Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The MERGED all things Former Redskin LaRon Landry Thread

Chadwiko

It was still a dick move and a dirty play. He didn't even try to tackle Fred Jackson---probably because he got stiff armed like a punk the last time he tried that.

You have to be kidding me... All of these years "Landry goes high and is always looks for the big hit", so he goes low and happens to hurt someone..It was dirty! It's truly unbelievable on this board sometimes. Landry played GREAT on Sunday. So did Gomes, and that's great, too. So, as long as we have our SS playing well, we don't need to bash Landry.

Madieu Williams is doing a fine job replacing Landry as the undisciplined, stupid, pain-inflicting douche of our secondary. Funny, but Dirty 30 never could figure out what "wrap up" means or he must have been so traumatized by that Brandon Jacobs hit that he vowed "never again" to tackle by wrapping up, much to his own detriment. . .

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 02:27 AM ----------

Yep, that's twto knees Landry's taken so far this season. "Knee killer" should be his new nickname.

It was a clean hit, he turned away after the hit and clapped. It didn't look like he was celebrating an injury, just celebrating his tackle. As many of you all have said, he's done much worse.

I'm glad Landry is gone, his first few good seasons have been over shadowed by his last few injured or annoying ones. I just hope Merriweather can come back and play well or that Madieu Williams cleans up his act a bit. Also, Gomes is likable and hopefully keeps improving.

Dang, I just saw the play today. Yikes that had to hurt, Big Hit. He was clapping as soon as he made the hit, turned and still was clapping. I don't know what else to say

I don't think he knew he was injured. It was probably a little personal since Jackson made it his business to truck LL last year.

It was a monstrous hit. Actually this would have been a good opportunity for him to go for the kill shot. Otherwise he could have easily knocked off the other defender who was holding his leg.

Yep, the guy with 88 tackles in 9 games one year never could figure out how to "wrap up".

Tell me when has Laron been the guy to emulate in taking proper angles and simply making the right play instead of always or almost always going for the big hit. Yes, once in while he'll make a textbook tackle, but poor angles and whiffs were more frequent.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-game-of-the-week/09000d5d80c9f64c/Week-11-Cowboys-vs-Redskins-Game-of-the-Week

5:29 is yet another example of his brain-deadishness when it comes to umm...making tackles.

Tell me when has Laron been the guy to emulate in taking proper angles and simply making the right play instead of always or almost always going for the big hit. Yes, once in while he'll make a textbook tackle, but poor angles and whiffs were more frequent.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-game-of-the-week/09000d5d80c9f64c/Week-11-Cowboys-vs-Redskins-Game-of-the-Week

5:29 is yet another example of his brain-deadishness when it comes to umm...making tackles.

Yeah, Landry was a very poor tackler in 2008 and 2009. NOT the case at all in the 17 games he played in 10 and 11. Some iffy attempts last year, yes. But 2010 he was tackling EXTREMELY well.

You have to be kidding me... All of these years "Landry goes high and is always looks for the big hit", so he goes low and happens to hurt someone..It was dirty! It's truly unbelievable on this board sometimes. Landry played GREAT on Sunday. So did Gomes, and that's great, too. So, as long as we have our SS playing well, we don't need to bash Landry.

The problem with Landry was that he didn't wrap up, whether he launched himself high or low was more or less immaterial to the discussion. He sure as **** didn't try to wrap up Fred Jackson on that play, he just put his head down and dove right into Jackson's knee. That poor form is what gets him in trouble more often than not in games and is relatively dangerous - both for Landry and the guys he goes after.

Yeah, Landry was a very poor tackler in 2008 and 2009. NOT the case at all in the 17 games he played in 10 and 11. Some iffy attempts last year, yes. But 2010 he was tackling EXTREMELY well.
There is no stat for "form of tackling used". Hence, your presentation of the number of tackles(including combined tackles). is actually quite irrelevant to the discussion; he very well could have made 20 "wrap-up tackles" and 60 "battering ram" type tackles. 2008 was actually a decent year for Landry as well, but his absolute lack of awareness still popped up, as shown by his lame attempt to tackle Rocky Mac by diving into him. I am quite sure you know that wrapping up involves a motion similar "hugging" your oppoent's leg, not trying to lauch yourself as a projectile into the player.

There is no stat for "form of tackling used". Hence, your presentation of the number of tackles(including combined tackles). is actually quite irrelevant to the discussion; he very well could have made 20 "wrap-up tackles" and 60 "battering ram" type tackles. 2008 was actually a decent year for Landry as well, but his absolute lack of awareness still popped up, as shown by his lame attempt to tackle Rocky Mac by diving into him. I am quite sure you know that wrapping up involves a motion similar "hugging" your oppoent's leg, not trying to lauch yourself as a projectile into the player.

Basically, what I am trying to say is tackling form becomes irrelevant when you are averaging about 9 tackles a game. Also, I think 2008 for Landry was pretty bad, people just didn't hate him yet, so he wasn't ridiculed for EVERY thing he did like in 2009 till now.

Matt Miller did a film review of Landry this off season and basically gave LL amazing score for things like Tackling and Run defense. Said he would be elite if not for achilles. I agree.

Who is Matt Miller? Do you mean Matt Millen?

Sports writer, I believe.

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 02:33 PM ----------

Basically, what I am trying to say is tackling form becomes irrelevant when you are averaging about 9 tackles a game. Also, I think 2008 for Landry was pretty bad, people just didn't hate him yet, so he wasn't ridiculed for EVERY thing he did like in 2009 till now.

Matt Miller did a film review of Landry this off season and basically gave LL amazing score for things like Tackling and Run defense. Said he would be elite if not for achilles. I agree.

How does it become irrelevant just because you're averaging a high number of tackles per game? Isn't the logical conclusion that if it weren't for poor tackling form, he'd average closer to 12-13 tackles a game? Those missed tackles matter, separate from the others that he DID make.

That's like saying it doesn't matter if a player drops 2-3 INT's per game because he averages 6 per season...yeah, that's a great average over time, but the missed opportunities still have a negative effect every time they happen. This game isn't just about stats and end-of-season totals. You need to actually make plays and win games in the moment.

Sports writer, I believe.

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 02:33 PM ----------

How does it become irrelevant just because you're averaging a high number of tackles per game? Isn't the logical conclusion that if it weren't for poor tackling form, he'd average closer to 12-13 tackles a game? Those missed tackles matter, separate from the others that he DID make.

That's like saying it doesn't matter if a player drops 2-3 INT's per game because he averages 6 per season...yeah, that's a great average over time, but the missed opportunities still have a negative effect every time they happen. This game isn't just about stats and end-of-season totals. You need to actually make plays and win games in the moment.

Thing is, Landry missing copious amounts of tackles is all in most ES'er's heads. Football Focus keeps track of missed tackles. Landry is never in the bottom half of the league in misses. In 2010, they had him as the best defensive player in football.

He didn't miss tackles in 2010. He was great. Everyone on this board was LOVING him in 2010, until he let Desean Jackson score. Then he got hurt. And the pure hatred returned.

It's HILARIOUS to me. 70% of ES talks crap about LL, now he says something about Shanny and the trainers and he gets KILLED for it.

Archived