Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread (National Signing Day)

ixcuincle

It's funny listening to all the VT haters. If winning 10+ in the ACC is so easy, why doesn't media darling FSU win 10+ every year?

And outside NCSU playing Tenn and Clemson playing Auburn in Georgia, no other ACC school played a team worth a damn. Elon? William & Mary? Richmond? Murray St? Liberty? FIU?

VT is a small town school doing things the right way. Why do they get the hate?

EDIT: I fully expect Sparty will stop by eventually and lecture us on why THIS Jimbo Fisher team will finally return to dominance

Bravo man, Bravo. You go from tearing VT apart saying they'll never be a top tier team, then you go right back to defending them when someone agrees with you. And then you deflect and try to throw FSU under the bus. I must have missed when VT won 2 national championships and had one of the most dominating decades in history.

edit: and GT scores. They're back on top.

I simply stated VT is not a top 5 team. But they will always be in the top 10 because of playing in the ACC. Unlike FSU which starts int he top 10 and ends up almost out of the rankings.

And keep haning your hat on the past, I'm sure it'll help you guys win another National Championship soon... Can't wait to see how Dumbo fisher and FSU plans to fail this year.

Funny 'cause they're probably gonna join GT out of the top 25 soon. Can't wait to see FSU choke their way to #20+ again this year.

That may very well happen, but from those two schools perspective, VA Tech didn't look very intimidating tonight.

I'm a JMU guy so I'm use to college football futility.

That may very well happen, but from those two schools perspective, VA Tech didn't look very intimidating tonight.

They never do (on opening night). That's my whole problem with Beamer. Never prepared for the season openers and this year is no different.

It's funny listening to all the VT haters. If winning 10+ in the ACC is so easy, why doesn't media darling FSU win 10+ every year?

And outside NCSU playing Tenn and Clemson playing Auburn in Georgia, no other ACC school played a team worth a damn. Elon? William & Mary? Richmond? Murray St? Liberty? FIU?

The only reason people hate them is because they 1) can't win championships and 2) choke every year and 3) have a bandwagon fanbase. 2 of those are pretty valid, but the strong fanbase in Virginia / DMV area is no reason to hate.

I notice its usually from people who a) don't cheer for FBS programs at all or B) just trolls.

What I find interesting is people I know who went to SEC schools or Big 10 schools like OSU really don't care about Virginia Tech either way. They have real programs.

This team is what it has been the last decade, a pretty good 10-2 team at the fringe of the top 10. I don't see how its "overhyped or overrated." In fact, we generally end up outranking our preseason rank, if anything VT is usually underrated

Tonight was the typical first game of the season in a Beamer era, boring sloppy offense, terrific D, and a tough opponent.

You just won a Nat'l Championship a couple years ago. And expanded the stadium. And will jump to big time CFB. Be proud man!

I notice its usually from people who a) don't cheer for FBS programs at all or B) just trolls.

What I find interesting is people I know who went to SEC schools or Big 10 schools like OSU really don't care about Virginia Tech either way. They have real programs.

This team is what it has been the last decade, a pretty good 10-2 team at the fringe of the top 10. I don't see how its "overhyped or overrated." In fact, we generally end up outranking our preseason rank, if anything VT is usually underrated

Tonight was the typical first game of the season in a Beamer era, boring sloppy offense, terrific D, and a tough opponent.

I found myself cursing in a chat repeatedly about how badly the offense was playing until the 4th. How much longer until Stinespring goes? I'm tired of seeing this offense falter and fail repeatedly.

They didn't even do anything until the playbooks were opened a bit and Logan explored downfield. And that was in the 4th. I can't wait for the day when VT joins the 21st century and uses a spread offense.

They never do (on opening night). That's my whole problem with Beamer. Never prepared for the season openers and this year is no different.

The team is prepared fine, its just that there are always enough new guys in young spots to make it a test. We have only lost 4 games in November since 2004.

---------- Post added September-3rd-2012 at 11:52 PM ----------

I found myself cursing in a chat repeatedly about how badly the offense was playing until the 4th. How much longer until Stinespring goes? I'm tired of seeing this offense falter and fail repeatedly.

They didn't even do anything until the playbooks were opened a bit and Logan explored downfield. And that was in the 4th. I can't wait for the day when VT joins the 21st century and uses a spread offense.

For a VT guy you should know that Stiney doesn't call the plays anymore.

And we were using the Pistol O. I just didn't see a point in having TE's out there.

VT will likely have the #1 D in the ACC, even though FSU gets all the cred. The dine is 8 deep, the secondary has unreal athletes, and the LBers are good. Foster thinks this D has the chance to be the bet D in school history.

still, this hurts them from being nationally relevant. Their rankings while not bad, aren't very consistent.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/app_final_team.cfm?TeamID=128

last time they were relevant was '99, maybe '00 as well. I personally think Beamer is overrated but it would take a disastrous string of seasons for him to be booted out.

VT will liely ave the #1 D in the ACC, even though FSU gets all the cred. The dine is 8 deep, the secondary has unreal athletes, and the LBers are good. Foster thinks this D has the chance to be the bet D in school history.

I agree and they played a great game against GT and that option tonight. I am happy this game is done and over with, such a pain in the ass to play GT and that offense.

Wonder why he was sitting in the booth... probably distracting o'cain. I heard the announcers say that VT was practicing the spread offense and trying to become more offensively potent in the off-season. Then they showed a shot of Stiney and I literally LMAO.

For a VT guy you should know that Stiney doesn't call the plays anymore.

And we were using the Pistol O. I just didn't see a point in having TE's out there.

Well, the coach responsible for offense was doing an abysmal job. It felt like Steiney :ols:

---------- Post added September-3rd-2012 at 11:56 PM ----------

The main thing holding this team back from a championship is offense. I wish we ****ing had that kind of Oklahoma State or Oregon offense. Even the West Virginia high-octane offense. We don't have anything close to that. We don't have the personnel. And it makes me mad

You just won a Nat'l Championship a couple years ago. And expanded the stadium. And will jump to big time CFB. Be proud man!

We will get there in due time, but it is infuriating at times. I'm convinced our coach is insane. We really stumble down the stretch as of late :/

Well, the coach responsible for offense was doing an abysmal job. It felt like Steiney :ols:

---------- Post added September-3rd-2012 at 11:56 PM ----------

The main thing holding this team back from a championship is offense. I wish we ****ing had that kind of Oklahoma State or Oregon offense. Even the West Virginia high-octane offense. We don't have anything close to that. We don't have the personnel. And it makes me mad

Its been that way since MV1 left.

Accept it and enjoy the games for what they are. This program has lots of wins and incredible consistency. If the stars ever align you'll hopefully get to experience what I did in 1999 and 2000 again. Fun times having superman play for us.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/app_final_team.cfm?TeamID=128

If I'm reading this right I don't think you guys have exceeded expectations since '08, and that was marginal improvement. For the most part, the team has faltered as of late. For tech fans sake, maybe you guys can break into the top 10 by seasons end this year.

How the hell does FSU get all the love when this is their schedule:

Murray St (FCS)

Savannah St (FCS)

Wake Forest

(14) Clemson

@USF

BC

@Miami

Duke

@(17) Virginia Tech

@Maryland

(23) Florida

If they finish less than 10-1, they should be unranked. Florida will be out of the rankings in a few weeks (their QBs are both garbage, and they can't score). I can't see Clemson repeating what they did last year, and the game is at home. @VT appears to be the toughest game on their schedule, and according to everyone in this thread they are chumps too. So if FSU loses a game, they should be out of the national championship discussion, right? Because no one that wins the ACC is qualified, right? Or does that just mean anyone that has a good season isn't worthy, unless they are Miami or FSU?

How the hell does FSU get all the love when this is their schedule:

Murray St (FCS)

Savannah St (FCS)

Wake Forest

(14) Clemson

@USF

BC

@Miami

Duke

@(17) Virginia Tech

@Maryland

(23) Florida

If they finish less than 10-1, they should be unranked. Florida will be out of the rankings in a few weeks (their QBs are both garbage, and they can't score). I can't see Clemson repeating what they did last year, and the game is at home. @VT appears to be the toughest game on their schedule, and according to everyone in this thread they are chumps too. So if FSU loses a game, they should be out of the national championship discussion, right? Because no one that wins the ACC is qualified, right? Or does that just mean anyone that has a good season isn't worthy, unless they are Miami or FSU?

What in the world are you talking about? Who said that VT are chumps? Or is that your own warped perception? Miami isn't even ranked, and isn't going to be relevant in terms of contending for anything of note, for a long time, and I'm a Canes fan saying that. Preseason polls are always jacked up. Michigan probably probably shouldn't have been ranked as high as ey were. Some SEC teams probably shouldn't have been ranked as high as they were either. It's Week 2 for crying out loud.

What in the world are you talking about? Who said that VT are chumps? Or is that your own warped perception? Miami isn't even ranked, and isn't going to be relevant in terms of contending for anything of note, for a long time, and I'm a Canes fan saying that. Preseason polls are always jacked up. Michigan probably probably shouldn't have been ranked as high as ey were. Some SEC teams probably shouldn't have been ranked as high as they were either. It's Week 2 for crying out loud.
Have you read this thread? VT is overrated and gets too much respect. It is written in black and white. And FSU is the pick of multiple media talking heads at ESPN to play in the BCSCG.

Not true. Over the last decade VT has only outranked its preseason ranking in three out of the 10 seasons ('04-'05, '05-'06, and '08-'09) in both the AP and Coaches polls. So "generally" (i.e., 7 out of the 10 years) they finished no better, or worse, than their preseason rankings.

Link

Archived