Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any word On The Health Of Jarvis Jenkins ?

RawRebel

Schawiiiiiiiing!!!

So pumped for this kid, debating a Jenkins jersey...

Pretty cool read too to hear about his rehab, and how his brother had to help him through it. I always like hearing back stories like this that show the humanity of these guys....cool stuff.

Okay, how good is Jarvis Jenkins going to be, really? From what I recall, we saw brief flashes, but not much more before he got hurt. I ask because I remember similar expectations when we got Jeremy Jarmon with a third round supplemental draft pick out of Kentucky in 2009. The Skins traded him to Denver for Jabar Gaffney in July 2011, and the Broncos cut him that September. He is currently out of football...Gaffney's schlong is longer that Jarmon's NFL career.

Maybe Jarmon/Jenkins is a bad comparison. Tell me why.

Okay, how good is Jarvis Jenkins going to be, really? From what I recall, we saw brief flashes, but not much more before he got hurt. I ask because I remember similar expectations when we got Jeremy Jarmon with a third round supplemental draft pick out of Kentucky in 2009. The Skins traded him to Denver for Jabar Gaffney in July 2011, and the Broncos cut him that September. He is currently out of football...Gaffney's schlong is longer that Jarmon's NFL career.

Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato.

Mike Shanahan/Bruce Allen.

The major difference for me, is that Jarmon was drafted in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft. And Jenkins was the 2nd round pick in the regular draft.

I think we've got way to high of expectations on Jenkins, but I think he's going to be a above average-good player for 10+ years. I personally thought he was really good in the pre-season, but that's just me.

Different players coming out of college. Jarmon was a prototype 4-3 DE. Jenkins was space eater, allowing DE's like Bowers to pile up the sacks. Jarmon might've been a good player but he was just drafted at the worst possible point for the Redskins. He just drafted by Cerrato to play 4-3 did not fit the 3-4. Constantly switching positions (4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE) under Shanny and blowing out his knee cost him his career I think. Jarvis was a high pick because Shanahan knew how he would fit in the Defense, he inherited Jarmon and couldn't make him fit.

The major difference for me, is that Jarmon was drafted in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft. And Jenkins was the 2nd round pick in the regular draft.

Jarmon's draft projection was higher until he was suspended for his senior year because of a positive test for a banned supplement. He purchased it over the counter, and self reported the violation, but the NCAA suspended him for the year anyway, so he declared for the NFL draft.

Jarmon's draft projection was higher until he was suspended for his senior year because of a positive test for a banned supplement. He purchased it over the counter, and self reported the violation, but the NCAA suspended him for the year anyway, so he declared for the NFL draft.

Eh. Still different kids drafted under different circumstances. Anyone who's been suspended for the year in the NCAA, doesn't have the best chance in the pros.

Damn Dan, let us have our "over-enthusiastic pre-preseason hooplapalooza" for a while before you go smackin' us upside the head with the reality stick
What young player does this board not get excited about? :ols:

:ols: You are right. Nothing wrong with a little off-season optimism. That's what makes sports fun and - sometimes - bearable. And after all, Jenkins did show flashes...

People were doing this months ago and didn't want to hear anything then about how it's usually your 2nd year back before you really get over a lig tear, so I don't expect to know anything one way or the other this year.

But after getting bent over with the cap thing and seeing charges dismissed because "we were askin for it", I am tolerant of anything people need here to get by.

The difference to me in Jenkins and Jarmon is, Jarmon looked hesitant and lost, while Jenkins looked like he was hungry and belonged in this defense. I know it was just preseason, but that's all we have to go by for Jenkins. Also, he was a rookie and still continued to come to team meetings to learn while he was on the shelf. I have no ill will against Jarmon, but I see a better, hungrier, physically better player in Jenkins than Jarmon.

Also, for laughs, you can say Vinny pick vs. Shanallen pick.

Archived