Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nirvana All Day.

Jethrodsp

I received "MTV Unplugged in New York" in the mail Monday and have been playing it ever since. Such an amazingly good album. It really has gotten me back into rock. What are some similar albums to this? Doesn't have to be live, it can be a studio album.

I think I'm gonna buy Coldplay- Parachutes cuz I've heard of them and that seems to have overall favorable reviews.

I'll probably catchheat for this but try Godsmack - The Other Side. It is their unplugged CD I like it but most do not.

As Joseph said to Mary, "come again?"

You do realize there were arguably 15 years or so of so-called of "Alt Rock" prior to Nirvana, right?

R,EM., The Replacements, The Cure, Joy Division, New Order, NY Dolls, Husker Du, The Ramones, all of the punk and hardcore bands of the late 70s and early 80s (Too many to name, but just a few include Black Flag, Stubby Little Fingers, Circle Jerks, Sex Pistols, Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, Dag Nasty, Dead Kennedys, Dead Mikmen, Agent Orange...and on and on).

Nirvana was great, and their impact and influence both musically and culturally was HUGE, but they certainly by no means invented "alt rock." They didn't invent grunge either. Alice In Chains' "Facelift" came out almost TWO YEARS before Nevermind.

RIP Staley and Cobain. Two iconic musical geniuses.

Welllll.. you could go back even further.. the Seeds, the Chocolate Watchband, Velvet Underground, Love, The Alarm Clocks, MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, the New York Dolls.. they paved the way for the punks of the mid-70s, who in turn paved the way for the entire "alternative' scene of the 80s.

There's always been alternative. In fact, I'd say by the time Nirvana came along, the "Alternative" scene had been co-opted and thus corrupted by the industry figuring out that there was a lot of money t be made marketing "alt rock"... and they turned it Mainstream.

By the time Nirvana hit big, REM was no longer alternative.. they were as mainstream as it gets. (Now, this isn't to say they sold out,, it's saying the industry caught up.)

I saw a Nirvana documentary one time,, I was not aware of the close friendship between Cobain and Michael Stipe, but it was there, and I also found it very interesting that Cobain believed John Lennon was one of his largest influences.

~Bang

I received "MTV Unplugged in New York" in the mail Monday and have been playing it ever since. Such an amazingly good album. It really has gotten me back into rock. What are some similar albums to this? Doesn't have to be live, it can be a studio album.

I think I'm gonna buy Coldplay- Parachutes cuz I've heard of them and that seems to have overall favorable reviews.

Coldplay? Good Lord man, don't do it.

Here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQPlq85Hedk

You have extraordinarily specific views on music.

I would argue that from Rubber Soul to the White Album' date=' the Beatles went out of their way to not be "commercial."

Like Cobain, it was impossible for them not to be. The other issue is that it's impossible for McCartney to not produce gorgeous melodies. It's just what he does. If he had farted into a microphone at that point, it probably would have turned out just lovely.[/quote']

Couldnt agree more... the Beatles grew artistically and the audience followed and they influenced several generations of musicians. What the heck is zoony talking about?

The record companies wanted them to continue to do Meet the Beatles and wear suits for screaming teenagers.

They did their own thing and created their own label - APPLE.

Great anecdote, however, nirvana unplugged is what killed headbanger ball, because it was that video that ricki rocket (not the poison member), declared it was crap, and nirvana had no business being on it. I believe it was the next day, he was fired for it.

That was how I was described by Mr. Headbangers Ball himself, so yeah nirvana unplugged killed headbangers ball.

You need to consider two things:

1. Riki Rachtman is a goddamn moron.

2. Headbanger's Ball lasted until 1995, at which point meta was as musically relevant as acid rock.

---------- Post added April-13th-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

Similiar? Like slow-tempo rock tunes?

Automatic For The People by REM. Hunk Dory by David Bowie. In My Tribe by 10,000 Maniacs. Nebraska by Springsteen (really just a demo of him playing acoustic guitar and singing into a four-track tape player, but so ****ing good). In a similar vein, is the new Tom Morello Nigh****chman album Worldwide Rebel Songs.

I typically don't like the Unplugged albums. Aside from Nirvana, the only one I liked was Neil Young's.

Similiar? Like slow-tempo rock tunes?

Automatic For The People by REM. Hunk Dory by David Bowie. In My Tribe by 10' date='000 Maniacs. Nebraska by Springsteen (really just a demo of him playing acoustic guitar and singing into a four-track tape player, but so ****ing good). In a similar vein, is the new Tom Morello Nigh****chman album Worldwide Rebel Songs.

I typically don't like the Unplugged albums. Aside from Nirvana, the only one I liked was Neil Young's.[/quote']

I don't know enough about rock to tell you precisely what I want haha. Just something that has a nice melody and good guitar. Slow tempo I guess is a good description. In middle school I remember listening to Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, etc. and enjoying it. Those are probably similar bands. I also like Jimi Hendrix, maybe I should listen to some Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin.

That cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" is so excellent. I'll try David Bowie thanks and check out some of those others you mentioned. Thanks Titaw I'll check out Godsmack too.

That cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" is so excellent. I'll try David Bowie thanks and check out some of those others you mentioned. Thanks Titaw I'll check out Godsmack too.

In all honesty, you could do worse than listening to nothing but Bowie for the rest of your life.

The only Pink Floyd album I can tolerate is "Wish You Were Hee." I also don't like Zeppelin save a few songs. I am in a distinct minority on those opinions. If you are a blank slate - which you weirdly seem to be - getting into classic rock nonsense would probably be worthwhile. I have an allergic reaction to most songs played on classic rock stations at this point.

I also found it very interesting that Cobain believed John Lennon was one of his largest influences.

~Bang

The two bands that influenced his songwriting the most were The Beatles and Black Sabbath. He was definitely a student of classic 70's rock as well. Which is what separated him from most of his peers.

Archived