Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

rantsports.com: NFL Rumors: Mike Shanahan Implementing Baylor’s Offense with Washington Redskins?

http://www.rantsports.com/washington-redskins/2012/08/17/nfl-rumors-mike-shanahan-implementing-baylors-offense-in-washington-redskins/

I’ve attended Redskins’ training camp off and on this summer and it was evident – the Redskins were practicing an offense that’s simply uncharted territory for majority of the league. From naked boots to option reads and pistol formations – there’s only a few that can athletically accomplish those types of plays schematically and Griffin may end up being the best at it. Take away his legs and Griffin has one of the best young arms in the game. Adding his athletic ability maximizes what’s simply been untouched for the most part in the NFL.

Mike Shanahan is doing a great job of tweaking the offense to fit what Griffin does best. In a way, this kind of answers my question on why I didn’t see Robert throw over 30 yards during training camp. They used training camp as a learning experience and now that camp is over, I’m sure they’ll start working the “luxury’s” with deep balls being Griffin’s strength.

I've never played football other than sandlot stuff but I have to think that this training camp, other than the heat, is a lot of fun because it's, as stated, uncharted territory. Speaking of which, how's the team chemistry? Seems great, but what do people who know about "T.C." think compared to other teams and past Redskins teams?

I think the offense we're building will be exciting to watch...guys like Griffin, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, Helu, Royster, Davis, and Young could be together for a very long time given their ages.

If you keep going down that path, it looks even better:

RG3

Garcon

Morgan

Hankerson

Helu

Royster

Hightower

Morris

Young

Davis

Paul

Trent Williams

Gettis

LeRibeus

That's a crapload of yoots lol...

This may also finally show the uninformed which party it was that was truly unwilling to change in the Shanahan-McNabb thing.

That's a good point, however, I can see why Shanahan wouldn't want to adapt to the "throw the ball at the receivers feet" style offense.

That's a good point, however, I can see why Shanahan wouldn't want to adapt to the "throw the ball at the receivers feet" style offense.

The Worm Burner offensive system was a staple of McNabb's game!

People were talking about how Shanahan was unwilling to adapt his system to fit McNabb's strengths. Now it looks more like McNabb refused to wear the wrist band, didn't really study his playbook, wanted to run the same plays he was comfortable with in Philly, and blamed Shanahan for his own failures.

Paging McNabb and all the other idiots who claimed Shanahan would never adapt his offense to a player's strengths.

Well, I hate that I'm about to do this and it's coming from someone who ALWAYS defends the team/organization/coaches over any player, but here goes...

It's still possible that Shanahan would treat the situations differently. On one hand, you have a 33-34 year old mercenary who might be here for a couple years. On the other hand, you have a 22 year old rookie drafted by the team and who will hopefully be here for over a decade. So, it's not illogical for a coach to be inflexible with the former and flexible with the latter.

Well, I hate that I'm about to do this and it's coming from someone who ALWAYS defends the team/organization/coaches over any player, but here goes...

It's still possible that Shanahan would treat the situations differently. On one hand, you have a 33-34 year old mercenary who might be here for a couple years. On the other hand, you have a 22 year old rookie drafted by the team and who will hopefully be here for over a decade. So, it's not illogical for a coach to be inflexible with the former and flexible with the latter.

I knew something like this was going to come up.

A good coach can coach all he wants, it's up to the player to do what he asks. Just from the things that we know, we can tell that McNabb wasn't on board with Shanahan, and he still put up some good numbers. Same thing with Jake Plummer. Both QB's resisted, but they still performed. With Cutler, you can tell he was on board with Shanny and he was one of the hottest young QBs in the league.

Then there is Elway and Steve Young, both QBs were 100% on board with Shanny and both are in the HOF.

So yes, it might be harder for Shanahan to cater to an older vet versus doing something for a rookie, but when somebody has the track record that he has, I think it would be best if you just hear him out.

The most crucial about catering an offense to suit a quarterback is that you need a guy who is skilled enough to make it worth all that effort. Seven years ago, McNabb was worth it. Two years ago, that had ceased to be the case.

The ironic thing is, McNabb's over-inflated ego blocked him from seeing that, so what does he do? He goes on TV and blames someone else for his failings, citing other people's ego as the problem.

Griffin DOES have the skills to make it worth it, which is why Shanahan is making the effort. This catering to RG3's skill set is NOT a reaction to anything McNabb said; it's just logical coaching.

McNabb will probably go to his grave believing otherwise.

But forget about McNabb. How exciting is this??!?!? We may see an offense which has never been seen before in the NFL, when taken as a whole.

To say I don't give a crap about McNabb or anything he says is an understatement.....but remember we still have to deal with the coming revolt of white fans if we struggle out of the gate. I mean, Skip Bayless has spoken and he's never wrong.....

To say I don't give a crap about McNabb or anything he says is an understatement.....but remember we still have to deal with the coming revolt of white fans if we struggle out of the gate. I mean, Skip Bayless has spoken and he's never wrong.....

...revolt of white fans...?

I don't get it.

Skip Bayless said a couple of months ago that RGIII was going to be a bust here because white Redskins fans hate black QBs. Do a thread search about it and you will find it.

He was also saying that Griffin would be run out of Indy because the majority of Colt fans are White

Skip Bayless said a couple of months ago that RGIII was going to be a bust here because white Redskins fans hate black QBs. Do a thread search about it and you will find it.

That's note quite what he was saying...he's till a moron though.

What he was saying is that it was a mistake to draft Cousins because it would put too much pressure on RG3. He said the reason it produces pressure is because the white fan base would be quick to call for the white backup QB if RG3 were to struggle.

With that one point, Skip Bayless totally invalidated himself in my mind.

---------- Post added August-17th-2012 at 01:25 PM ----------

Baylor's offense was really simple, fun, and easy. You could take the whole thing, incorporate it into an NFL playbook, and hardly notice that it was there.

Their primary mode was an option, bubble-screen that worked a lot like a pick & roll from basketball.

If the CBs played off, they would just run the bubble screen (one WR fades back to catch, one or more others swing into blocking position.

If a CB came up to disrupt the screen, the blocking WR would launch on a fly, and RG3 would throw a 40-10.

If a safety rolled over to cover the fly, that WR would run a stop route.

They would do this many plays in a row, often moving from one side of the field to the other.

If you go and watch Baylor's 2011 games...I'd say 40% of RG3's throws came from this setup. On the highlight reel, you just see the fly's for TDs, but if you watch the plays in sequence, you'll see bubble, bubble, fly, stop, stop, stop...then..finally, the D takes it away.

Once the D has taken that away, they would shift to other things...like option draw plays to take advantage of the spread-thin defense.

The problem is, an NFL defense isn't going to allow them to milk that the way Baylor did.

So, sure, they can run some Baylor-like plays, but you can't just run the Baylor offense.

That's crazy....although I have read some very "provocative" comments on various Colts message boards.

I may be completely fabricating that, I know Skip would deny it, but I heard it somewhere from some talking head on some tv show :)

Archived