Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Not sure that London will EVER Fall Down

KDawg

If you didn't catch the reference, I was trying to correlate the song "London Bridges Falling Down" (Is that the actual name of the song?) with our very own linebacker, London Fletcher. There's a lot to be upset about with yesterday's loss. The defense as a whole wasn't great. The special teams stunk. But there is some good stuff, namely, RG3 and London Fletcher.

London Fletcher was upset with the refs a few times, but he never let the other team get in his head.

The 37 year old middle linebacker continues to leave his mark on the football field. So far this year, the John Carroll product has just nine tackles, which for Mr. Fletcher is somewhat pedestrian. He's currently fifth on the team, with fellow linebacker Perry Riley ahead of him. So clearly he's washed up at 37 years old, right?

Wrong.

After a blown call yesterday, where London was basically placed in some kind of modified version of a Figure Four Leg Lock, London shot up and started screaming towards the official. Obviously angered. He kept his angst off the opposing player who was guilty and aimed it towards the ref. He avoided a penalty and let the ref know of his frustration. So what does he do in retaliation? Oh, not much... Except strip rookie running back Daryl Richardson and give the Redskins a chance.

And let's not forget, London intercepted a pass in the end zone on a Rams drive that could have seriously deflated us earlier in the football game. London Fletcher may not be getting the bulk of the tackles (thus far) but make no mistake about it, he's still the predator on our defense, and every time someone has the football, they're in his sights.

He is everything we've ever wanted in a player on our roster, and hopefully RG3 is looking towards him to help guide his career. Yes, they play different positions, but the style, leadership, poise and dedication that #59 has should be admired by everyone.

We have two really exciting people that we get to watch (among others). An electric, young quarterback and, in my opinion, a Hall of Fame linebacker. So while there's not a ton of positive in the loss yesterday, keep in mind that we're witnessing an era of football that is truly special.

Thank you for coming back, London.

HTTR

With all due respect to London Fletcher, who made two HUGE plays late in the game, until then, he was not having a Fletcher-like game. Early on, he over pursued a couple running plays that gave Jackson giant cut back lanes for big gains. London got beat in coverage early on, and on Jackson's long run, Fletch takes a terrible angle that allows Jackson the big gain inside the 10 instead of making the tackle for a more modest 8-10 yard gain.

I was remarking to my friend early that Fletch did not seem to be having his usual solid game in the first half, and he watched more closely at the beginning of the second an said he saw what I meant. It gets glossed over in the fact that he made two enormous plays late, but the entire defense, Fletch included, were pedestrian for much of the day.

With all due respect to London Fletcher, who made two HUGE plays late in the game, until then, he was not having a Fletcher-like game. Early on, he over pursued a couple running plays that gave Jackson giant cut back lanes for big gains. London got beat in coverage early on, and on Jackson's long run, Fletch takes a terrible angle that allows Jackson the big gain inside the 10 instead of making the tackle for a more modest 8-10 yard gain.

I was remarking to my friend early that Fletch did not seem to be having his usual solid game in the first half, and he watched more closely at the beginning of the second an said he saw what I meant. It gets glossed over in the fact that he made two enormous plays late, but the entire defense, Fletch included, were pedestrian for much of the day.

i noticed this as well. a couple overpursuits and a missed coverage or two (though i dont know if he's to fault there). but he really picked it up in the second half, more than enough to pick up for his previous faults imo.

The "Urlacher or Fletcher" question gets harder and harder.

Not for me. I take Fletch. Urlacher has been very good in Chicago but he gets by these days more on hype than actual production. Fletch is a PLAYER and a leader that any team would kill to have. I think he deserves to get in the HOF but sadly I think he gets hosed.

Not for me. I take Fletch. Urlacher has been very good in Chicago but he gets by these days more on hype than actual production. Fletch is a PLAYER and a leader that any team would kill to have. I think he deserves to get in the HOF but sadly I think he gets hosed.

I think he'll get the Art Monk treatment...takes WAY too long, but it will eventually happen. People are starting to notice him

I think he'll get the Art Monk treatment...takes WAY too long, but it will eventually happen. People are starting to notice him

king-goodell.jpg

London, we know you have superior stats and longevity compared to Urlacher. Hell, you even have a ring. We just think you don't have "it".

Hell, even Kiwanuka has "it".

Archived