Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Onion: Redskins Fans Can't Remember How To Cheer A Quarterback

#98QBKiller

http://www.theonion.com/articles/redskins-fans-cant-remember-how-to-cheer-a-quarter,29573/

Redskins Fans Can't Remember How To Cheer A Quarterback

635.jpg

ST. LOUIS—During Sunday’s game against the St. Louis Rams, Washington Redskins fans across the country were reportedly having an extremely difficult time remembering how to cheer for a quarterback. “So wait, what I am supposed to yell when he’s on the field?” said longtime fan David Fenners, 47, adding that he “completely blanks” on how to conduct himself when Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III completes a pass, scrambles for a gain, or throws for a touchdown. “It’s something like ‘Go!’ or ‘Throw!’ right? Or maybe I’m just supposed to clap. I haven’t actually cheered for a quarterback since Mark Rypien, and that was like 20 years ago, so I honestly don’t remember what I’m supposed to do here.” At press time, confused Redskins fans were booing Griffin until they could think of something better to do.terminator.gif

It's too believable for it to be an onion article. Going to Fedex can be a study in fans not knowing how to cheer for their football team.
I would dispute that. Redskins fans are among the most intelligent in the NFL. A Gallup survey showed that 52.7% of Skins fans knew that they should make noise when the defense was on the field and not the offense without being prompted by the Jumbotron. Only the Patriots fans at 53.1 % were higher.

I would dispute that. Redskins fans are among the most intelligent in the NFL. A Gallup survey showed that 52.7% of Skins fans knew that they should make noise when the defense was on the field and not the offense without being prompted by the Jumbotron. Only the Patriots fans at 53.1 % were higher.

My evidence is purely anecdotal and based on personal experience at FedEx so I am happy to agree that you are right and that skins fans are indeed awesome.

Having said that 53.1% is the best?! That's so much worse than I would have expected.

My evidence is purely anecdotal and based on personal experience at FedEx so I am happy to agree that you are right and that skins fans are indeed awesome.

Having said that 53.1% is the best?! That's so much worse than I would have expected.

I made up those numbers, of course. It hs always amused me that football fans can't stop getting loud when their offense is on the field.

I think the Onion, at its best, is still as funny as ever. The only difference is now they put out so much more material because they publish to the internet, so a lot of it just isn't as funny. Their 'American Voices' section still cracks me up.

The Redskins article actually made me laugh. (It was also a nice reminder that outside of 2 terrible throws -- 1 pick, and 1 almost-pick -- RG3 actually played a pretty good game and converted some key third downs in a pretty intense environment).

I thought it was funny. Geez, tough crowd.

I mean the point of the article is that we finally have a good quarterback, can't we be happy?

I think all of the displeasure toward the article has something to do with people viewing it as an attack, instead of some light-hearted fun.

I mean is it so farfetched a premise that they can't joke about it? We boo the hell out of Rex Grossman in the preseason while he is going 9-9 and multiple TDs, after a season full of terrible quarterbacking. Now we have a QB that 25 other teams would kill to have at this very moment (up that number when he's in his prime).

Lighten up people, not every joke about the Redskins is an attack. Maybe back-handed compliment, but oh well, I thought it was okay.

I think all of the displeasure toward the article has something to do with people viewing it as an attack, instead of some light-hearted fun.

Lighten up people, not every joke about the Redskins is an attack. Maybe back-handed compliment, but oh well, I thought it was okay.

No, not the reason at all. I've enjoyed the Onion for years but this article wasn't funny at all. They have lost their touch recently. It has nothing to do with the story focusing on the Redskins.

Here are some of their classics:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chinese-laundry-owner-blasted-for-reinforcing-nega,1563/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/****-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/

I mean is it so farfetched a premise that they can't joke about it? We boo the hell out of Rex Grossman in the preseason while he is going 9-9 and multiple TDs, after a season full of terrible quarterbacking. Now we have a QB that 25 other teams would kill to have at this very moment (up that number when he's in his prime).

I thought it was pretty funny -- very Step Brothers Awkward Hug...

Archived