Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fordranger76's Offensive Line Statistics Thread

fordranger76

Week 6 impressions. Trent is a stud. He dominated Allen and company all day with very few misses on the day. Has to be top 5 in the league after that performance. Lich did just fine. Montgomery slipped just a hair this week but nothing too major. A few hiccups. Chester. Pass blocking was so so but again he was a train wreck to run blocking. When you are only hitting 50 percent of your blocks on a run play something is bad wrong. This is back to back weeks now where he has looked dominated by the run stopping competition. Polumbus started out ok pass blocking but the end seemed to had figured him out in the second half. Run blocking however he improved yet again and I am seeing this every week now. Overall I am very happy with how this line is performing. Sure the right side of the line is not the best but Polumbus I do believe is improving while Chester is still regressing.

Week 6 impressions. Trent is a stud. He dominated Allen and company all day with very few misses on the day. Has to be top 5 in the league after that performance. Lich did just fine. Montgomery slipped just a hair this week but nothing too major. A few hiccups. Chester. Pass blocking was so so but again he was a train wreck to run blocking. When you are only hitting 50 percent of your blocks on a run play something is bad wrong. This is back to back weeks now where he has looked dominated by the run stopping competition. Polumbus started out ok pass blocking but the end seemed to had figured him out in the second half. Run blocking however he improved yet again and I am seeing this every week now. Overall I am very happy with how this line is performing. Sure the right side of the line is not the best but Polumbus I do believe is improving while Chester is still regressing.

Thanks for the update.

I have been watching Polumbus on the All 22 and he was solid in run blocking but I think he struggles with his first step against outside rushes in pass pro and tends to lunge a bit and that sets him up to get beaten by a spin move or swim to the inside. The better LDEs will eat him up without help. But he is playing at least to a solid level.

I expect to see us try to upgrade both RG and RT for next year though.

Final comment on the 1 sack Allen got Trent blocked down and Allen was 'blocked' by Paulsen. I say blocked, Allen ran over Paulsen. Kyle might want to look at that particular blocking scheme again.

Thanks for the update.

I have been watching Polumbus on the All 22 and he was solid in run blocking but I think he struggles with his first step against outside rushes in pass pro and tends to lunge a bit and that sets him up to get beaten by a spin move or swim to the inside. The better LDEs will eat him up without help. But he is playing at least to a solid level.

I expect to see us try to upgrade both RG and RT for next year though.

Final comment on the 1 sack Allen got Trent blocked down and Allen was 'blocked' by Paulsen. I say blocked, Allen ran over Paulsen. Kyle might want to look at that particular blocking scheme again.

You are seeing exactly what I am seeing which is good because I am trying to get accurate looks at our guys and report it here. Polumbus also seems to just simply get out angled on passing. He has that slow first step and I think that is his biggest problem. As for the rg I am hoping we have that in LeRibeus taking over for Chester hopefully within the year. And lastly to Paulsen getting run over. That was indeed a pathetic display. And Im not sold that its the scheme as much as it is the tight ends and how awful they are at blocking. If I had my way we would draft a tight end with the 2 or 3 pick of this coming draft that can block if the player also has downfield ability. I really believe that if we got a blocking tight end in this scheme the running game would be even better!

Week 7 impressions. Trent Williams is elite in my book. End of story. He was mauling people out there and considering the vaunted Giants line and what he was doing to them just was incredible. Lichtensteiger did wonderfully playing next to Trent. Montgomery again had an excellent game especially in pass blocking. Chester showed up this week and finally stopped regressing thank goodness. Polumbus? Holy cow! Best game as a Redskin bar none. To tell you how impressive he actually was he almost was the best overall of the week just slightly behind Trent. The line as a whole was stupid good this week. Against that pass rush our line stood strong and hardly allowed any penetration at all. The run blocking was creating big holes and extending drives. The first 3 quarters of the game were a laugher for the line though they did seem to tire in quarter number 4. This week the line showed that they are on the verge of becoming great as a unit as Trent displayed his dominance against top tier pass rushers. Polumbus continues to improve like a mad man and I cant believe I am saying this but I think he can be the starter for years over there if he continues to keep this up!

Been loving Polumbus' progression. The fact that people were bashing him after a few games was laughable. It takes time for a player to get acclimated and an OL'man is no different. I will be pissed if Brown comes back and takes over at RT again. It would be a huge mistake and it would stunt the growth of Polumbus. Don't mess with the chemistry this line is developing. RGIII seems to have confidence in Tyler also.

Been loving Polumbus' progression. The fact that people were bashing him after a few games was laughable. It takes time for a player to get acclimated and an OL'man is no different. I will be pissed if Brown comes back and takes over at RT again. It would be a huge mistake and it would stunt the growth of Polumbus. Don't mess with the chemistry this line is developing. RGIII seems to have confidence in Tyler also.

In fairness to others (and me), Polumbus also looked pretty poor last season. So when he looked bad to start this season after a whole offseason to work on what he did wrong the prior season, I feel like we were justifiably disappointed.

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

Thanks for the update. I think Griffin, Kyle and the scheme do an outstanding job of placing as little stress on the OL as possible. I think upgrading RT still has to be part of the offseason plan if the plan is to transition into a more traditional offense.

If he continues to grow, then I feel like this only makes our draft even more of a BPA situation. We do need an OT to groom up to be a great swing tackle, but it's not as desperate as it was before.

I think the suspension gave Trent motivation to be the best he could be, and he hasn't let us down. Glad that injury he sustained earlier in the season hasn't lingered (knock on wood) and he seems to be playing at an all pro level. Montgomery has been outstanding all season and Polumbus is a pleasant surprise. I hope the OL continues to grow as a unit and develops solid chemistry for years to come!

Thanks for the update!

I hope Polumbus has a lot of weeks like week 7 ahead, and far fewer like week 6. If he can be consistent in pass protection, that would be huge. That being said, he's still on the chopping block for the starting job come the end of the year.

Hopefully we toss Brown and save his money, and find a new starter there. I like that Polumbus is seemingly getting better, but I'm unsure how he'll hold up down the stretch, and having him in the starting spot next year would probably constitute a failure by this front office, unless he plays lights out the rest of the year.

Anyways, the entire left side of the line seems to be rock solid right now, which is great news. I hope it keeps up.

If he continues to grow, then I feel like this only makes our draft even more of a BPA situation. We do need an OT to groom up to be a great swing tackle, but it's not as desperate as it was before.
I think a FO should always let the draft 'come to them' and take the best players available at positions of need.

I think Polumbus is playing at a passable level right now because of situation not because of his own ability. Thus far we've been dictating to the defense. We are rarely in known 'must pass' situations nor does our passing offense include a lot of 5 and 7 step drops. Most of our passing offense comes off play-action which slows down the pass rush. I am not saying Polumbus isn't playing well because he is, he's holding his own. But I want a bookend OT that I can trust to hold up in 3-5-and 7 step drops without help and that can set the edge to their side without help thus allowing for even as opposed to left handed running game.

Great work Fordranger! Below 80% on pass blocking concerns me, but then again I have no frame of reference for this; is 80% average? above? below? It would be nice to comapreto other teams,but that would be a ton of work I am not about to ask you to do. Ford, what is your opinion on what is an average pass & run blocking percentage for an O line? I doubt all would have uniform stats, the LT probably be the best pass blocker and the rest fall in behind, but do you have any idea on what sort of drop off between a LT and RT should be? like if your LT is pass blocking 85% of the time, are you expectingto see at least 75% or 80% for the RT?

Either way this points out how much help we need on the O line, especially the right side.

Great work Fordranger! Below 80% on pass blocking concerns me, but then again I have no frame of reference for this; is 80% average? above? below? It would be nice to comapreto other teams,but that would be a ton of work I am not about to ask you to do. Ford, what is your opinion on what is an average pass & run blocking percentage for an O line? I doubt all would have uniform stats, the LT probably be the best pass blocker and the rest fall in behind, but do you have any idea on what sort of drop off between a LT and RT should be? like if your LT is pass blocking 85% of the time, are you expectingto see at least 75% or 80% for the RT?

Either way this points out how much help we need on the O line, especially the right side.

I would say percentage wise 80 to 85 percent is fantastic actually. You have to look at it like this. If you have say 30 attempts during the game and say only mess up 8 times during that game that is a pretty darn good job. You have that defense constantly switching things up against you blocking and if you are holding your own by not allowing them into the backfield then you are doing your job quite well. You could look at it this way also. If you are a defender and are only getting past a lineman 20 percent of the time stat wise that looks like you are horrible. But that simply isnt the case. We know JPP and Osi are not horrible yet that is exactly what the line was making them out to be percentage wise. So long story short 80 to 85 percent for LT is great if you look at who they normally go against which is 9 times out of 10 the best player the defensive line has. RT I would say the 75 to 80 percent is dang good for that side. And yes LT should be the best a line has due to them protecting the blindside and the amount of cash they get paid.

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

I think a FO should always let the draft 'come to them' and take the best players available at positions of need.

I think Polumbus is playing at a passable level right now because of situation not because of his own ability. Thus far we've been dictating to the defense. We are rarely in known 'must pass' situations nor does our passing offense include a lot of 5 and 7 step drops. Most of our passing offense comes off play-action which slows down the pass rush. I am not saying Polumbus isn't playing well because he is, he's holding his own. But I want a bookend OT that I can trust to hold up in 3-5-and 7 step drops without help and that can set the edge to their side without help thus allowing for even as opposed to left handed running game.

Polumbus in my book has come on in the past few weeks but he still has that very slow first step. And I agree where I think the blocking scheme and play that Kyle is calling is helping him out greatly but I think he is becoming decent in his own right even with his flaws. As for replacing him I think it should be done but I also believe that RT's are very hard to find for some reason. Couple that with the zone blocking scheme and I think its a very small market for them. I would fill the roll with a free agent and draft one and hope to see one stick. Polumbus though would be a very quality depth guy.

Polumbus in my book has come on in the past few weeks but he still has that very slow first step. And I agree where I think the blocking scheme and play that Kyle is calling is helping him out greatly but I think he is becoming decent in his own right even with his flaws. As for replacing him I think it should be done but I also believe that RT's are very hard to find for some reason. Couple that with the zone blocking scheme and I think its a very small market for them. I would fill the roll with a free agent and draft one and hope to see one stick. Polumbus though would be a very quality depth guy.

The improvement you're tracking here is pretty encouraging. Makes me wonder if, like Lichtensteiger, he just took a little bit of time to figure out the position after struggling a bit early on. Maybe he matures into at least solid starter material and allows the Skins to take a patient approach to RT while a project develops (either Compton or someone from the 2013 Draft). That would be pretty huge given the lack of first rounders the next two years and the big needs on defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow week update. Now updated for Steelers. The stats may look abnormally high especially given the loss but I watched the tape twice to make sure it was accurate. All of the guys on the line had their best game bar none. If you want to point fingers go to the receivers dropping balls left and right and the inability of the backs and tight ends to block. They are miserable at it and quite frankly I am wondering how Evan Royster at this point holds a roster spot. Chester continues to struggle in run blocking and Polumbus is not much better. The right side of the line needs to be overhauled immediately.

Sorry for the slow week update. Now updated for Steelers. The stats may look abnormally high especially given the loss but I watched the tape twice to make sure it was accurate. All of the guys on the line had their best game bar none. If you want to point fingers go to the receivers dropping balls left and right and the inability of the backs and tight ends to block. They are miserable at it and quite frankly I am wondering how Evan Royster at this point holds a roster spot. Chester continues to struggle in run blocking and Polumbus is not much better. The right side of the line needs to be overhauled immediately.

Thank you so much for your continued work in this thread. This information is amazingly useful.

I have to imagine the Carolina game is going to look nasty for the right side of the line when it's analyzed.

Good work.

I wonder how close this is to their true grade by their coaches? Again, good work to break down the replays and do this. Kudos!

I have to think the coaches see the same things I am seeing. But as for replacing I am not so sure it is going to happen. No one is there to replace Polumbus. Unless Brown makes a recovery I do not see him being replaced. I think Chester is the one that should be shown the back up spot but I believe a few things need to happen first. If the team continues to lose I fully expect LeRibeus to get a call or two to start. It will not make any sense whatsoever for Chester to continue to play and not see what this kid has. But then again if the Skins pop off a couple wins and stay in the wild card hunt I do not think Chester gets moved at all. I believe next season will bring two new guards to the starting line up which we already have on the roster. The right tackle situation will hopefully be addressed in free agency along with a low round draft pick for depth. If these things happen I can see the line will be the best unit on the team. But we shall see.

I would like to start this weeks post concerning what I am seeing against PFF's stats. First of all they have Chris Chester highly rated against the run pointing to the fact of the yards gained through his side of the line. While I cannot speak to the yards gained through one hole or another I will say this. I just watched the game against the Panthers and during one particular play Morris had a nice scamper for over 10 yards through a hole Chester seemingly created. While looking at the film yes a hole was there and it was big. Why was it big? He engaged the lineman and the defender overpursued pushing Chester into Polumbus causing all 4 of the men to fall to the ground allowing Morris to go into the hole. To me that is not a good block. Just because a hole was created doesn't mean he made it happen through good use of a block. The man fell and it created a domino effect. I cannot give him credit for that run nor should anyone else. And incase you are wondering many many times this has happened this season to him so this is just not one instance. Also Trent Williams was recently given a 97 percent success rating for blocking. I am assuming they are using a block efficiency rating like myself but if they are grading like what I am there is no way he is only missing less than 3 percent of his blocks. Just because a defender doesn't get a sack or pressure on the QB it doesn't automatically give the blocker a great block. Trent has been very good do not get me wrong but you cannot and I mean cannot give a positive block to someone just on pressure and sacks alone. That is borderline dumb and hardly shows the whole picture of what they are doing on that line.

Now onto the game. We looked ok overall blocking for the pass but I am starting to see it is largely due to very very quick reads and throws from the QB which is to be expected. Again Williams and Montgomery had good games for pass protection while Lich did almost as good. Chester was average and held his ground. Polumbus however had a very poor game. Only 61 percent of his blocks were decent and we need a RT badly. I still believe he is a very good backup but not a starter. As for the running game all 5 guys had a rough week. Polumbus had the best percentage this week but that is not saying much at all. Montgomery was the weak link this week and I believe that is why we abandoned the run game. As I said earlier Chester is being graded way too highly for his run blocking as he and Polumbus have the lost percentage overall for the season with Chester having the worst percentage of all 5 guys. To me the line just looks worn down at the end of a game and on some plays you can see them just giving up. Trent is probably the biggest offender of giving up. While it doesn't happen often with him missing a block or getting out maneuvered he does tend to take a good bit of plays off with lack of hustle. Could just be they get tired from the very long drives that the team consistently put together or they do not have the conditioning they should. I do not know for sure.

Archived