Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins training camp observations: Aug. 3 practice

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-training-camp-observations-aug-3-practice/2012/08/03/6c00bb68-ddd6-11e1-8e43-4a3c4375504a_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

●Robert Griffin III had his best stretch early in practice. During game simulation, Griffin completed nine of his first 10 passes. He was a lot more decisive than he was on Thursday. One element that forced him to get rid of the ball more quickly was the fact that officials would whistle plays dead as soon as defenders tagged Griffin. So, the quarterback had to deliver quickly to beat the whistles.

●The bulk of the Redskins’ struggles came with the offense backed up in the shadow of its own goal line. The defense pinned back its ears and brought the heat. The offensive line could do little to slow the pass rush. Around this time, Shanahan halted practice.

●Backup fullback Dorson Boyce had his best practice. He responded to Shanahan’s speech by catching a pass, turning upfield and steamrolling Lorenzo Alexander for the hit of camp so far. Boyce still is probably the team’s third fullback, as Chris Cooley lined up as first-team fullback the last two days. But Boyce was definitely more physical all-around today.

●Tanard Jackson got work both at free and strong safety while lining up with the second team. Jackson, who missed the first six practices of camp while working his way back from a calf injury, ran well. But he looked like you’d expect: a guy who’s trying to knock off the rust. For the second day, he had near misses on interception attempts, but couldn’t deliver. Today, Jackson made a diving attempt at an interception on a pass intended for Terrence Austin. He did knock the ball away. But he wasn’t so lucky the next time when he tried to jump Roy Helu’s pass route along the sideline. Jackson mistimed the Kirk Cousins throw, Helu made the grab and raced into the end zone for an 80-yard score. Despite the misses, Jackson could still contend with Madieu Williams for the starting free safety job as he becomes more comfortable. His versatility could also serve Washington well.

●The best player in camp today just might’ve been Leonard Hankerson. “Hanktime” continues to get open and make big catches. He looks nothing like he did last year. Hankerson appears well on his way to earning a key role in this offense as Kyle Shanahan moves him around and gets the same positive results regardless of where he lines up. Hankerson’s top competitor probably would be Josh Morgan, who is sidelined with injury.[...]

●Heads-up: Tomorrow is fan appreciation day, and the Redskins are expecting large crowds. Parking lots open at 8 a.m., gates open at 9 a.m.

●The best player in camp today just might’ve been Leonard Hankerson. “Hanktime” continues to get open and make big catches. He looks nothing like he did last year. Hankerson appears well on his way to earning a key role in this offense as Kyle Shanahan moves him around and gets the same positive results regardless of where he lines up. Hankerson’s top competitor probably would be Josh Morgan, who is sidelined with injury.[...]

So excited to see what Hank Time can bring to this team on offense. I think he can be the legit number one or two the Redskins have lacked.

Hankerson might be the only guy in franchise history who I really wanted us to draft at WR...and it actually happened! Saw him play a lot at Da U, and he was routinely the best player on the field. Give 'em hell Hank!

Dude broke records that Irvin, Johnson, and Moss set, all with Jacory Effing Harris at QB. He has to be good. It's times like this I want to bump my "Draft Hankerson" thread.

Dude broke records that Irvin, Johnson, and Moss set, all with Jacory Effing Harris at QB. He has to be good. It's times like this I want to bump my "Draft Hankerson" thread.

Bump away. I hope he breaks out. I had a dream where Hank watched a lot of Art Monk footage and patterned his TD spikes after him. Nobody looked cooler spiking a football than Art Monk.

Back on topic...on August 3rd there were several other Redskins who were watching Hank be the best player on the field. :)

Man, People really don't know about this receiving core for the Skins at all. All I heard about in the offseason was Yeah the skins got RG III, but they have to surround him with weapons and their receivers are decent at best blah blah blah. I'm telling you right now, if this group stays healthy, they are going to surprise a lot of people, but not me. Outside of Gronk and Graham, I expect Davis to be right up there and Garcon and Hank are going to catch a ton of balls. Best Receiving Core the Skins have had in a VERY long time. It's not just Moss and Cooley anymore. RG III is in the most ideal situation of any Rookie QB by far. He's got a ton of options out there

I wanted the Skins to draft Hank in the 1st, thats how badly I wanted him on this team. As a fan of The U, I knew he was a beast. And now hes on my beloved Redskins, I couldnt be happier. Garcon is gonna be playing second fiddle by week 6.

I love the U too...

This offense can be so great when hank and garcin can step up! We really need good WR

---------- Post added August-4th-2012 at 11:53 AM ----------

I wanted the Skins to draft Hank in the 1st, thats how badly I wanted him on this team. As a fan of The U, I knew he was a beast. And now hes on my beloved Redskins, I couldnt be happier. Garcon is gonna be playing second fiddle by week 6.

I love the U too...

This offense can be so great when hank and garcon can step up! We really need good WR

Pretty good article, and I like a lot of what it says, but what sticks out to me is "The offensive line could do little to stop the pass rush" :mad:

Hopefully that's more of a statement of how good our pass rush is. I guess time will tell.

Well, he said they were fine in sustaining drives, but when they had the offense backed up to its own endzone, the OL had problems.

Which is somewhat understandable. That is a tough place to be.

Keep in mind, too, that we are getting all this from a reporter, not a coach. His interpretation may not be the coaches. :)

EDIT: This article on the BRBN....

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?367836-CSN-The-heat-gets-to-the-Redskins-Shanny-huddles-them-up

....seems to indicate that it was more a problem with the heat for everybody rather than an OL breakdown.

I hope Garcon is playing second fiddle by week 1.... I think a WR core with Hank, Garcon and Moss would be pretty sick... and gives a good mix of players..

I love what we hear about Hankerson. But I'm not really getting what people are saying about wanting Garcon to be second fiddle. The teams with good WR depth always focus on exploiting a matchup that week. Check out Aaron Rodgers, each week a different receiver will get a ton of targets. So this is what I want for us. One week it could be Garcon getting a dozen targets. The next week it could be split evenly. The week after Hankerson or Moss etc.

I don't approve of the offenses where you just force feed one good player the ball. Atlanta's passing attack has been meh for awhile because of only having Roddy White (that could change with Jones). So while Roddy got great numbers every year, he wasn't really winning games. Check out Andre Johnson in Houston. Great player with great numbers, yet only one winning season.

I love what we hear about Hankerson. But I'm not really getting what people are saying about wanting Garcon to be second fiddle. The teams with good WR depth always focus on exploiting a matchup that week. Check out Aaron Rodgers, each week a different receiver will get a ton of targets. So this is what I want for us. One week it could be Garcon getting a dozen targets. The next week it could be split evenly. The week after Hankerson or Moss etc.

I don't approve of the offenses where you just force feed one good player the ball. Atlanta's passing attack has been meh for awhile because of only having Roddy White (that could change with Jones). So while Roddy got great numbers every year, he wasn't really winning games. Check out Andre Johnson in Houston. Great player with great numbers, yet only one winning season.

Agree. This is my last year playing Fantasy Football, so for me, I'd rather they spread the ball around. It makes it tougher on the defense and we used to do the same thing with the Posse. Never knew which WR (Monk, Clark or Sanders) would have an explosive day.

Cooley Lined up as FB a lot on Friday, he was even running the ball on 4th and 1 running plays.

I don't get this. I mean, I'm sure he'll be good, and can block as well or better than most TEs so why not FB, but it reminds me too much of Jansen playing some center before they decided there was no place for him.

I also remember seeing it called that Jansen was done here before anywhere else.

Does Cooley look done? What's going on there?

I don't get this. I mean, I'm sure he'll be good, and can block as well or better than most TEs so why not FB, but it reminds me too much of Jansen playing some center before they decided there was no place for him.

I also remember seeing it called that Jansen was done here before anywhere else.

Does Cooley look done? What's going on there?

Doesn't look done to me

Archived