Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday 8/7: Training Camp Tweets/Comments/and yes, What Not (2 Days until 1st preseason game)

John Keim ‏@john_keim

Dear #Redskins fans: RG3 is a rookie who has yet 2 play a snap in a game. Pls exhale. No 1 expected immediate perfection. Love, reality.

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 05:18 AM ----------

The Insider ‏@Insider

Washington Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson having a strong training camp: It has been a solid training camp... http://wapo.st/RXj9vB

HogsHaven.com ‏@HogsHaven

Shanahan paused practice yday to remind team to play smart after Trent Williams decked Josh Wilson on an INT return. http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/08/06/redskins-training-camp-day-10-afternoon-shanahan-rg3-j-wilson/

foxsports.com: RG3 expects success in 'Skins debut

Robert Griffin III had plenty of success in college, so the Washington Redskins' rookie quarterback expects the trend to continue when he makes his NFL debut in Thursday's preseason opener at Buffalo.

''I'm not gonna make it too big to where I can't seize it, so go out, have fun and do what Coach asks me to do,'' Griffin said Monday. ''I think I'll be more anxious than nervous. When you're anxious you can't wait to go succeed. You just gotta go out and play the game. It'll be an eye-opening experience and I look forward to it.''

The expectations are high for Griffin, for whom the Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis to move up four spots and draft second overall in April.

Coach Mike Shanahan quickly anointed the 22-year-old Heisman Trophy winner from Baylor the starter and the face of the franchise, one that started 21 quarterbacks the past 19 seasons while only reaching the playoffs three times.

''I don't ever shy away from expectations or people trying to put pressure on me to be great,'' Griffin said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/robert-griffin-iii-expects-success-in-washington-redskins-debut-080612

RedskinsFanZone ‏@RedskinsFanZone

#TwitNewsNow Washington Redskins: 3 Biggest Takeaways from the 1st Week of Camp http://dlvr.it/1ylvpn #NFL

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 05:43 AM ----------

That last link didn't really lead to the article...here's the BR article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1286350-washington-redskins-3-biggest-takeaways-from-the-first-week-of-camp

3. Dan Snyder Seems to Have Learned Some Patience

[...]Any level of patience shown by Snyder is a breakthrough, and the fact that he mentioned Shanahan in the same breath as “the future” bodes well. While it’s clear that the results have not been ideal from Shanahan’s first two seasons in charge, the turnaround in attitude, age, salary and depth has been remarkable.

It seems that Snyder finally understands that consistency is what makes football teams winners, and stability forms a huge part of that. He knows that Griffin’s rookie year will not lead to a parade through Washington and that his initial development is inextricably linked to his coaches.

[...](2). Robert Griffin III Is Inconsistent, but He Learns Fast

Early reports from the week stated that Griffin was having some trouble rolling out to his left and making accurate throws; they also stated that he was holding onto the ball for too long—a luxury he would not be granted in the regular season.

Rich Campbell reported for the Washington Times that this particular throw is being practiced much more this year in Shanahan’s offense, so it is likely to be a stock throw in the new playbook.

[...]Of course, these things come with practice. Repetition is Griffin’s friend right now, and he improved throughout the week. His reactions were quicker, and by Saturday, Campbell observed that he was getting the ball out faster and running though his progressions faster and making good reads.

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 05:56 AM ----------

Good, now get to it. Your brethren (well, me, but all relative) are depending on YOU!

NOW GIT! BE THE BEST INTELLIGENCE FINDER THIS OUTFITS EVER SEEN!

Hail.

Some Skits Get ‘C’Mon Man!’ Reaction

But apparently not everybody was in a joking mood Thursday night — at least for a minute or two.

It appears that rookies Jordan Bernstine, Robert Griffin III, Richard Crawford, Alfred Morris and Grant Garner performed a skit Thursday night at Redskins Park that somehow targeted defensive lineman Chris Baker.

Training Camp Video: Offensive Line

Several youngsters are going to be counted on to step up and fill in possible holes in the offensive line, including Erik Cook, Grant Garner, Nick Martinez, Josh LeRibeus, Tom Compton, Willie Smith, Adam Gettis and Maurice Hurt.

Rookie Garner Enjoys D.C. Area History

(June 13th article)

As for the football side of things, Garner is not the only rookie offensive lineman from Oklahoma State participating in mini-camp activities for the Redskins.

Guard Nick Martinez is also a former Cowboy, and Garner said it’s been great having a college teammate to rely on while learning the pro game.

“It’s awesome,” Garner said. “It’s such a huge blessing. I’m very thankful that he’s here.”

Garner said getting a grip on a pro offense has been “really hard” and “competitive.”

“It’s a big adjustment,” he said. “I’m just getting used to it more every day.”

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 05:58 AM ----------

Daily Slop: Barry Cofield Says #Redskins Goal Is A Top 10 Defense; @RGIII is 'Ready to go' for First Game http://sbn.to/MhegQ7

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 05:58 AM ----------

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo

Reminder to #Redskins fans: today's practice is closed to public. Next open practice is Saturday.

(Well, this thread will be a short one lol...)

Sweet! A man taking an interest in the rich history of the area is a man planning on being around here for a long time. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

Good work Soldier. That's more info than I've seen since he's been here in one place. Keep them coming and there's cookies in it for you!

Hail.

WP: Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Kirk Cousins quietly goes about his business

Rookie quarterback Kirk Cousins seems likely to play quite a bit during the four-game preseason for the Washington Redskins that begins Thursday night in Buffalo.

Cousin says he’s eager for the opportunity.

“I haven’t been told directly as to how much I’ll play,” he said after Monday’s training-camp practice at Redskins Park. “But I’m going in with an open mind and expecting to get quite an opportunity in the preseason. I understand it’s my first opportunity to show what I can do and certainly the coaches, while they evaluate each and every practice, the games will carry that much more weight. It’s important that I play as well as I can. So I’ll be doing my preparation all this week and I’ll be excited for the opportunity to play an NFL game this coming Thursday.”

[...]“While I was surprised at the time of being picked and while it is unclear as to what my future will be—I guess that’s the case with everybody—I think at the same time I have settled in and I do feel there are a lot of blessings to being part of the Redskins,” he said. “I feel it’s a good fit. Again, time will tell what the future holds. But if I’m going to be as good as I hope to be, my opportunity will come and then the cream always rises to the top.”

Cousins’s development on the training-camp practice fields has been able to proceed with relatively little scrutiny, at least compared to the bright spotlight that finds every move made by Griffin.

“It’s important to be patient,” Cousins said. “Honestly, the pressure that could have been put on me from the outside isn’t going to exceed the pressure that I put on myself. Fourth-round pick, first-round pick—I’m going to put more pressure on myself than the fans could or the media could. I have high expectations for myself. I’m just going to keep working day in and day out and look forward to good things in the future.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/washington-redskins-rookie-quarterback-kirk-cousins-quietly-goes-about-his-business/2012/08/07/0f59b7d0-e050-11e1-a19c-fcfa365396c8_blog.html

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 06:42 AM ----------

5 Storylines to Watch Going into the Redskins at Bills Game http://sbn.to/O2BJD9

Cousins is right. Eventually he'll get an opportunity to play, and it's not exactly out of the ordinary for a 4th round QB to be at the bottom of the depth chart, RG3 or no.

This team sure is deeper than it used to be. Looking at the rough depth chart, the 2nd half should be entertaining to watch.

I can't believe it's 2 days away.

I would immediately stop running to the football if it meant getting decked by the Silverback. :ols:

I was thinking about this... I'll be that the defense is talking major league **** tot he offense... like "We have to score because you won't" type stuff and I think it's starting to boil over with a lot of the 2nd year plus players like Monty, Trent, and Paul.

I would immediately stop running to the football if it meant getting decked by the Silverback. :ols:

In my experience as a QB the trick is to make it look like you are running to the football after you throw a pick but ensure you find someone as small as possible to run into. The bigger they are the harder they fall on you ......

Well, thank goodness you included "whatnot" in today's reports. I always look forward to that.

But anyway, the game is 2 days away. Sucks that I can't see it live on TV. I have the DVR set for Friday at 4 PM on NFLN. I'll already know what the outcome is by Thursday evening. That's what happens in the preseason when you live out of the area.

Well, thank goodness you included "whatnot" in today's reports. I always look forward to that.

But anyway, the game is 2 days away. Sucks that I can't see it live on TV. I have the DVR set for Friday at 4 PM on NFLN. I'll already know what the outcome is by Thursday evening. That's what happens in the preseason when you live out of the area.

:violin:

You are not going to try and watch it on a streaming site?

Are you at least going to listen to Larry, Sonny, and Sam?

That would be Anthony Armstrong. aka, AA.

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

:violin:

You are not going to try and watch it on a streaming site?

Are you at least going to listen to Larry, Sonny, and Sam?

I'm so old, I wouldn't even know where to go to watch it online. I don't know how some people who are out of market watch the regular season games on a 15-17 inch screen. I prefer the TV. Preseason doesn't bother me though. I have Sunday Ticket every year (free this year, woo hoo!)

That would be Anthony Armstrong. aka, AA.

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

I'm so old, I wouldn't even know where to go to watch it online. I don't know how some people who are out of market watch the regular season games on a 15-17 inch screen. I prefer the TV. Preseason doesn't bother me though. I have Sunday Ticket every year (free this year, woo hoo!)

It's incredibly easy and I'll send you my phone number if you want to talk and I can help you set it up. Really, it's totally worth it. I prefer the tv too, but you work with what you got. I've been out of market without cable or anything for about 14 years now.

Peter King has some nicknames for the Redskins’ QBs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/peter-king-has-some-nicknames-for-the-redskins-qbs/2012/04/09/gJQA6BDAeX_blog.html

“Different SI assignment as of today,” King later wrote, when describing his Thursday destination. “Need to see Bills+BobGriff game.”

A D.C. fan then asked King to refer to Griffin as “RGIII.”

* “Enjoyed seeing BobGriff today,” King replied. “Lots of BobGriff fans there.”

So “BobGriff” is apparently a thing, inspired by Osi Umenyiora, who famously called RGIII “Bob Griffin,” which is different from “BobGriff,” but nicknames change, you know. Maybe RGIII hasn’t done enough in King’s eyes to earn the Bob Griffin nickname yet.

Oh, but that wasn’t all.

* “Groesbart/Cousins battle for 2d qB,” King also wrote.

Groesbart?

“Rex (The Bell Tolls For Thee) Groesbart,” he then clarified.

Since I’m an uncultured Philistine, I had to do some Googling to figure out that this referred to an episode of Seinfeld in which Kramer says “Listen to the bell, Grossbard, it tolls for thee.”

Don't give up your day job, PK lol...

Washington Redskins: Sav Rocca Has Training Camp Viewers in Awe

http://www.rantsports.com/washington-redskins/2012/08/07/washington-redskins-sav-rocca-has-training-camp-viewers-in-awe/

In the words of NFL Network Host, Rich Eisen – yes, kickers are people too! Washington Redskins’ punter, Sav Rocca has impressed me so much during training camp that I’ve decided to write a full article dedicated to him.

Sav Rocca was tied for 8th in the league in punts downed inside the 20 with significantly less punt attempts than those ranked ahead of him. Rocca punted 66 times in 2011 and the closest ranked ahead of him was 78 attempts, everyone else had 80+. He was indeed pro bowl worthy, but of course – being the popularity contest it is, Rocca was not selected.

Downing punts inside the 20 is where punters make their money. Offenses consistently having to start drives inside their own 20 makes it difficult for them to develop scoring drives.

Watching Rocca punt during practice is a thing of beauty, everyone is simply in awe. All you see are heads looking all the way up in the clouds when Sav Rocca boots a punt.

[...]It will be a travesty if Rocca doesn’t receive a pro bowl honor. There is no doubt in my mind, he’s one of the best punters in the league.

Archived