Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**** the Giants

steve09ru

That's ridiculous! Wouldn't you want to put your son in the best position possible if you were able? I bet Oliver Luck does the same for his son or already has done it. San Diego has been to one Super Bowl, in the 1994 season, and they lost. San Diego has been to one AFC championship game since going to the Super Bowl. The results show that the Mannings made the right decision.

Also I think he wanted his sons in different conferences, which I still believe to be true and the #1 reason why Peyton wouldn't sign with the Redskins.

Glad people are starting to hate the Giants.

I get sick of the, "Well, I hate Washington. I really hate Philly. But NY, well I don't hate them."

Reality check folks. NY is the only team with a Super Bowl from the East since 96!!!!!

The apocolypse. Dallas fan trying to tell Redskin fans the Giants "ARE" your rival. Thanks TN41, someone gets it.

Ummm, often, brothers are "rivals". That doesn't mean you have to hate your brother.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:00 PM ----------

If this is the case then why is there even a draft at all? Make it one big National Signing day

It is for the #1 pick and he can afford to sit out a season, if necessary.

It is for the #1 pick and he can afford to sit out a season, if necessary.

Then he needs to sit out until his name is called...That's like Luck coming out this year and saying he wants to be a Cowboy, I'm sure you would look down on that if he decided he wasn't going to play for anyone but them.

A rookie telling people who he is going to play for before even proving himself? it's absurd - you don't like where you're at? play and prove yourself and leave in free agency

That's ridiculous! Wouldn't you want to put your son in the best position possible if you were able? I bet Oliver Luck does the same for his son or already has done it. San Diego has been to one Super Bowl, in the 1994 season, and they lost. San Diego has been to one AFC championship game since going to the Super Bowl. The results show that the Mannings made the right decision.

The Chargers were already a good team at the time. Maybe all it took was Eli to put them over the top, you know, kinda of like he's done for the Giants?

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:16 PM ----------

Ummm, often, brothers are "rivals". That doesn't mean you have to hate your brother.

And the word "hate" is used loosely. I don't know any of the people in here personally, so it's just a figure of speech.

Then he needs to sit out until his name is called...That's like Luck coming out this year and saying he wants to be a Cowboy, I'm sure you would look down on that if he decided he wasn't going to play for anyone but them.

A rookie telling people who he is going to play for before even proving himself? it's absurd - you don't like where you're at? play and prove yourself and leave in free agency

Irony for you would be Luck wants to be Redskin and not a Colt.

It's his right. He doesn't have to play in the NFL at all. And 1st-round draft picks in the new CBA have to sign an optional 5th year to their contracts. That's half of an average 1st-round draft pick's NFL career. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a team for 5 years that wasn't committed to winning or did a piss poor job at building a team. It's a lot better for the club to trade an unsigned rookie than waste the draft pick or have to put-up with a holdout 1 to 2 years later looking for a bigger contract or a trade..

Irony for you would be Luck wants to be Redskin and not a Colt.

It's his right. He doesn't have to play in the NFL at all. And 1st-round draft picks in the new CBA have to sign an optional 5th year to their contracts. That's half of an average 1st-round draft pick's NFL career. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a team for 5 years that wasn't committed to winning or did a piss poor job at building a team. It's a lot better for the club to trade an unsigned rookie than waste the draft pick or have to put-up with a holdout 1 to 2 years later looking for a bigger contract or a trade..

Then they have the option to choose another career...

And I would not respect Luck for choosing where he says he wants to go and only playing in the NFL if he goes to his team of choice...it's childish, selfish and ridiculous

Most teams draft a QB to build their franchise around (example : Colts with Peyton) - they typically have some pieces there but they need a franchise QB to build around. If you have players picking and choosing where they go then you would have the same teams consistently battling for the Super Bowl

Luck says "hey I want to go to the Patriots because they are already a Superbowl caliber team" - guess what Patriots would be set for another 10+ years...then what if Blackmon was like, "yeah I'm only playing for the Patriots too"

That's 2 of the top players in the draft holding out because they want to be on a team that finished 2nd and is picking 31st?

You could have the top 5 draft picks hold out because they want to play on a certain team? What if that "certain" team all happened to be the same? Doesn't sound "right" letting them choose now does it?

So yeah, **** Eli and **** the Giants!

Then they have the option to choose another career...

And I would not respect Luck for choosing where he says he wants to go and only playing in the NFL if he goes to his team of choice...it's childish, selfish and ridiculous

Most teams draft a QB to build their franchise around (example : Colts with Peyton) - they typically have some pieces there but they need a franchise QB to build around. If you have players picking and choosing where they go then you would have the same teams consistently battling for the Super Bowl

Luck says "hey I want to go to the Patriots because they are already a Superbowl caliber team" - guess what Patriots would be set for another 10+ years...then what if Blackmon was like, "yeah I'm only playing for the Patriots too"

That's 2 of the top players in the draft holding out because they want to be on a team that finished 2nd and is picking 31st?

You could have the top 5 draft picks hold out because they want to play on a certain team? What if that "certain" team all happened to be the same? Doesn't sound "right" letting them choose now does it?

So yeah, **** Eli and **** the Giants!

Blackmon would be a bad example. I mean seriously a WR who does that won't be getting picked in the first round LOL and will cost himself what little dough they still give first rounders of his caliber.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 07:29 AM ----------

You holding on to a cheating scandal that happened 5 years ago is worse than us being mad about a game 2 days ago. And the Patriots have now gone 8 years (2004-05 season) without winning the SB. So you'd rather the Eagles win it next year and the Cowboys the year after just so a stupid team in another conference that did something 5 years ago doesn't win it?

I've been a skins fan since around the time Doug Williams was here, I was young at the time, but I've seen enough to know that I despise the Eagles much more than I do the Giants. The Giants at least look like they try to be a professional team. Which btw makes me sick because of how boneheaded our operation has been in the last decade or so. There would have been a time I'd have rooted for the Pats over the Giants, but I'm tired of being jealous because someone else has had success. Plum tired of it. I want us to look at Franchises like the Giants, learn from what they did, and get back to the top. Not just in a one shot wonder, but perennially at the top. That's what I've wanted since Norval was booted. I've never had any love for the PATs to tell you the truth, but I'm also an NFC guy, I have a hard time rooting for any AFC teams, that's just the way it is.

Hate the giants if you want, I certainly am not changing my team colors because they won. Ridiculous a thought as that would be, but I'll give them credit just this once, because I like the way they beat the Pats, and It was very satisfying to see Brady and Bellichek Choke again. Frankly, I could care less about the lombardi count right now. We have nothing, absolutely nothing, since Sean Taylor died to crow about or brag about. When we start playing like a top caliber team, then I'll worry about where our franchise stacks up long term. Until then. Hail to the Redskins, and get us back to consistent top tier play!

Blackmon would be a bad example. I mean seriously a WR who does that won't be getting picked in the first round LOL and will cost himself what little dough they still give first rounders of his caliber.

We can do this with any position, Calvin Johnson? He never would have lasted after pick after pick 2 if he demanded not to be drafted by the team with the #1 overall pick.

Point is, you can't allow it for some and disregard the wish of others. May as well have one big free agency for the draft.

If you have players picking and choosing where they go then you would have the same teams consistently battling for the Super Bowl

Eli didn't have a "team of choice". The Giants were the 4th pick in the draft and the next team to pick a QB. They just said before the draft that Eli will not play for San Diego and advised them to pick somebody else. After the picks, the Giants traded Rivers (#4 pick in 2004), their 2005 1st-round, and their 2nd pick in the 3rd round in 2004 for Eli. How is this worse than a disgruntled NFL player holding-out because he wants to be traded? It's better for the player, especially for a QB, if he picks the right situation before he signs a contract. After he signs a contract, he loses a lot of leverage to be traded.

Your scenario of only a few dominant teams picking the best players isn't realistic. Not many players will forgo millions of dollars to sit-out a year. No team has that many draft picks to just trade for the best needed players in every draft. Your argument is in direct contrast to current FA and draft-trading.

I doubt you would be complaining if we were the recipients of Eli if San Diego traded with Washington (who picked # 5 in 2004) instead of New York.

We can do this with any position, Calvin Johnson? He never would have lasted after pick after pick 2 if he demanded not to be drafted by the team with the #1 overall pick.

Point is, you can't allow it for some and disregard the wish of others. May as well have one big free agency for the draft.

Calvin Johnson IMO is a much better prospect than Blackmon, but that's subjective. Now you may be right, maybe someone calls the guys bluff, who knows.

I've been a skins fan since around the time Doug Williams was here, I was young at the time, but I've seen enough to know that I despise the Eagles much more than I do the Giants. The Giants at least look like they try to be a professional team. Which btw makes me sick because of how boneheaded our operation has been in the last decade or so. There would have been a time I'd have rooted for the Pats over the Giants, but I'm tired of being jealous because someone else has had success. Plum tired of it. I want us to look at Franchises like the Giants, learn from what they did, and get back to the top. Not just in a one shot wonder, but perennially at the top. That's what I've wanted since Norval was booted. I've never had any love for the PATs to tell you the truth, but I'm also an NFC guy, I have a hard time rooting for any AFC teams, that's just the way it is.

Hate the giants if you want, I certainly am not changing my team colors because they won. Ridiculous a thought as that would be, but I'll give them credit just this once, because I like the way they beat the Pats, and It was very satisfying to see Brady and Bellichek Choke again. Frankly, I could care less about the lombardi count right now. We have nothing, absolutely nothing, since Sean Taylor died to crow about or brag about. When we start playing like a top caliber team, then I'll worry about where our franchise stacks up long term. Until then. Hail to the Redskins, and get us back to consistent top tier play!

V, from your lips to God's ears and yes, I intentionally quoted the whole thing because it deserved repeating.

Some fans come off really looking like pikers by the way they always want to crow about every little misstep or failing of other teams, but WTF does that do for us? Makes us all look bad, that's what. There used to be this thing called sportsmanship where you fought tooth n nail 'til the whistle blew, and then had the class to give the other guy credit for a good game, guess that's too old-fashioned anymore though.

This team, OUR team, needs to improve, to win games and have success because of what WE do, not because someone else eff'd up or blew a hold on a kick, we need to get back to where we dominate games, in spite of their QB and no matter who plays on their D and especially in spite of whatever mind-boggling calls the zebras make, take it all and still just reach out, grab a win by throat and refuse to be denied.

Eli didn't have a "team of choice". The Giants were the 4th pick in the draft and the next team to pick a QB. They just said before the draft that Eli will not play for San Diego and advised them to pick somebody else. After the picks, the Giants traded Rivers (#4 pick in 2004), their 2005 1st-round, and their 2nd pick in the 3rd round in 2004 for Eli. How is this worse than a disgruntled NFL player holding-out because he wants to be traded? It's better for the player, especially for a QB, if he picks the right situation before he signs a contract. After he signs a contract, he loses a lot of leverage to be traded.

Your scenario of only a few dominant teams picking the best players isn't realistic. Not many players will forgo millions of dollars to sit-out a year. No team has that many draft picks to just trade for the best needed players in every draft. Your argument is in direct contrast to current FA and draft-trading.

I doubt you would be complaining if we were the recipients of Eli if San Diego traded with Washington (who picked # 5 in 2004) instead of New York.

Eli, as well as Archie, specified that he wanted to play in NY. They gave up a lot, but I still find it ridiculous that you're going to refuse a team because you want to play elsewhere. Granted they did give up a lot to get him and everything within the trade I don't mind. What I mind is someone who hasn't played a snap in the NFL deciding where they are or are not going to play.

It's probably more so of a hit on Archie since he orchestrated everything and did the visitations himself and came to the conclusion that he wants Eli to play at X instead of Y

What if Ryan Leaf decided he didn't want to get drafted by the Chargers? He turned out to be one of the biggest busts in history. That is why players should be required to prove themselves before demanding who they will and won't play for.

I love this thread. I hate the Eagles, I hate the Cowboys, I am indifferent to the Redskins and Jets. The Jets because I don't live in NY and don't care about some perceived rivalry. I am indifferent to the Redskins, because since I became a fan in 99' I have never seen a Redskins team that achieved sustained success, nor do I see the front-running know-nothing fans that stereotypes Cowboys, Patriots, and Eagles fans. I can handle losing every game forever to the Redskins if the Giants continued to attain more postseason success. I joined this forum because Redskins fans are usually knowledgeable and try to be objective (most likely from years of poor personnel and coaching decisions). You guys should hate the Giants, you should hate them with every being of your fandom. If the Cowboys or Eagles, or even Redskins won 2 Superbowls in the last 5 years I would be inconsolable.

I love this thread. I hate the Eagles, I hate the Cowboys, I am indifferent to the Redskins and Jets. The Jets because I don't live in NY and don't care about some perceived rivalry. I am indifferent to the Redskins, because since I became a fan in 99' I have never seen a Redskins team that achieved sustained success, nor do I see the front-running know-nothing fans that stereotypes Cowboys, Patriots, and Eagles fans. I can handle losing every game forever to the Redskins if the Giants continued to attain more postseason success. I joined this forum because Redskins fans are usually knowledgeable and try to be objective (most likely from years of poor personnel and coaching decisions). You guys should hate the Giants, you should hate them with every being of your fandom. If the Cowboys or Eagles, or even Redskins won 2 Superbowls in the last 5 years I would be inconsolable.

Wow, a Giants fan even gets the "hate" but Redskins fans don't - this is a huge statement to everyone that is happy for NY's continued success

Eli, as well as Archie, specified that he wanted to play in NY. They gave up a lot, but I still find it ridiculous that you're going to refuse a team because you want to play elsewhere. Granted they did give up a lot to get him and everything within the trade I don't mind. What I mind is someone who hasn't played a snap in the NFL deciding where they are or are not going to play.

It's probably more so of a hit on Archie since he orchestrated everything and did the visitations himself and came to the conclusion that he wants Eli to play at X instead of Y

How many balls do you expect to throw for the San Diego Chargers?

ELI MANNING: Right now, obviously, we feel strongly about what we’ve said earlier this week. Everybody knows how we stand about this position. You know, it’s an honor to be selected the first pick, but again it’s not what we wanted.

Your father had no control over his first employer, your brother had no control over his first employer and now you have no control over your first employer; how frustrating is this?

ELI MANNING: It’s part of the deal. Obviously, we would have liked for things to run smoothly, but obviously that did not happen. This was released the other day; it wasn’t our plan to release it but the Chargers went out and did it. We were prepared for that but that’s how things worked.

Don’t you think everybody should have the right to negotiate with all the possible employers?

ELI MANNING: That’s not how the NFL works and that’s how it’s gone on for a long time. Again we felt strongly about doing what we did.

What makes the San Diego situation so unappealing, specifically?

ELI MANNING: You know, we are not really mentioning details right now. We’ve talked to San Diego about this. We felt strongly about what we wanted to do and we thought it was in the best interests for me.

Are you expecting a trade with the Giants?

ELI MANNING: I don’t know what to expect anymore. It’s too hard to say. I don’t know what’s going to happen in the next day, the next two days, the next to month or two months. So again, I don’t know what’s going to happen, and hopefully, you know, we’d like for a trade to happen, not with any team, so that’s what we are hoping for.

Are you disappointed the Giants didn’t trade up for you?

ELI MANNING: I’m not disappointed the Giants didn’t trade up for me. I didn’t know if they were going to trade up. I don’t know what their position was. So, obviously we were hoping for something to happen, a trade or for the Chargers not to pick me but obviously that’s the way it worked out. We’ll make the best out of the whole situation.

If the Chargers are not able to work out a trade, are you prepared if necessary to sit out next season?

ELI MANNING: We’ve talked about it and we’re prepared to do that.

If you could pick a team, what team would that be?

ELI MANNING: You know, I haven’t picked teams. I never said I wanted to play for a certain team. It did not matter to me. It’s just, you know, I don’t have any favorites. I don’t know.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/11/04/back-in-time-to-the-2004-nfl-draft-rivers-vs-manning/

What if Ryan Leaf decided he didn't want to get drafted by the Chargers? He turned out to be one of the biggest busts in history. That is why players should be required to prove themselves before demanding who they will and won't play for.

If another team wants to trade for him, then that's their business

ELI MANNING: You know, I haven’t picked teams. I never said I wanted to play for a certain team. It did not matter to me. It’s just, you know, I don’t have any favorites. I don’t know.

{/QUOTE]

If another team wants to trade for him, then that's their business

You're right, and I said I was fine with the trade terms, but for a rookie to try and choose where they go is ridiculous considering they haven't proof anything.

""He told me that Archie wishes that we do not select Eli and that they think he would be a good fit in New York (with the Giants)," said Smith. "We understand his position and certainly understand his interest in New York,"

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20040422-9999-1s22chargers.html

I have the same feelings for the Crabtree hold out. Earn the respect and money then you can talk.

But this thread isn't about praising the Giants and Eli, there's plenty of other threads to do so in.

• 1 month later...

Archived