Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 help: Red Rings of Death

Wish i could help but my kids went through 2 Xbox's in 2 and 1/2 years. Finally decided to go with a PS3 and haven't looked back. Good luck all the same though.

same sitch, but with ps3.

no easy fix for rrod without towel. my friends dad fixes them but i would just run it with a wet towel then trade it in for a new one.

the red-ring of death, I believe, is caused by the CPU or GPU separating from the motherboard as a result of the system getting too hot and flexing. The towel trick works because it reflows the solder to fix the connection, but then you're back to where you started and it can happen again. I believe a more permanent solution has to do with the X Clamps. I think this may help: http://xboxdiy.blogspot.com/

I think I will go the PS3 route if I ever decide to get another console system.

How old was your 360? I've been told by several people on here and on forums that the RROD problem was fixed like 3 years ago.... LOL

I hope somebody quotes me and gives me a hard time, cuz I'm only posting in here to ruffle some feathers. It's all jokes of course, but there are some Type A's out there LOL :D

Wow, seems like everyone I know has had issues with their Xbox. I think I will go the PS3 route if I ever decide to get another console system.
They were practically designed to fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

If you bought it recently, you might still have it under warranty. Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed.

How old was your 360? I've been told by several people on here and on forums that the RROD problem was fixed like 3 years ago.... LOL

I hope somebody quotes me and gives me a hard time, cuz I'm only posting in here to ruffle some feathers. It's all jokes of course, but there are some Type A's out there LOL :D

I don't own an Xbox 360. I have just about every console made, except for an Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii. After PS2, I got more into PC games. My cousin and a friend's Xbox 360 died on them. My cousin was telling me about his friend's Xbox 360 dying too. From what I've heard, it was a major issue. It's one of the reasons why I didn't purchase the latest console generation. That's a ton of cash to spend on something that could break in a year or two. I've never had any problems with my older consoles. My PS2 still works. My old NES from the 80's still works. Heck, my Atari 2600, which I gave to my cousin, still works lol.

Thanks for the info. I will try to be nice to Microsoft, its an older unit, and it was given to me to satisfy part of a debt, so I wouldnt be able to prove ownership or a purchase date.

Some guy fixes them in Falls Church, for $40, and if he cant fix it , for an additional $20, and the broken unit, he will swap you out with a refurbished console.

Ill try that, all I play is Madden, so I would hate to drop any $ on a new one, so a used one would suffice.

There are videos on YouTube on how to fix it. I didn't review any of them. The main issue is a flaw in the GPU. It heats and flexes causing it to lift. You can fix it down with some cross bars IIRC. This issue has long since been fixed in newer models of the XBox. If you have an older unit, make sure you do not have it in an enclosed entertainment center where heat can build up.

I just want to say that today (started yesterday, actually) my laptop pretty much had the same problem as the RROD, where the solder joints on the GPU come up and it screws up the machine. I could boot only into terminal and even that was graphically screwed up. I took the machine apart, stuck the motherboard in the oven (which is where the GPU resides on this machine) to reflow the solder, and put it back together. Its back in working condition.

Needless to say, I'm quite happy with myself right about now.

The X-Clamps fix actually works well, but you have to wait for the parts and be pretty good at working on a motherboard. There is one major step in the X-Clamps fix you could try that's pretty simple, and has worked in the past for me with red rings for a quick fix. If you open the xbox, unplug the fan, let it run for 5 minutes the lights will change from 3 to 2 red rings. Power it off, plug in the fan, and power it back on, worked on several systems, but like the towel trick was temporary and went back to 3RROD in about 2 months.

Thanks for the info. I will try to be nice to Microsoft, its an older unit, and it was given to me to satisfy part of a debt, so I wouldnt be able to prove ownership or a purchase date.

Some guy fixes them in Falls Church, for $40, and if he cant fix it , for an additional $20, and the broken unit, he will swap you out with a refurbished console.

Ill try that, all I play is Madden, so I would hate to drop any $ on a new one, so a used one would suffice.

They should fix it for free. They should be able to look up the serial code on the back of the system. If you friend bought it within 2-3 years of the original release date then they shoul fix it for you.

I would try the "towel trick" to get it running again, put in some flash drives to get any important save data and then go out and get the $199 4GB Xbox console. Stores like Target frequently run the Xbox with gift card promotions so you get a little bit off on the price of it and you don't have to worry about the RROD any more.

I am playing in a tournament, so I needed to replace it ASAP. I bought the black one, the 4GB, it was listed for $199.99, I got it for half off, as I sold the Manager at Best Buy a Tahoe a few years back. He threw in a COD3 Controller and pretty nice HDMI cord.

I upgraded the hard drive with a 1 Terabyte external drive, and supposedly this thing can hold all types of stuff, and is better than any XBOX 360 hard drive.

The Madden Lab is back up and running. ASSA21N aka Maly, you owe me a rematch man!

Thank you again for all the advice, I knew some members here would be able to help, and did.

I do have a XBOX for sale now. Old. Red Rings of Death. Aftermarket cooling fan, two controllers, wireless adapter, and a $50 something head set. Make me an offer!

---------- Post added January-23rd-2012 at 11:02 PM ----------

Is there anyway to attach this old 250GB Hard Drive to the new one? Just to transfer some things?

Is there anyway to attach this old 250GB Hard Drive to the new one? Just to transfer some things?

---------- Post added January-23rd-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Is there anyway to attach this old hard drive to the new type of XBOX? To transfer files?

I am playing in a tournament, so I needed to replace it ASAP. I bought the black one, the 4GB, it was listed for $199.99, I got it for half off, as I sold the Manager at Best Buy a Tahoe a few years back. He threw in a COD3 Controller and pretty nice HDMI cord.

I upgraded the hard drive with a 1 Terabyte external drive, and supposedly this thing can hold all types of stuff, and is better than any XBOX 360 hard drive.

The Madden Lab is back up and running. ASSA21N aka Maly, you owe me a rematch man!

Thank you again for all the advice, I knew some members here would be able to help, and did.

I do have a XBOX for sale now. Old. Red Rings of Death. Aftermarket cooling fan, two controllers, wireless adapter, and a $50 something head set. Make me an offer!

Mayor, if you get the hard drive transfer kit you can transfer your old hd stuff to the new one. I did it with mine when I bought my new black 360. Its like 20 bucks at gamestop, all I did was bought it, used it, took it back and got my 20 bucks back.

Archived