Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Addai, Clark, Bullitt out in Indianapolis, too

dsciambi

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/addai-clark-bullitt-out-in-indianapolis-too/

In addition to Andrew Luck taking over at quarterback and Peyton Manning playing elsewhere, the Colts will have a whole lot of holes to fill with the news that they have released Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and Melvin Bullitt.

That report came from Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, just moments after the report that longtime defensive captain Gary Brackett had been cut. Also coming out today was news that the Colts would like to trade Dwight Freeney.

Just as there’s been talk that Reggie Wayne and Manning could be a package deal, speculation can immediately commence that Clark or Addai could be targets of whatever team signs Manning.

UPDATE: Quarterback Curtis Painter was also released.

They're absolutely gutting their roster. They even cut PAINTER! Craziness in Indy.

If we don't re-sign Landry (which we probably won't), I'd love to see us bring in Bullitt. Really underrated, IMO. At the very worst he'd be really good depth and competition for both Atogwe and Gomes.

Forgot about how injured he's been. I'll revise my statement to include IF he checks out medically.

You've got to imagine Luck is getting worried. About to be signed by a team that's cutting all of their recognizable players and stars? That's rough. Add to that the pressure of going in and replacing Manning which he already had. I kind of feel bad for the guy. There's no way they're good next year.

They're essentially setting themselves up for a top 5 pick next year, hell maybe even the #1 overall AGAIN.

Then they'll probably try to pull what St. Louis hopes to pull this year, to really load up on 3-4 1st/2nd round players out of the #1 overall.

But damn. I can understand most of their moves, but Freeney and Clarke? Why not keep Clarke? A good TE is a rookie QB's best friend.

You've got to imagine Luck is getting worried. About to be signed by a team that's cutting all of their recognizable players and stars? That's rough. Add to that the pressure of going in and replacing Manning which he already had. I kind of feel bad for the guy. There's no way they're good next year.

We all saw how each and everyone of these guys disappeared when their QB went down. Maybe they bring in Luck who is pretty good and he makes other unknown players look good. Imagine how bad Clark and Wayne and them would be their whole career with Painter at QB

^Seriously. They have essentially cut their whole team, with Garcon and Wayne leaving as well. htf are they even going to field a complete team? They are all but guaranteed the 1st overall pick in 2013. Jim Irsay is either one bold son of a *****, or he and his gm are completely in over their heads, and are about to destroy that franchise.

Damn these are some bold moves by the Colts. I agree with an earlier poster. It's a great way to get fired, but maybe they are trying for top 5 pick next draft so they can trade out and get tons o' picks? It sounds too crazy, though. They'll be an interesting team to watch in the coming years, as well as the Rams.

They're essentially setting themselves up for a top 5 pick next year, hell maybe even the #1 overall AGAIN.

Then they'll probably try to pull what St. Louis hopes to pull this year, to really load up on 3-4 1st/2nd round players out of the #1 overall.

I agree, considering that everyone they just released including Peyton will account for $30mil in dead money against the cap is going to force them to focus on loading up on picks.

You have to wonder if we could've moved up to Indy's spot with 3 firsts and a second. They need lots of picks just to fill out their roster, much less with talent.

They would never have done that unless they were keeping Manning. They needed to replace him with a QB. To trade down with us would've meant they were passing on Luck and RG3.

No way they do that.

---------- Post added March-11th-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

If the Colts claim they are rebuilding, then what are the Redskins doing?

I'd say they nuked the ranks and are creating an entire new breed of Colts

I think it's a smart move provided the new GM is competent and can rebuild the team the right way.

---------- Post added March-11th-2012 at 11:29 AM ----------

Any chance the browns move up to #1 now?
If I were the Browns, I'd consider packaging McCoy, their two first rounders to move up and take the #1 overall pick for Luck. That would be bold.

If the Colts claim they are rebuilding, then what are the Redskins doing?

I'd say they nuked the ranks and are creating an entire new breed of Colts

I honestly think, Isray did all of these guys a favor.

Most of them are older guys with a few years left. He is giving them a chance to go win else where

Brackett (32) next season

Clark (33) next season

Bullitt (28) next season

Addai (29) next season

Freeney (32) next season.

Just makes me wonder why they released all of these guys, but chose to re-sign Robert Mathis

Archived