Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rum Drinkers, What is your favorite rum?

SC_RedskinsFan

Who get the oil ocean?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who get the oil ocean?

• JR Ewing
    • Daniel Plainview

^ That girl's cute, especially when she smiles.

right. I watch it like 5 times whenever he posts LOL

I like bacardi, but will drink just about any kind of rum. never mix it, always straight up. :)

For Dark Rum, Goslings... This rum is usually stored in charred wood barrels to impart flavor and coloring. It is made from molasses and it retains its natural flavor. Itā€™s dark, rich and heavy in body and is good to balance ****tails and other rums.

goslings-black-seal-rum.jpg?w=497

But when I drink rum straight, ( rocks or with lime)... I'm usually a traditionalist... I preffer the British Navy's brand...

pussers-rum-200.jpg

Naval Rum ā€“ This rum is associated with the British Royal Navy. The Royal Navy used to give a daily ration of rum to sailors as far back as 1655 when Britain captured Jamaica. Ships started to return back home with barrels of rum instead of Brandy because it improved as it aged on the journey home.

Around 1740 sailors started to water down rum and add lime juice to prevent scurvy. This would come to be known as ā€œGrogā€. The name came from Admiral Edward Vernon who wore a ā€œgrogram coatā€ and was nicknamed ā€œOld Grogā€ while he was aboard the ship. ā€˜Grogā€ also comes from the word ā€œgroggyā€ because that is how the sailors would feel after a night of drinking this concoction. Naval rum is used to represent the spirit of international adventure, honor and bravery. It is a rich, full body flavored rum.

Another story involving Naval Rum involves the Battle of Trafalgar by Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson. It was considered the largest British victory ever, but Nelson would be mortally wounded. Nelsonā€™s body would be put in a cask of rum to preserve it on the way back to England. When the ship arrived, the cask of rum was empty and Nelsonā€™s body was pickled. A hole was drilled into the bottom of the cask and the sailors drank all the rum and Nelsonā€™s blood. Rum got a new nickname ā€œNelsonā€™s Bloodā€ as well as ā€œTapping the Admiralā€ after this.

The first official purveyor of rum was Mr. Lemon Hart in the early 1800ā€²s and he registered it in 1888. Rum would be given as rations to sailors all the way up until July 31, 1970, which would known as Black Tot Day.

http://myamericandram.wordpress.com/rum/

Cruzian rum is the reason my uncle retired to St. Croix. He drank the three dollar a bottle stuff (back in '96) and I had no problem with that at all. Granted I never drank it straight, I would think the higher quality stuff would be better for that, but Cruzian cubas made my trip down there.

Yeah, the Cruzian rum is dirt cheap and very good. No 9 is spiced like Captain, but much better. The single barrel is like drinking whiskey and the regular dark is just easy drinking.

Drink Cruzian rum, support Americas paradise, we could use the support. :D

---------- Post added June-15th-2012 at 10:33 AM ----------

Pussers is awesome. I have a bottle I brought back from the USVI that I haven't opened yet.

Thats what they make their Painkillers with and its delicious. Never had it straight though

Making Painkillers with Pussers in the USVI? Blasphemy!

Yeah, the Cruzian rum is dirt cheap and very good. No 9 is spiced like Captain, but much better. The single barrel is like drinking whiskey and the regular dark is just easy drinking.

Drink Cruzian rum, support Americas paradise, we could use the support. :D

---------- Post added June-15th-2012 at 10:33 AM ----------

Making Painkillers with Pussers in the USVI? Blasphemy!

KB, is that sarcasm? I thought Painkillers traditionally were made with Pussers. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere

KB, is that sarcasm? I thought Painkillers traditionally were made with Pussers. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere

No freaking way my man. Cruzian dark and light rum, little coco lopez, little OJ and Pineapple juice, shake it up, sprinkle some nutmeg and float a tad of 151 on top.

I'm a bartender in paradise dude, that's how we make them.

Ordering Pussers on island gets some nasty comments from locals. We don't have much here, but we do make more rum per capita than anywhere else and we use it.

No freaking way my man. Cruzian dark and light rum, little coco lopez, little OJ and Pineapple juice, shake it up, sprinkle some nutmeg and float a tad of 151 on top.

I'm a bartender in paradise dude, that's how we make them.

Ordering Pussers on island gets some nasty comments from locals. We don't have much here, but we do make more rum per capita than anywhere else and we use it.

All of that makes sense, but there is definitely history with Pussers and Painkillers if you google it.

It makes sense that Cruzan is used though. Is the 151 a specialty thing of yours? I haven't had one that is capped off with 151

---------- Post added June-15th-2012 at 10:50 AM ----------

"The Pusserā€™s website has the history of this drink ā€” canā€™t say itā€™s all that exciting (bartender makes drink; another bartender tries drink; a mix-off develops; hangovers ensue; etc. etc. etc.) ā€” but itā€™s fair to say you canā€™t make a true painkiller without Pusserā€™s, a heavy, aggressive (95 proof) navy rum from the British Virgin Islands."

Considering the painkiller was supposedly invented in the BVI, this makes sense. Maybe they only make them like that in the BVI anymore, but that's the rum they originally used.

Well, two new kinds to try. Tip o'the hat to KoolBlue13 for the Cruzan dark and to JMS for the Gosling.

Goslings is only good with true Ginger beer like Barretts, aka the Dark and Stormy. Otherwise, black strap rum is nasty and I love black strap molasses.

Try Cruzian white or light if you like Bacardi clear and Cruzian dark to replace the gold, No 9 to replace spiced rums and the Single Barrel to sip on.

http://www.chairmansreserve.com/

http://www.rumgallery.com/chairmans-reserve-spiced.html

Chairmans-Reserve-St-Lucia-Rum.jpg

and

http://www.topshelfyachtprovisioning.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_90_83&products_id=192

Kweyol_Spice%20Rum_20120304-194423.jpg

The Kweyol is made and sold with actual vanilla bean/pod in the bottle. Very smooth.

I love both of them, and bring multiple bottles of them back every year when I go down to the W.I.'s

I mostly drink Captain, specifically Captain and Coke. I'll drink most other rums but the taste of Captain and Coke is "just right" for me. People recommended Sailor Jerry and I never really liked the taste of it... granted, most of my rum drinking is mixed with Coke.

When I was on my honeymoon in Turks and Caicos, we drank the local rum, Bambarra. It was a good spiced rum. Wish I could get that stuff in the states.

73556_161719803849053_2226535_n.jpg

Archived