Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per TMZ Junior Seau dead--suicide

G.A.C.O.L.B.

If your head is screwed up (and I don't mean the weak, ***** screwed up, I mean like actual physical damage screwed up) enough, those thoughts can come pretty easy and everyday life validates them frequently since you're acting based on pretenses that may be wrong.

When doctors tell you your head (and by association the very essence of who you are) ain't going to get better, EVER, and in fact is almost certainly going to get worse and worse, you start to weigh your present worth including your perception of what your future worth will be. Particularly if there's enough of you left to recognize it happening which Junior seemed like he had. What could be more frightening than that?

I feel for the guy and for his family too, but I can still see a situation where I get it. The wound the chest was obviously to satisfy a need for a postmortem of the brain and it's good for studies that don't necessarily relate to football players, too. I don't know what the docs will find when they look at his brain but I bet it's not good and having a damaged brain is not like having a damaged leg. You don't walk gimpy you think gimpy.

Not all people who come to the conclusion do so because it's easier or purely selfish. Life is not that black and white.

To try to put anyone's death, suicide or not, in a neat little judgmental package is clueless (even, or maybe especially, if you REALLY, REALLY believe it).

Damn I still love me some football though and I would've gone on with a career, had that been in the cards, despite knowing every bit of what they know now about it.

Dude was a selfish ****. I don't give a **** except for the pain his 4 kids and wife are now feeling. I love how immediately everyone has to make it that it was an NFL concussion thing and the lawyers and handlers are having the head examined. Whatever. No one knows the ****ed up **** going on in his life that made him take the easy way out.

Unfortunately you took "the easy way" out to think he made a selfish decision to kill himself. Suicidation is tightly linked to physical damage associated with repeat concussions/mild TBI. Suicidiation doesn't occur in everyone and some of us are more prone, but it doesn't make you the authority to be so judgmental.

That was a great post KAO.

I'd guess the suicidal tendencies were always there for him, but because of sports and his drive, he was able to stay ahead of them. Once he retired and had nothing to move forward to, they must have got the best of him. It's a real shame.

Not all people who come to the conclusion do so because it's easier or purely selfish. Life is not that black and white.

To try to put anyone's death, suicide or not, in a neat little judgmental package is clueless (even, or maybe especially, if you REALLY, REALLY believe it).

Awesome post.

"He's weak for killing himself" means "I'm strong for not killing myself" by default. To think you can understand somebody's entire life, perception, brain chemistry, disease, situation, feelings, etc... based on one action is ludicrous. Nobody really thinks they can do that. The judgement is just a deflection. But lots of people will take any chance they can get to make themselves look masculine by projecting weakness onto others.

Good post KAO. Then there are other scenarios where a clear thinking, non- injured person makes a conscious decision about his mortality. Fortunately, I never had to act on it while serving in the military engaged in combat. My wife knew not to expect to ever hear of me becoming a prisoner of war. I freely admit that I am not as strong as those who came before and after me who suffered torture and unspeakable atrocities. I would have taken the "easy way out." Many of us were committed to save an extra round in our sidearm if things got bad.

Good post KAO. Then there are other scenarios where a clear thinking, non- injured person makes a conscious decision about his mortality. Fortunately, I never had to act on it while serving in the military engaged in combat. My wife knew not to expect to ever hear of me becoming a prisoner of war. I freely admit that I am not as strong as those who came before and after me who suffered torture and unspeakable atrocities. I would have taken the "easy way out." Many of us were committed to save an extra round in our sidearm if things got bad.

That's having to face it for a reason that I hadn't thought about. I think I would do the same but regardless, it's as about as heavy duty a consideration as you're ever likely to have to make. Don't know that thanks are appropriate, or sufficient, to acknowledge it, though you have mine.

That's the exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about though. A situation that someone who hasn't walked the mile couldn't possibly have the slightest clue about - yet they feel obligated to be jerks about it instead of facing that it's one of those things where there isn't a right or wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Junior-Seau-Oceanside-San-Diego-home-burglarized-five-days-after-death-051512

Report: Seau's home burglarized

The home of former Chargers star Junior Seau was burglarized last week, just days after he was found dead, the North County Times reported Tuesday.

Seau, who played in the NFL for 20 seasons, was found dead by his girlfriend inside their home in Oceanside, near San Diego, on May 2, with a gunshot wound to his chest. His death was ruled a suicide.

*Click Link For More*

___

:doh:

• 7 months later...

Junior Seau Diagnosed With Disease Caused by Hits to Head: Exclusive

http://abcnews.go.com/US/junior-seau-diagnosed-brain-disease-caused-hits-head/story?id=18171785

team of scientists who analyzed the brain tissue of renowned NFL linebacker Junior Seau after his suicide last year have concluded the football player suffered a debilitating brain disease likely caused by two decades worth of hits to the head, researchers and his family exclusively told ABC News and ESPN.

In May, Seau, 43 -- football's monster in the middle, a perennial all-star and defensive icon in the 1990s whose passionate hits made him a dominant figure in the NFL -- shot himself in the chest at his home in Oceanside, Calif., leaving behind four children and many unanswered questions.

Seau's family donated his brain to neuroscientists at the National Institutes for Health who are conducting ongoing research on traumatic brain injury and football players.

A team of independent researchers who did not know they were studying Seau's brain all concluded he suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative disease typically caused by multiple hits to the head.

"What was found in Junior Seau's brain was cellular changes consistent with CTE," said Dr. Russell Lonser, chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University, who led the study of Seau's brain while he was at NIH.

Very sad. I think it's important to remember that Junior played 20 seasons at MLB...20 SEASONS!?! Perhaps, we should consider term limits or something like that for certain positions?

What is interesting is that it's becoming clear that while multiple concussions are a serious problem, the true danger in football, is the low-level repetitive blows to the head that happen dozens of times during games and practices.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 01:18 PM ----------

Dude was a selfish ****. I don't give a **** except for the pain his 4 kids and wife are now feeling. I love how immediately everyone has to make it that it was an NFL concussion thing and the lawyers and handlers are having the head examined. Whatever. No one knows the ****ed up **** going on in his life that made him take the easy way out.

"He was brain damaged" is probably the correct answer.

Of course, it could still be that he was simply not as mentally tough as you.

I wonder what old school coaches think about all this. They probably think nothing of it, cuz that's just the mentality of how things were done, but I was just listening to Marcellus Wiley talk about getting concussed just doing drills, like the Oklahoma drill. Which immediately made me think of Marty when he came here.

Archived