Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW: The World Is Not Ending

E-Dog Night

How do you figure that? Never said that expecting suck itself makes you happy, just that expecting suck and getting mediocrity does. You may meet people who deny this but most are just lying.

Go read my edit and you'll see where I'm coming from. Expecting to suck doesn't make you happy so, by default, you set yourself up TO NEVER BE HAPPY, lol. At least you'll only be unhappy when you lose... your way has only one option of being happy. My way has more than one and your guaranteed immediate (though perhaps temporary) happiness, at the very least. :)

What the hell are you talking about? lol :ols:

So was 1997 a year when the "sky is falling" crowd was right? According to you, the team met expectations, so the answer should be "no, they were wrong"....but you didn't list that season earlier. So the answer should be "yes, they were right" lol...

Yep, my Cowboy fan friend,

You learn nothing if everything goes perfectly. It's great that we struggled in a preseason game. It gave the young guys a whole half of themselves on film to look at. Find their mistakes, and learn how to correct them. This is what preseason is all about.

I'm not sure that the game planning, or lack thereof, was the issue. The biggest thing is that the starting O-line was simply over-matched by the Bear's D. They were pushing Gettis, in particular, around like a rag doll.

This. Teams DONT gameplan in preseason. Most teams don't gameplan so they can see the talent of the players, not trying to hide deficiencies of hte talent with the gameplan. And we didnt stack up well on the OL. Yes, with the zone blocking scheme you dont need to overpowerguys, but you do need to stop penatration. Which didnt happen

But this is why I am not concerned: Gettis is a rookie, and kind of undersized at that. It would be have been almost weird to see him consistently hold off Idonije.

Imagine if, say, Brian Orakpo was going up against an undersized rookie. You'd expect Rak to dominate. And the career of player that he dominated would not be over based on that one game. It would be a learning experience, and that's ok.

For me, 6-10 is ok, 5-11 is depressing, 4-12 or worse and I just got hit upside the head with some sky.

---------- Post added August-20th-2012 at 04:44 PM ----------

The sacks has more to do with Mike Martz's scheme than anything else. Watch, you will not see the same issues this year. Not even close.

The greatest return man in NFL history is Cutler's #2.

Agreed. Marx and his scheme (alot of 5 and 7 step drops) put alot of pressure on a OL that wasnt great. That wont be the case this year and Cutler should have more success (like he did agaisnt us). As for WR, Chicago is in really nice shape. I'm not even sure Devin Hester cracks the top 3. Alshon Jefferies looked pretty damn good out there.

Okay, going to try and tackle this one.

1.) The playcalling. Shut up about the ****ing playcalling. At the end of the day the complaints about the play calling have nothing to actually do with the play calling, and everything to do with wanting to see what the offense looks like in a game where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

The Colts ran a zone-option read on the goal line last night, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why in the hell you'd want to put the fact that you have that in your playbook on film in a preseason game, and not even as a wrinkle to fool the Steelers first string offense, but to get a cheap touchdown (that wasn't even supposed to be called a touchdown) against the number 2's. Congrats, Bruce Arians---guess what's on our film reel in preparation for this week.

I get it. Everyone wants Griffin to go out there and sling it around, and hell, for the last decade or so, preseason has pretty much been the regular seson for all the success it brings.

Why did we run a draw on 3rd and long? Because why the hell not? It's preseason. It doesn't ****ing matter. It's got little to nothing to do with "having Griffin read and throw" and everything with us as fans WANTING him to throw. And ironically enough some of the same people who are complaining about Griffin not throwing the ball enough are the first jerks to complain about Kyle not running the ball enough.

2.) I can't stress this enough---it's ****ing preseason. It's time for learning and evaluation, PERIOD. That is literally the only reason preseason exist.

3.) Where the hell were all you worry worts last week when RG3 did well? Oh, like a week ago, everything was hunky doory, the team did a good job of managing him, last week we were looking good. This week? PANIC MODE. One not-even-as-bad-as-you-think game later (seriously, go back and watch it, actually watch it) and now all those people who were either all behind the teams plan of decided to shut up and not say anything are crawling out of the wood work throwing around 4-12 seasons. Give me a freaking break.

4.) Also, it doesn't matter how long you've been rooting for this team. "I've been rooting for this team 30 years and for 20 years they sucked and they need to get better now!". Maybe you need a new hobby. Why make yourself miserable every Sunday for 20-freaking-years. You're freaking out over a friggin' preseason game.

The article is right. The world is not ending because we didn't have our best showing in preseason. Preseason doesn't matter. Period. The playcalling in preseason doesn't matter. The points in preseason don't matter.

The only thing that matters in preseason is putting some good and bad things on tape, adjusting to game speed, knocking the rust off for veterans, and escaping healthy. Period. Bottom line.

---------- Post added August-20th-2012 at 07:10 PM ----------

Agreed. Marx and his scheme (alot of 5 and 7 step drops) put alot of pressure on a OL that wasnt great. That wont be the case this year and Cutler should have more success (like he did agaisnt us). As for WR, Chicago is in really nice shape. I'm not even sure Devin Hester cracks the top 3. Alshon Jefferies looked pretty damn good out there.

Not only the 5 and 7 step drops, but he'd run 5 and 7 step drops with out keeping help in.

They went out and got Jay exactly what he needed; big receivers and big tight ends that can catch jump balls. Jay looked comfortable being back in that West Coast-style offense. he was getting the ball out quick, and his ability to slide and evade pressure is always an underrated aspect of his play.

People say our pass rush didn't get there and that we got "torched", but we didn't. Well, on the first drive, Cutler more or less showed how talented Cedric Griffin was; Cutler looked off D-Hall (who was playing single high safety), then came back and hit Marshall.

But our starters buckled down after that. We missed a couple tackles, but again---preseason. Preseason without a whole training camp full of hitting and live tackling. The Bears starters scored one last time when they got a short field after RG3's fumble. But the other drives either ended with a punt, or a field goal, which is what you want.

People treated being down 17-10 at the half was like a death sentence.

This. Teams DONT gameplan in preseason. Most teams don't gameplan so they can see the talent of the players, not trying to hide deficiencies of hte talent with the gameplan. And we didnt stack up well on the OL. Yes, with the zone blocking scheme you dont need to overpowerguys, but you do need to stop penatration. Which didnt happen

I cannot find much to feel good about after that 1st Qtr.

my issues with what I saw was the realization that Chi probably didn't game plan either and blew the 'Skins out.

hopefully it was just an off nite and the bears just happened to be jacked.

thankfully, it's pre-season and there's still time for improvement to set in.

Hail!

That 1st quarter was a snapshot of the upcoming season. I am still waiting for RG3 to have wings giving him the ability to fly into the air. That'll be the only thing that could support drafting him. Nothing on the oline was addressed, I feel bad for the guy. It'll be ugly to watch the giants and eagles front vs our oline. But hey, I am just being optimistic.

That 1st quarter was a snapshot of the upcoming season. I am still waiting for RG3 to have wings giving him the ability to fly into the air. That'll be the only thing that could support drafting him. Nothing on the oline was addressed, I feel bad for the guy. It'll be ugly to watch the giants and eagles front vs our oline. But hey, I am just being optimistic.

HA! Wow. That was pretty funny.

...Oh wait, your serious. Huh. I figured something this stupid must be a joke...

I'm always full of optimism in August, it's still having a drop of it left in the well by the holidays that has been the struggle the last decade. So as usual I have high expectations for this team during this time of the year. This is also when you have alot of optimism coming out of the players and coaches. And in recent years past, its usually around the holidays that the will to win is beginning to escape them (or may even be completely gone for many of them), and they just seem to be going through the motions. However, what is driving my optimism slightly more this year is that the roster turnover is starting to be significant enough that the roster is now composed of a group of guys who have no memories of those seasons that ended by the halfway point. Those players of years past who played for the big contracts and bought into the sinking ship, losing mentality time after time, are all gone. And If they can stay relatively healthy, they'll keep getting better at the execution of the playbooks (especially RG), and carryover some of that fight we saw at the end of last year (where they still attempted to at least compete eventhough there was hardly anyone left standing), they'll be ok. IMO its a very similar situation to what were seeing the Nats & O's this year.

So you consider drafting three offensive lineman in this draft, drafting Trent Williams in 2010, signing Chris Chester, Willie Smith, Tylor Polumbus, Mo Hurt doing nothing?

Forget that noise! At halftime Shanny should have grabbed the nearest waterboy and gave him "the diamond cutter" right off the taping table....jumped up and said you see fools...you play like that again and i'm gonna hurt some body!

Seriously though we'll be meh until everyone is comfortable together on offense. I still say it'll be mid season then.

Fletch will get the D up n runnin in no time on the other hand.

Was that one of the worst games you have seen the 'skins play or what? 1st quarter looked worse than when coach Zorn was here! I still say it will be a few years yet. That is if they get smart and draft some young ol and dl too! Maybe get rid of the defense coach all together. I don't know whats going on but, not much to be proud of with this team anymore. When Gibbs 2 was here at least they still had a decent defense. Now thats gone.

Was that one of the worst games you have seen the 'skins play or what? 1st quarter looked worse than when coach Zorn was here! I still say it will be a few years yet. That is if they get smart and draft some young ol and dl too! Maybe get rid of the defense coach all together. I don't know whats going on but, not much to be proud of with this team anymore. When Gibbs 2 was here at least they still had a decent defense. Now thats gone.

I wouldn't blame the mods one bit if they put this place on a freeze for the 4 weeks during preseason. Stupid piled on top of stupid.

Seriously, can we have a moratorium on stupid for the next couple weeks?

You're kinda a new kid on the block NCL, so it's understandable for you to think that would be possible.

Aint gonna happen though.;)

And just wait till RGIII has a iffy game when they actually start to count.:evilg:

Damn. That's two posts of yours I've read tonight that just leaves me wondering what all is going on in there...

NLC and Bifflog beat me to it, but there is way too much stupid in this thread. I always stick up for Redskins fans when other fans trash ours, but there are definitely some of you out there who need to work on your football IQ. Very possibly your overall IQ as well.

How can somebody look at the past few drafts and offseasons and say "the OL has been ignored?" HOW!? Can one of you numbnuts explain that to me?

We're talking about the ****ING PRESEASON!

You're kinda a new kid on the block NCL, so it's understandable for you to think that would be possible.

Aint gonna happen though.;)

And just wait till RGIII has a iffy game when they actually start to count.:evilg:

Always great to see a poster from Salisbury LOL sometimes I think I am all by myself here.

Re peoples reaction the truth is if more fans would be realistic and understand the RG3 is a rookie, and that the line could be a question, and that every drive is not going to end in TD's overreaction to bad play wouldnt happen.

All the media love and positive energy the Redskins have had about Griffin has truly sent some of us into a state of absolutely insane and unrealistic expectations. Saturday was good in the fact that maybe it can be a little reality check for some, not that this team will be horrible or anything like that because we just don't know yet... but that we can start to temper Madden fueled expectations of what a rookie QB can do and maybe let the kid take his lumps a little.

Archived