Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*Recent* history suggests we have a 20% chance to make Playoffs!!!

hunterx

Optimistic thread warning :)

I went back 8 years and learned something extremely surprising. I first wanted to know how many teams with double digit losses made the playoffs the following year. To much surprise, over the last 8 years, it was actually more than one team each year making the playoffs.

Given that 10 teams had double digit losses this year, it's safe to assume that 2 of them will make it, giving us a 20% shot! With the Eagles' Vick banged up, the Cowboys Austin and Witte banged up, maybe we have a good opportunity.

Playoff Year - Team - Record Previous Year

2011 - Broncos 4-12

2011 - Bengals 4-12

2011 - Texans 6-10

2011 - Lions 6-10

2010 - Seahawks 5-11

2010 - Chiefs 4-12

2009 - Bengals 4-11

2009 - Packers 6-10

2008 - Falcons 4-12

2008 - Ravens 5-11

2007 - Redskins 5-11

2007 - Buccs 4-12

2006 - Jets 4-12

2006 - Eagles 6-10

2005 - Redskins 6-10

2005 - Buccs 5-11

2005 - Giants 6-10

2004 - Jets 6-10

2004 - Chargers 4-12

Optimistic thread warning :)

I went back 8 years and learned something extremely surprising. I first wanted to know how many teams with double digit losses made the playoffs the following year. To much surprise, over the last 8 years, it was actually more than one team each year making the playoffs.

Given that 10 teams had double digit losses this year, it's safe to assume that 2 of them will make it, giving us a 20% shot! With the Eagles' Vick banged up, the Cowboys Austin and Witte banged up, maybe we have a good opportunity.

Playoff Year - Team - Record Previous Year

2011 - Broncos 4-12

2011 - Bengals 4-12

2011 - Texans 6-10

2011 - Lions 6-10

2010 - Seahawks 5-11

2010 - Chiefs 4-12

2009 - Bengals 4-11

2009 - Packers 6-10

2008 - Falcons 4-12

2008 - Ravens 5-11

2007 - Redskins 5-11

2007 - Buccs 4-12

2006 - Jets 4-12

2006 - Eagles 6-10

2005 - Redskins 6-10

2005 - Buccs 5-11

2005 - Giants 6-10

2004 - Jets 6-10

2004 - Chargers 4-12

No. Not according to EVERY radio "personality" on the NFL Sirrus channel. I listen to it every day; a glutton for punishment me thinks. The Redskins are dismissed casually by every single one of them and it pisses me off to no end. It is a three team race. THAT fact had been made abundantly clear to me. Today they were having people send in their playoff picks. The Colts were picked by some one. The Buc's multiple times. The Panthers. No one ever picked the Redskins. That's fine because it is mostly homer fans & that's cool-I understand (Chris Rock flashback:)). THEN they mentioned that a 10 loss team had made the playoffs for many years running. Did we get mentioned? Nope. THEN they said a rookie QB (1) had been in the playoffs for a few years in a row too. RG considered? No. I was befuddled, confounded, and angered. I really do ignore the media bias. I actually ignore it because frankly, we have earned that badge. However, we have improved immensely and are not the same team. They go over the improvements of every single team (not kidding here) and just gloss over/ignore ours. A caller actually made it through from DC today and asked this very question. "Why do you never even mention the Redskins or their improvement, ever?" Their response is that we haven't improved enough to truly warrant discussion in the mighty NFC East, and weren't worthy of consideration. That is what they said in their words. Yes the Giants at 9-7 and blah, blah, blah. If you want to see how the media views us, spend a day on the Sirrus NFL channel. I HOPE the players check it out sometimes and get pissed off. They should (I do). I certainly would in their shoes. Sorry for the rant. This has been bugging me all day. HTTR :logo:

They also glossed over the NFL offensive rookie of the year canidates. All Luck, Richardson, Tannehill, ect, but Robert Griffin III? Nope. No one picked him even once. They said not enough weapons, weak O-line, and weak running game (Rich Gannon wears this one out). I seriously wonder if they have seen us in preseason at all. Oh well, it's up to us to prove them wrong. HTTR

These kinds of threads make it hard to keep reasonable expectations. Logic says not to get too hyped yet, but these make me wanna believe it could be us sooner rather than later.

Keep it up! Positive thinking, people!!!

Here's the deal-the odds are stacked that 1 or two of the first year guys will make the playoffs. It's a different era. (Sirrus NFL radio does not understand this shift in philosophy/coaching) Here is a brief read on the paradigm shift in NFL rookie quarterbacks now. Needless to say the "clipboard holding" days are gone. Fast track now and AWESOME! IF you have RGIII.....HTTR

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Andrew-Luck-Robert-Griffin-III-Jake-Locker-Ryan-Tannehill-Russell-Wilson-rookie-quarterbacks-ready-now-082812

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 07:34 PM ----------

So you're saying there's a chance.

Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

*insert pessimist view*

No rookie QB picked #1 or #2 has ever finished .500 in their first season.

Would you post that stat if say, San Francisco didn't re-sign Alex Smith and put all their cards on the table and traded up with the Rams for the #2 pick and grabbed Griffin? I mean, we weren't the 2nd worst team in the league. Technically we were 6th worse, but I thing we were better than that.

---------- Post added August-31st-2012 at 08:04 AM ----------

However zero teams whom drafted a qb with the 1st or 2nd pick in the history of the NFL have had a record better than .500.

Same to you.

After this cap debacle, after this stellar pre season, we better - BETTER win the East. I want that so bad. I want Shanny to hold up the banner "NFC EAST CHAMPS" this season. I want him to look into the camera and take the 200,000 fine from the FCC and say something to the effect of "Mara, 'go make children with' yourself". If we win the division, the sky's the limit for this team. I want to see our defense crush people. Not by allowing few yards, literally fill the ambulances. This skins team needs a chip on its shoulder. We've been under dogs for 20 years now. To quote momma from the waterboy, "The chickens are coming home to roost, [Mara]. You'll rid yourself of yo' foolish ways. You gonna lose all your fancy "foos' ball" games, and you're gonna fail your [fan base], because [cheating] is- THE DEBIL!" /rant

Would you post that stat if say, San Francisco didn't re-sign Alex Smith and put all their cards on the table and traded up with the Rams for the #2 pick and grabbed Griffin? I mean, we weren't the 2nd worst team in the league. Technically we were 6th worse, but I thing we were better than that.

sure I would...I would just add the caveat that there's a first time for everything.

Archived