Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Iranian scientist involved in nuclear program killed in Tehran bomb attack

JMS

The ongoing cold war with Iran being waged on many fronts with many participants... The US cut off their access to use international financial institutions making their oil profits less profitable. Europe announced one set of sanctions and is going to announce another in a few weeks.

Israel is kind of sitting back matching the Iranian flowery rhetoric with cold steely gazes promising of more ominous future events.

From what I've read, The Iranians are now blaming the Israeli's. I haven't heard an Israeli denial or confirmation, as one would expect. The operation does fit the Israeli mode, public, and all. It could be the Israelis..... Then again who could really blame them if it were them... With ImADinnerJacket threatening them with violent destruction like he has.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iranian-scientist-killed-in-tehran-bomb-attack/2012/01/11/gIQAT1V7pP_story.html?hpid=z2

Iranian scientist involved in nuclear program killed in Tehran bomb attack

TEHRAN — An Iranian scientist involved in purchasing equipment for the Islamic Republic’s main uranium-enrichment facility was assassinated Wednesday when a magnetic bomb attached to his car exploded in morning rush-hour traffic, Iranian media reported.

Iranian officials accused the United States and Israel of orchestrating the attack, which also killed the scientist’s driver.

lol .. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16519304

"A senior Israeli official described the attack as "revenge" but said he was unaware who had carried it out.

"I don't know who took revenge on the Iranian scientist but I am definitely not shedding a tear," military spokesman Brig Gen Yoav Mordechai wrote on his official Facebook page."

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 09:07 PM ----------

Something doesn't compute. The scientist was 32? How much practical experience can a 32 year old have at anything, much less overseeing a country's nuclear development program?

I don't think he was lead on anything, sounds like he was a professor who also oversaw a department (not sure which) at one plant.

Something doesn't compute. The scientist was 32? How much practical experience can a 32 year old have at anything, much less overseeing a country's nuclear development program?

Well this one won't be getting anymore chances to gain experience and I bet the folks in line to follow him aint all that thrilled with the prospect of getting their ass blown to kingdom come. Sucks being them

Pretty crazy story, sounds exactly like something straight out of a Bourne movie. A guy on a motorcycle rides up and attaches a magnetic car bomb to the bottom of the car....and got away? That's a pretty professional hit.

Two guys IIRC. To pull that off in Iran is impressive too. Not just anyone gets in that place and I'm sure all foreigners/vistors are heavily scruntinized. It seems that way to me anyways.

I don't know. How much practical experiance can a 40 year old have? My guess is about 8 more, give or take.

I hope we really didn't have anything to do with this shameful act of terrorism.

I doubt it will have much effect except to make the Iranians work harder to get nukes and galvanize the populace further in support of it.

It's hard to tell, I'm doubting it was us....probably the Israelis but no one will ever own up to blowing up a scientist in an urban area.

I'm going to assume there is a lot more to this story than we'll ever know, because he seems like such an unlikely target. (I'm really doubting this guy was a young Iranian Robert Oppenheimer)

Although there is no official definition of terrorism, some might agree that one component of terrorism is that the violence is targeted at groups of innocent 'civilians' in an indiscriminate manner. Rather than a singular targeting of a person because of that person's role or status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

You may be right. Perhaps assassination dressed in terrorist trappings.

:)

Here's an interesting look at who might be behind the bombings:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/11/world/meast/iran-who-kills-scientists/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Archived