Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24-7.com; Roster Battles: Who Stays And Who Goes in the Competition At Wide Receiver?

KCClybun

week-8-hankerson.jpg

Roster Locks:

Santana Moss: A few short months ago, it looked like Moss would be on his way out the door. The last memory many fans had of 89 was Moss tearing off his helmet in anger and frustration in the Redskins Week 17 lost to the division rival Philadelphia Eagles; a boneheaded move that contributed to a clusterfrak of plays that encapsulated an entire season. With a healthy up-and-comer, and the signings of two of the biggest names at wide receiver on the market, Moss looked to be on the outside looking in.

Moss then showed up when the Redskin began offseason workouts 15 pounds lighter, and way more determined. Perhaps it was seeing the revitalized career of another 89 and the drafting of a certain quarterback that inspired to cut down his weight and try and get more spring back in his legs. Moss has apparently been going off in practices and looking a little like his old self.

If Moss can regain some of his old form, the veteran receiver could play a crucial role in the slot for Robert Griffin III.

Click here to continue reading.

to reinerate a point i made in a previous thread... We finally have a great deal of depth at the WR position. And is actually (on paper) probably the deepest position on the team (probably outside of Linebacker).. I'm excited to see what we can do with all these weapons.. its going to be a FUN season! :)

Nice work there, we have been consistently seeing some outstanding commentary on the Skins beyond the run-of-the-mill mediot rehash.

What makes me smile is the actual competition, there are a lot of possible combinations depending on who steps up, not just who's left that we have to settle for like in years past.

Good read, although I wouldn't call Josh Morgan one of the biggest names on the FA market lol

From what I've read he was actually garnering a lot of interest on the market.

After V-Jax, Garçon and Laurent Robinson, that second tier of guys, Morgan was one of the top guys on the list. At least that's what they were saying on NFL Network during the initial free agency rush.

Nice write up NLC.

My initial thoughts on who stays outside the top 4 IF Shanahan decides to keep only 6 (with Paul moving to TE) were that Armstrong and Robinson would get it. Armstrong would be given a chance to do 2010 again, only with a generally more competent offense and QB, while Robinson is young, fast, and can't be put on the PS anymore, as he'll get snagged.

However, after hearing how Banks added muscle and went to Waco, maybe he gets back in the mix. I'd still like to see if he could fit into a Sproles style role. The biggest problem is that Sproles probably has 30 lbs on Banks. We'll see, I'm still skeptical, but I think he he's been upgraded from life support.

Austin has got to be gone. The guy had his shot before Morgan and Garcon arrived, and did nothing. Time to let him go and wish him luck elsewhere.

I don't know much about the UDFAs, though some write ups on Lewis were positive with minor quibbles, which you reflect in your piece. I'd like to see him and maybe Hanks get on the PS, thought we might have to pull a Robinson half way through the year and bring him up.

Regardless, there should be a very good crop of guys this year. I'm pretty confident in our top 4, assuming they are 100% back from injuries.

From what I've read he was actually garnering a lot of interest on the market.

After V-Jax, Garçon and Laurent Robinson, that second tier of guys, Morgan was one of the top guys on the list. At least that's what they were saying on NFL Network during the initial free agency rush.

Lot of potential there I guess. I wasn't thrilled initially with the Morgan signing, but I think he's got a good skillset that can really help RGIII get accustomed to the pro level.

Well, the top 4 is obvious and I think TA gets the 5th. With 4 RBs and 4 TEs, I think we only carry 5.

Bruce Allen said at one point that we would probably keep 6 WRs and 4 TEs. If we only did 5 we'd lose some potentially good players. IMO, if we only keep 5 I think Robinson gets it, he's the youngest and probably has the most upside.

NLC - l loved it. With a little editing I would have sworn this was a professional piece. Loved the video support.

I'm curious if Shanahan prodding Banks was more an attempt to not let Banks get complacent than an actual threat. I'm torn on Banks personally, but take away the stupid penalties on returns and I feel like he'd have multiple tds and would grade out as one of the better returners (though he has had plenty of mental mistakes).

Although our wrs are (at the moment) the weakest in our division, I love that three of our guys are potential number 1 guys. Granted, we'll be lucky if one of them reaches their potential, but there is some serious talent there.

Although our wrs are (at the moment) the weakest in our division, I love that three of our guys are potential number 1 guys. Granted, we'll be lucky if one of them reaches their potential, but there is some serious talent there.

Meh. I really don't think we have the weakest group of receivers. I think our wide receiver core has the potential to be far deeper than at least the Cowboys.

Outside of Miles Austin and Dez Bryant (who Jerruh has called out about being out of football shape and who totally disappears in the second half of games and who can't run routes), they've got big, giant question marks at receiver. They've got not slot guys, no guys who have really stepped up in training camp, they couldn't sign anyone or bring anyone in. So just looking at it on paper, I think we're better off the the Cowboys are.

Meh. I really don't think we have the weakest group of receivers. I think our wide receiver core has the potential to be far deeper than at least the Cowboys.

Outside of Miles Austin and Dez Bryant (who Jerruh has called out about being out of football shape and who totally disappears in the second half of games and who can't run routes), they've got big, giant question marks at receiver. They've got not slot guys, no guys who have really stepped up in training camp, they couldn't sign anyone or bring anyone in. So just looking at it on paper, I think we're better off the the Cowboys are.

Fair enough. I guess I think that their two starters are, for the moment, better than our two starters (whoever jabs those spots). After those two though, I definitely like our guys are better.

I wouldn't be surprised if our wrs show better yhan the cowboys this year. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if our guys end up comparing favorably to every other Wr group in the league (though it's not likely, at least not this year). I'm very optimistic about this group.

This is sort of my thinking, and I think it applies to all the teams in the east honestly. Our top 2, who I assume will be Garcon and Moss, are probably not quite on the level of the other top 2 receivers in the east, but I think Josh Morgan is better than any other #3 in the east (probably Ogletree, Avant, and either Hixon or Randle), and Hankerson probably turns into quite the player too. Our top 4 are definitely better, in terms of combined ability, than the top 4 on the other teams in the east.

Josh Morgan was considered a bust by the SF 49ers. Despite being provided numerous opportunities he simply couldn't stay healthy to break-in to the starting line-up.

For me, the Skins lack speedy tall, strong, physical WRs. We should have grabbed Laurent Robinson instead of Josh.

I think Moss, Garcon, and Morgan are guaranteed spots. I hope Hankerson makes it. Armstrong and Banks are on the outside looking in. Neither one had done much last year. Bank has lost several steps in speed, and appears to be a one trick pony!

Josh Morgan was considered a bust by the SF 49ers. Despite being provided numerous opportunities he simply couldn't stay healthy to break-in to the starting line-up.

For me, the Skins lack speedy tall, strong, physical WRs. We should have grabbed Laurent Robinson instead of Josh.

I think Moss, Garcon, and Morgan are guaranteed spots. I hope Hankerson makes it. Armstrong and Banks are on the outside looking in. Neither one had done much last year. Bank has lost several steps in speed, and appears to be a one trick pony!

1.) 6th Round picks don't "bust".

2.) Even if the first part about him being a bust wasn't bull, the fact that the 49ers were trying to re-sign him seems to indicate that no, the 49ers didn't think he was a "bust".

3.) He broke into the starting line-up for the 49ers and was their leading receiver until Jim Harbaugh decided to run up the score versus the Bucs in the fourth quarter. He was also a starter for 11 games in 2010. Oh, and he was a starter for 15 games in 2009.

4.) Laurent Robinson is an inch taller than Josh Morgan. He also had one of the league's best quarterbacks throwing to him, with teams panicking to take away Miles Austin and Dez Bryant and Jason Witten AND DeMarco Murray. Oh, and he only started 3 games for the Cowboys, despite Miles Austin being hurt for 6 games. Robinson is a pure slot receiver who bounced around from team to team and only has one year of any sort of remarkable production. No. No we shouldn't have gotten him instead of Josh Morgan. Calvin Johnson he ain't.

5.) Hankerson is already a lock.

6.) Are we still on the speedy, tall receiver thing? Seriously?

Great read.... I wonder if we're that "NFC East team" willing to give a 3rd rounder for Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft? If so, what does that do to the bubble guys?

EDIT: One thing that makes some level of sense about this potential move, is with our cap hit, an unexpected cut of Moss or someone could make sense thinking into next year, and getting a cheaper, younger guy making more cap room available.

I don't think its us, but hypothetically if there IS an NFC East team willing to invest a 3rd in Gordon, and its us...then it destroys the prospects of all of the "bubble guys". Armstrong, Banks, Austin, Lance Lewis all lose the small chance they had (with Lewis likely ending up on the PS).

Robinson makes it for his ST's value as well as his receiving ability, though.

We'd be looking at:

Garcon

Hank

Moss

Morgan

Robinson

Gordon

Archived