base.

The play Vjax caught the post route inside the 5 looked really close to the play Grifffin was burned for a TD in the Rams game. Once I get the All 22 I will know for sure but I am expecting to see Haz once again being predictable in his play calls. In this shot notice the Rams on the 30 and Gibson was on a outside post route. Haz dials up a cover 2 but tries to get tricky and have Griffin bail into a deep half while Gomes comes down and covers the intermediate zone. The Rams caught the rotation and then Griffin was caught in no mans land flat footed. Gibson used Griffins leverage against him and broke off the route to the pylon for a TD.

export_96_zps6f748dc1.png

Check out Tampa Bay close to same position on the field as the Rams and a similar offensive formation. Skins are playing the same defense except with Griffin out Hall is the outisde CB. Williams looks to come down to defend the intermediate zone while Hall has deep half. Pretty easy play to make for VJAX to make once he crosses Halls face.

dhallgetsjobbed-697x392.png

I will know for sure when the ALL22 goes up but Haz just to predictable and putting this secondary in bad positions.

*Haz actually loves this concept as show by Amendolas 56 yard reception I wrote about last week.

can we move hall to free safety. I mean you an believe that hall is good at corner, but he isn't. I think he would be great at free safety. Speed, Ball skills, and reads the QB eyes very well, and now he can tackle.

Two weeks in a row you've been shown direct evidence that D-Hall isn't as bad as everyone thinks. I think this might have to become a weekly series on HTTR 24-7.

At any rate, no, I don't want to move D-Hall to free safety. He played limited snaps at free safety during preseason and I don't think he looked that great. Making the transition isn't as easy as people think, and I think playing free safety would actually highlight some of D-Hall's lesser qualities, like guessing and jumping routes. I actually think D-Hall is improving because he's reading the QB's eyes less and not guessing as much as he used to.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 12:30 AM ----------

Good stuff NLC.. Still waiting for the All 22 to come up so I can see the field views. Hall gets all the blame and none of the praise from a majority of this fan base.

When you get it, can you please explain what the hell Madieu was doing playing that far off the ball?

As far as I'm concerned Hall has been elite the last two games. Yes, elite. I've always liked Hall's play on the field, but I've always maintained he had issues playing tight coverage and that was the only thing keeping him from being an elite DB. The last few games he's been step for step and on his guy's hips. The WRs who've made plays against him the last two games have been Green and Jackson, both of whom are freakish athletes. When you look at the plays, he's right there on them and even plays the ball well... the problem is the bodies of said WRs and the perfect throws their QBs made. I don't think any other DB in the league defends those type of passes that well other than Revis, and even he is susceptible to that.

You can look up my posts in the gameday threads the last few weeks. I've been extremely impressed with Hall. Like I said, the only thing in my mind that has kept him from being elite was how well he would play tight coverage (he usually plays best in soft coverage with his eyes on the QB, he has excellent ball skills and he can tackle a lot better than anyone gives him credit for)... but now he's actually showing me he's improved in that one area as well. I think maybe all that practice time in the slot has helped him be a better man coverage corner and, thus, improved his overall "tightness" in coverage. Whatever it is, I stand by my assessment. He's playing at an elite level and I don't care what anyone says.

I don't know about elite, but he's been playing his ass off this season for sure. He keeps getting jobbed by Haslett and the safeties though. Same with Josh Wilson. Corner isn't the problem, safety is. I don't really like Richard Crawford playing the slot too much, but generally I think he has performed adaquetly there.

Every offense is basically gameplanning to exploit our safeties. At least with Reed we can be relatively be sure that he will at the very least be where he nee needs be.

I wasn't joking when I said I hope Jordan Pugh beats him out. He couldn't be any worse.

Hall has literally improved every aspect of his game since signing here. Tackling, Man Coverage, Zone Coverage, playing smart. He's quietly (well, not so quietly :ols:) become a legit leader of the defense.

Yeah, your gona' hate me bro', but unless he's coming up with the ball as a playmaker; even with the above improvement he's not a starting caliber talent for me. There's just no consistency. He'll have a couple of really good games like the last two weeks, then 3 or 4 real poor ones.

Hail.

Yeah, your gona' hate me bro', but unless he's coming up with the ball as a playmaker; even with the above improvement he's not a starting caliber talent for me. There's just no consistency. He'll have a couple of really good games like the last two weeks, then 3 or 4 real poor ones.

Hail.

I dunno man. Hall has his moments like all corners, but sometimes he gets straight jobbed by either his teammates or his coaches. The more tape I watch on D-Hall the more I feel like he's played better than he gets credit for. I was ready to curse D-Hall out when it looked like we were going to lose, but when I went back and watched the tape, he played a really good game. He's not shutdown, but he is a starting caliber guy. He can't do it alone, though, and the longer this problem with the safeties lingers, the worse it's going to be.

Nice analysis, as always. I look forward to reading this analysis on the days following a game. Being a UK sky sports subscriber, I don't see all that much of the Redskins, but do get to see the big plays. Felt Hall played the deep pass to Jackson pretty well,, just got beaten by accuracy on the pass. At least he made the tackle, because he had nobody to back him up. I did feel, though, that he could've done a better job of jamming Jackson on the TD. That would've given Williams a bit more time to get over and given the ball was well placed, possibly break up the pass. So for me, Hall deserves some criticism on that one, particularly if he knows Williams speed meant he'd need to hold Jackson up for longer. I certainly don't agree with the amount of stick he gets in general, though. Those two plays aside, Jackson was largely kept in check.

-Madieu Williams had 2 critical mistakes that sully what imo was his most physical and active performance thus far.

o on the TD to Jackson I didn't understand why he didn't take a couple steps towards DHall pre-snap.

Who cares if Freeman knows you're doubling Jackson? Maybe it might get him off that read?

But at least put yourself in a better position to make a play.

If Williams is a couple steps faster or earlier and takes a better angle he should at least be able to break up that pass.

Got no qualms w/ Has on that call

o Jackson's long catch on DHall...Why not sit in 2-man (under) let the CBs press and run and give them deep help.

o Madieu was late on that sideline pass, but he must make that tackle.

On the whole I thought MWilliams was physical and active, which were my main problems with him as a Safety.

If he can improve his feel in coverage he has a chance to be better to almost decent.

But, if he continues to struggle I wonder if we'll see the pairing of Doughty and Gomes.

I remember Crawford giving Doughty credit for knowing what the expect on one of his preseason interceptions.

I remember Kareem Moore giving Doughty credit for helping him learn the defense a couple of years ago.

Doughty knows this defense the best out of any member of the secondary and if he was out there with Gomes he could help Gomes understand the game better.

For all Gomes miscues he's proly our most athletic and best coverage safety. (he did a fine job on Jimmy Graham for example)

I'll have to look, but it seems like we played more 2 man in the first half and it was working.

Then we went to some other coverage Cover 1 in the second, IIRC where Hall got beat.

I like when we play 2-man.

Madieu is awful. He hasn't contributed anywhere in years. Its laughable he's starting. I still don't understand why Barnes wasn't given a legit shot at FS. He showed more there in a couple games at the end of the '10 season than anyone else has in recent memory. And Tanard.....I get more and more upset with his stupidity the more I think about it....

I don't know what else can be said about Hall to prove that he is a damn good corner. I felt the same way about Rogers. Outside of the dropsies he was damn solid, but people were short-sihgted with him as they are Hall. Like I said last week. Without Hall we are really screwed. The corners were tight with their coverage last week. Freeman threw some balls in the second half that the WR and only the WR had a chance to catch.

Madieu is awful. He hasn't contributed anywhere in years. Its laughable he's starting. I still don't understand why Barnes wasn't given a legit shot at FS. He showed more there in a couple games at the end of the '10 season than anyone else has in recent memory. And Tanard.....I get more and more upset with his stupidity the more I think about it....

Barnes couldn't tackle in the open field if the target was stationary and was called "the most easily tackle you'll ever make". His inability to tackle is a huge reason why he's not here. I don't think Barnes was as good at free safety as everyone thinks he was, but the lack of tackling hurt him, like alot. Can't be the last line of defense when you can't tackle someone.

As for Tanard, I think people forget/miss/ignore that he didn't get suspended for anything he did here. Pretty sure his suspension came down for an infraction before we signed him, which is why we offered him no guaranteed money. Would've been helpful if a certain crap commissioner had actually suspended Tanard before the start of the season since it seemed like our coaching staff was caught off guard even though they had some idea that decision was coming down. Hope he gets his **** together, because we desperately need a safety.

You could make a thousand of these threads and the Hall haters will never stop hating him. I am convinced that they just do not watch the games closely. There is no way you could watch the games and think that Hall is our problem on defense. Second leading tackler behind London, by far our most "complete" secondary player, gives every game his complete effort, has had no issues off the field since coming here, takes up for his teammates, is a defensive leader, physical, good hands, always a threat to make a big play...the more I think about it, and the more I am forced to take up for him, the more I think he is turning into my favorite player on Defense...

As for Tanard, I think people forget/miss/ignore that he didn't get suspended for anything he did here. Pretty sure his suspension came down for an infraction before we signed him, which is why we offered him no guaranteed money. Would've been helpful if a certain crap commissioner had actually suspended Tanard before the start of the season since it seemed like our coaching staff was caught off guard even though they had some idea that decision was coming down. Hope he gets his **** together, because we desperately need a safety.

Even with Tanard back next year and even if Merriweather finally comes back and is decently effective, I think it's pretty clear our 2nd round pick next year has to be a DB.. most likely a safety, but a 2nd round corner is possible too.

RT is going to have to wait. our secondary is a much bigger issue than RT right now.

The thing that annoys me so much is how many people were saying prior to and after the Saints game that the Safety position was unimportant and Merriweather wouldn't make much of a difference. Bull****. The safeties are terrible here. They lack experience. And the other was KO'd prior to kickoff by our own player. WTF!!???!?!

Even with Tanard back next year and even if Merriweather finally comes back and is decently effective, I think it's pretty clear our 2nd round pick next year has to be a DB.. most likely a safety, but a 2nd round corner is possible too.

RT is going to have to wait. our secondary is a much bigger issue than RT right now.

Remember that we went into free agency with a plan that got ****ed up about half an hour before free agency started.

There's no doubt in my mind that tackle, wide receiver (which thankfully we got taken care of), corners, and safeties were on the list.

This year, while we have no first-round pick (for now, you never know), we have a sense of what it will be like in the offseason. Those plans weren't just for 2012 beginning at the end of 2011; Shanallen had this planned out and tweaked since November of 2009.

Mara ****ed us over more than we're thinking.

I think Hall has been playing well and always appreciate his passion for the game.

But I am not 100% certain that Madieu is worse than Haslet. I think its speculation to say he was out of position, as Haslet does have some unorthodox things. Playing FS is tough even the best get burned.... or very rarely challenged (yes, think Favre). Plus, like the great throws at tight coverage by Hall over recent weeks, the offenses get paid to play too. Madieu's game seems to be to play physical and I look for him to contribute as a big hitter.

While I think our cap issues injuries and drug addictions have a hand in our issues, DHall and Madeiu and crew are all playing overall about average defense in the now pass happy NFL.Yes scoring has to be up, and 4 games is a small sample size. They could use a little more help via pressure from the front 7. Its more like front 1, Kerrigan.

The bigger problem I see, is that our coaches don't see a problem on defense, and let off on the gas on offense far too often to win games handily, as we are constructed.

Archived