Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Comparing Michael Vick to RGIII, There is No Comparison

SkinsNoles21

Hey guys. I wrote this blog for StatSheet.com after I got tired of hearing average fans make the comparison. I was able to get Bram Weinstein to retweet it and JSteelzextreme so some of you may have already seen it ... but here it is:

Robert Griffin III is the most explosive runner at quarterback to come out of college since Michael Vick in 2001. That, however, is where the comparisons end. When it comes to the primary job of a QB, throwing the football, comparing Griffin III to Vick is like comparing apples to oranges. But I'll do it anyways, because others have felt the need to make the comparison.

For the purpose of this exercise I am not going to factor in rushing statistics. They are both electric runners with world-class speed who have the ability to put an offense on their back using just their legs. This, however, is about the quarterback position, where the goal is still, and will always be, to get the offense down the field using your arm.

As a freshman, Michael Vick was able to use his skills to lead Virginia Tech to a National Championship appearance vs. Florida State. No small feat for a freshman quarterback. He finished the season with 2065 yards passing, 13 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. He completed 58% of his passes.

In Vick’s second and final year, he regressed, completing just 54% of his passes for 1234 yards, 8 touchdowns and 6 interceptions.

As a freshman, Robert Griffin III completed 59.9% of his passes for 2091 yards, 15 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. After a knee injury in 2009 derailed his season, Griffin returned in 2010 to throw for 3501 yards, 22 touchdowns and 8 interceptions, while completing 67% of his passes.

Before moving on to Griffin III’s final season at Baylor, let’s compare his first two years to Vick’s only two years at Virginia Tech. Some things stand out:

read the rest here:

http://statsheet.com/blog/when-comparing-michael-vick-to-robert-griffin-iii-there-is-no-comparison

I can't stand when people make this comparison....it's VERY lazy.

Only thing they have in common is that they're both black and are fast. That's it.

*I'll get to the rest of the article later, but I agree w/ what you posted.

Thanks. Yes its very lazy ... and Im a white dude who almost never brings race into it ... but yeah, its because they are both black and fast ... people stop looking for similarities after that.

Once I looked at their college stats I found out just how lazy it really is.

Fact. I didnt even get into that ... bc its so obvious.

So obvious but should be the focal point and end all. Forget the commonalities of being black and fast, a QB. What about the person inside? No comparison in upbringing, in education, in character.

Curious how their rushing stats compare, though. Vick seems like an NFL runner (avoiding tackles) while RG3 was originally a track star (running in a straight line). I'm not doubting that RG3 is a great runner in the open field, but I think it lends some credibility to your argument that Beamer intentionally game planned for Vick to run.

While throwing the ball is infinitely more important, having the defense account for your legs would seem to give you an advantage in passing (one would assume).

Thanks. Yes its very lazy ... and Im a white dude who almost never brings race into it ... but yeah, its because they are both black and fast ... people stop looking for similarities after that.

Once I looked at their college stats I found out just how lazy it really is.

100% agree with you. I'm tired of hearing this. Griffin shouldn't be compared to a guy that was a subpar passer, because Griffin is a passer first. If there are going to be ANY comparisons, it should be with passers who were also mobile. Locker, Steve Young, McNabb, Randall Cunningham, heck even Doug Flutie is a more apt comparisons as far as the "style" of QB Griffin is.

His actual skill set and play looks more like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham, IMO.

Curious how their rushing stats compare, though. Vick seems like an NFL runner (avoiding tackles) while RG3 was originally a track star (running in a straight line). I'm not doubting that RG3 is a great runner in the open field, but I think it lends some credibility to your argument that Beamer intentionally game planned for Vick to run.

While throwing the ball is infinitely more important, having the defense account for your legs would seem to give you an advantage in passing (one would assume).

Most of RG3's runs were planned in the play. His rushing attempts were high but because it was a large part of the offense, not just because he'd just take off. I'd agree though, Vick was a runner, the guy was impossible to even get a hand on in his first few years, Griffin won't be that way. He'll be impossible to catch once he gets to the open field, but in college he didn't make people miss very often. The handful of times he did it was miraculous to watch but most often he'd see he had a step on someone and just try to beat them to the open space on the field.

I was at Virginia Tech when Micahel Vick was there.

There are no comparisions, they are 2 far different QBs coming out of college.

RG3 played in a passing spread offense, where as Vick played in an option/power running/deep ball offense.

The VT offense 1999-2000 was built on the I formation and options, along with the occasional Vick to Andre Davis deep ball.

Typical stat lines for Vick would be something like 6/11, 212 yards 2 TD passes 1 TD run.

RG3 on the other hand was throwing well over 30 times a game, short medium and deep. Vick rarely threw short, and there were a few intermediate routes.

It worked in 1999-2000 because there was nobody on the field who was in the same stratosphere as Michael Vick athletically. If you ever wanted to experience superman being on your team, that was it. He was simply unstoppable with what he did. His abilit to change directions but maintain peak speed is something I have yet to see matched.

But lets not confuse him in any way with the skillset and mindset of RG3. 2 totally different people and QBs

100% agree with you. I'm tired of hearing this. Griffin shouldn't be compared to a guy that was a subpar passer, because Griffin is a passer first. If there are going to be ANY comparisons, it should be with passers who were also mobile. Locker, Steve Young, McNabb, Randall Cunningham, heck even Doug Flutie is a more apt comparisons as far as the "style" of QB Griffin is.

His actual skill set and play looks more like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham, IMO.

I'd even throw a Aaron Rodgers in there, of the current QBs in the NFL, I think Griffin resembles Rodgers more than anyone.

Most of RG3's runs were planned in the play. His rushing attempts were high but because it was a large part of the offense, not just because he'd just take off. I'd agree though, Vick was a runner, the guy was impossible to even get a hand on in his first few years, Griffin won't be that way. He'll be impossible to catch once he gets to the open field, but in college he didn't make people miss very often. The handful of times he did it was miraculous to watch but most often he'd see he had a step on someone and just try to beat them to the open space on the field.

Thanks for that info! It always seemed to me that this is a critical difference when folks would try to compare RG3 and Vick. I can't wait to see RG3 working in Shanahan's offense!

Btw, nice write up SN12 - I meant to say that originally, but got sidetracked by my own post!

As a freshman, Griffin ran for 846 yards and 13 touchdowns ... Vick ran for 585 yards and 8 touchdowns. Griffin in his second year ran for 635 and 8 TDS ... Vick 617 yds and 8 Tds.

---------- Post added April-25th-2012 at 03:22 PM ----------

And that is something that I have been screaming since October; yet people keep on comparing him to Vick. He is not Vick/Cunningham, he is more Rodgers/Young.

Hell yes.

This is very true. Young and Griffin are very similar in terms of play. They are both highly mobile but are very accurate passers.

I've always felt that it was something of a shame that Young didn't get to develop effectively in the NFL and didn't get to start until his 8th season. If RGIII succeeds, I'm very much looking forward to it, since I would love to see just how deadly a Steve Young-like player would be if he started in his early 20s vs. VERY late 20s.

Very nice write-up. I think within 3 years the comparisons to Vick will finally die, and the more apt comparisons to similar players will begin.

Not to mention, RG3 isn't a douchebag like Michael Vick.

Haha! Absolutely!

---------- Post added April-25th-2012 at 03:32 PM ----------

As a freshman, Griffin ran for 846 yards and 13 touchdowns ... Vick ran for 585 yards and 8 touchdowns. Griffin in his second year ran for 635 and 8 TDS ... Vick 617 yds and 8 Tds.

So Griffin actually out produced Vick? Nice! Thanks for looking that up.

I admit I fell into that trap early on, when like many I didn't know enough about Griffin to make an educated opinion about him. I was wrong. I think it comes from a need by many people these days to tend to always try always categorize, label, and compare everyone and everything. Many of us fall into that trap and don't even realize it. As I have come to know Griffin...the comparison IS just flat wrong. They do both run fast, and they are both black. The comparison definitely should end there.

Archived