Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Breaking Down the State of the Redskins: Wide Receivers (w/ WR Depth Chart)

rd421

If Banks has no chance to succeed at wideout, why is Shanahan wasting everyone's time?

I think he has a chance, however small it may be. Or, perhaps Shanahan jumped the gun when he said he must produce at wideout. All it takes is another preseason filled with dazzling returns, and Shanahan will basically have no choice but to find a spot for him.

Know that I am predicting Banks does end up cut, but just have the feeling it won't happen without someone filling the PR spot. Who are the fans predictions of our PR next year, I am curious.

Austin, who I think is another cut candidate? Moss... maybe Buchanan?

Because Mike is ALOT more fair then most people think/portray him. The same reason he is giving Cooley a shot to impress him and the same reason he gave Moss (who made the most of his shot) one. Mike puts his players in position to step up and be better than they have been. He is giving Banks a shot to surprise everyone and create competition.

I disagree with you that Morgan is a possesion reciever - he's listed at 6'1", but his verticle is only 36" right now. We all hope it gets back up, but its not a given. He's also a known for more of being a speedy WR from all I've read/heard/seen. That together doesn't equal "posession reciever".

Really? First, a 36 inch vertical is actually pretty decent for a WR. And the guy is still recovering, so it may get better but if it doesnt, it's still a pretty good verticle. All that being said, I dont thing ANYONE looks at a guys verticle to determine if a guys is a "posession receiver" or not. You look at 2 things, Can he run a route and does he have good hands. Being a larger body helps (able to shield guys from the ball) Josh is 6'1 and 215. While not big, he isnt small either. Here is a Scounting report from a San Fran point of view before the trade:

"Josh Morgan is a promising prospect to become the 49ers #1 receiver. Since Josh Morgan was drafted in 2008 he has shown signs of ability to assume the role of #1 receiver. He has good hands, is not afraid to go across the middle and is an excellent down field blocker.

In his first season Morgan contracted a staph infection and was lost for most of it. In his second season, still recovering from the effects of the infection, he led the team with a 15 yard per catch average, until Michael Crabtree arrived when it dropped to 7. In the 2010 season Morgan caught several key passes in a season that most 49ers and fans alike would like to forget, including going up for the ball in the end zone for the lone TD in Kansas City. Josh is a guy who has shown repeatedly that he can go up for the ball in the end zone and come down with a decently thrown pass.

During the 2011 season Morgan had 15 catches for 220 yards in 5 games, prior to an unfortunate broken ankle that placed him on IR. Morgan statistically was on pace to approach 1,000 yards receiving, this in a run oriented offense. Had he not sustained the injury he was well on his way to solidifying his bid for number one receiver.

Josh Morgan is a guy cut from the mold of Jerry Rice. He’s quiet, humble, unassuming and like Rice is a consummate team player, leader and excellent downfield blocker. This guy is a must for Baalke to get back into a Niner uniform."

Good hands and will go across the middle. Fighting Crabtree for #1 WR status. Can he go up and get jump balls now? Maybe, maybe not but that was not the question and the only thing his verticle was really good for. Can he still be a "posession WR"? Of course and that fact he has good speed is a plus, because he can also stretch the field.

Because Mike is ALOT more fair then most people think/portray him. The same reason he is giving Cooley a shot to impress him and the same reason he gave Moss (who made the most of his shot) one. Mike puts his players in position to step up and be better than they have been. He is giving Banks a shot to surprise everyone and create competition.

I can buy that.

When you say he is not an NFL receiver, it seems to look past your own thought that competition can make one. I just don't think it will be so cut and dried that he is NOT a WR. Our #5 rarely gets any snaps anyways. You don't actually have to produce significantly in a position, to be listed there.

Sure, he doesn't line up wide but once a year, but he has played there, has been on an NFL team for 2 years, and is currently listed as a WR.

FWIW, he has done much more in the NFL than anyone he is competing with. Everyone in camp will be hard pressed to beat him out at PR proper.

I think Mike is just trying to light a fire under his arse because he needs that 6WR slot to go to 3QB.

Moss is the perfect build for a slot receiver. He has slowed down a little, so his speed isn't as much of a trump card for corners anymore. However, when going up against linebackers and safeties, his quickness is still an asset, and he can exploit the coverage weaknesses of said linebackers and safeties.

Hasn't moss always been a mis-match for these guys? Yet, he still hasn't performed very well from the slot. I think moss is poised for a comeback season, I just think he's going to get most of his yards out wide.

Edit: I could have swore you were captain cool last week, claiming I'm a brick wall.... Now you quote me... Sorry if that wasn't you, if it was don't expect another response

The top 4 are gonna be Garcon, Moss, Hankerson, and Morgan, no doubt about that, unless one of those last two is not healthy enough to play.

With Paul moving to TE, that leaves Austin, Armstrong, Banks, and Robinson. I think, Austin is probably out, he's had a couple years to show something, and hasn't and now he's got to compete with tougher competition. Banks might be out too, BUT his gaining bulk this offseason could maybe help him stay on the team. Maybe we can turn him into a Darren Sproles style player. Maybe. If not, then he's probably out, since he's just not able to return kicks effectively under the new rules.

I think Armstrong and Robinson are the two likeliest to make the roster. Armstrong is one dimensional, but with RGIII, maybe he can come in and do that one thing (deep bombs where he beats the defense) really well. Robinson is young and fast, and I'd like to see what he can do with a full offseason under his belt.

And on the rookie front, I'm expecting to see either Lance Lewis or Darius Hanks make the PS. Maybe both. I'd love to see them make something of themselves eventually, though I'm not holding my breath.

Weren't both Banks and Armstrong hampered by injuries last year? If I'm right about that, I believe the competition is still wide open for the 5th and 6th spots.

Armstrong, Robinson, Banks and Austin all have both upside and question marks. I'm guessing whichever guy(s) show the most improvement, particularly in the weak spot of their game, will make the squad.

Banks - flashy returner, needs to improve decision-making and show something at Wr.

Armstrong - great deep guy, needs to get off jams and show something on teams.

Austin - solid player (receiving, blocking and ST-wise), needs to step it up a bit at Wr and show himself as a reasonable replacement in the return game.

Robinson - quick, speedy receiver. Needs to show more polish on route-running and earn trust in the return game.

It'll be an interesting battle as each guy seems to have dedicated themselves (and they're healthy). I left off the rookies since they're virtually unknown factors, but obviously that could change.

Hasn't moss always been a mis-match for these guys? Yet, he still hasn't performed very well from the slot. I think moss is poised for a comeback season, I just think he's going to get most of his yards out wide.

Edit: I could have swore you were captain cool last week, claiming I'm a brick wall.... Now you quote me... Sorry if that wasn't you, if it was don't expect another response

Moss' skill set is his ability to run tight patterns (he has good speed but that has never been his game), good blocking (he is, or was considered one of the best blocking WR in the NFL) and confidence in his QB (even mediocre ones). Speed is generally the last thing to go, what you lose is your physical ability to run tight patterns while maintaining size (Moss has weighed between 205-220 most years he's been here) and getting old.

Archived