Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King's MMQB - New Section, the Deep End, looks at Griffin

DogofWar1

Peter King's MMQB, love it or hate it, has a lot of information the morning after most of the games happened. This week, there was more Redskins than usual, with the unveiling of a new column, The Deep End, which looked specifically at Griffin this week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/10/Week1/index.html

Unveiling a new section of the column: The Deep End.

I asked Neil Horsnby of ProFootballFocus.com, the site that examines plays by breaking down all 22 players' roles and performances on every snap, to look at a matchup of the week for me. He'll provide the breakdown of a specific matchup, or how one player performs in a big game.

For Week 1, fortuitously, I asked Hornsby to provide data for Robert Griffin III's first regular season NFL start at New Orleans. Here's what the ProFootballFocus.com study of Griffin's play showed:

• Pressure: Griffin felt pressure on only eight of 31 pass drops, in part because of his quick release. On his drops when he didn't scramble, he averaged 2.1 seconds between the time he got the snap and the time he released the pass. Good game-planning by the Shanahans, obviously, to make sure the suspect Washington line could protect Griffin long enough for him to find an open man.

More at the link, including Nick Sundberg winning Dr. Z Unsung Man in the Trenches of the Week, and this gem from Vick:

Quote of the Week I

"Oh man, I gotta get out of Cleveland.''

-- Eagles quarterback Mike Vick, after throwing four interceptions (it should have been five, but for a drop by a Browns rookie linebacker on the game-winning touchdown drive) at Cleveland Browns Stadium Sunday and barely surviving.

Did anyone catch Weeden's QB rating after the Eagles game?

Talk about the opposite end of the spectrum to RGIII. Gee.

Hail.

Or, if you're into ESPN's QBR, Griffin was 4th best this week at 92.3. By comparison, Vick was 25th with a 25.4 and Weedon was...well, last...with a 1.2......yeah.

Other rookies went: - 20th, Luck, 39.2

- 24th, Wilson, 27.6

- 27th, Tannehill, 3.1

Link here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

The break down on that column says that RGIII did not throw a go or deep route - that's not true. We threw a go on that 4th and 1 to Aldrick Robinson that drew the PI call in the end zone.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 03:42 PM ----------

Or, if you're into ESPN's QBR, Griffin was 4th best this week at 92.3. By comparison, Vick was 25th with a 25.4 and Weedon was...well, last...with a 1.2......yeah.

Other rookies went: - 20th, Luck, 39.2

- 24th, Wilson, 27.6

- 27th, Tannehill, 3.1

Link here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

I just watched the Colts Bears game. Luck missed some throws and did not have a great game but he is lucky to be alive behind that line. If the Colts don't improve their pass pro and call some plays which allow Luck to use his mobility and get out of the pocket they will get him killed.

Man, he just loves to type, doesn't he? Good grief.

Of all that bloviating, this is really the only comment that stood out to me:

l. Now all you Washington fans know who DeJon Gomes is. Second-year corner from Nebraska, 146th player picked in 2011, opportunistic kid who got the clinching interception for the Redskins at New Orleans.

Uh, yeah we know who he is, Jack. He started five games for us last year. I'm glad now YOU know who he is but some of us actually follow this team all the time, not just when they win. Now why don't you go back and talk some more about Tebow.

I should send a suggestion for a new section of King's column called, "Go **** yourself Peter King".

Agreed. This jackhole flip-flops more than a flounder out of water. I can't take anything that skunk-headed jerkoff says seriously.

Yeah, but keep in mind that the passer rating formula unfairly weights being smothered by a giant American flag during pregame.

Have to admit. This was good. :ols::ols:

This jackhole flip-flops more than a flounder out of water. I can't take anything that skunk-headed jerkoff says seriously.

I wish I had tracked all the so called pundits that said RGIII would struggle against the Saints and that the Redskins would have no chance down there.

These are the same so called pundits now claiming that they are not that surprised and that the reason RGIII did so well was because the Redskins have better pieces surrounding him. Really? Who were the idiots that forecasted the Redskins to go 2-14? Hey, we are half way there!

Man, he just loves to type, doesn't he? Good grief.

Of all that bloviating, this is really the only comment that stood out to me:

Uh, yeah we know who he is, Jack. He started five games for us last year. I'm glad now YOU know who he is but some of us actually follow this team all the time, not just when they win. Now why don't you go back and talk some more about Tebow.

Let's not overlook the fact that he called him a corner, lol.

Archived