Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Chris Russell on Twitter: Redskins excited about Matt Flynn

LuRedskins

It'd be cool if they were excited in the sense that his performance will get someone like the Browns interested. He's a game manager, and you cant throw a mega contract at a guy who put up 1 good game, not smart at all.

If he was playing against bums, I'd agree with you. Flynn sliced up a good defense. A top 10 defense.

Flynn scares me. See Matt Cassel! Not a highly touted player coming out of school who is stuck behind an elite QB. Cassel got his chance in KC and hasbeen shaky and I'm not interested in taking tat road with Flynn.
Huh? Matt Cassell had turned into an elite QB at KC until he got the injury bug. No one could have predicted that.

How does bringing in Flynn bring playoff, 10 win hype? And where does it say it will cost us draft picks?

As for being a QB away from contending:

Wk 1 Giants - W - Grossman 305 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs 1 FL

Wk 2 Cardinals - W - Grossman 291 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 3 Cowboys - L by 2 pts - Grossman 250 yds 1 TD 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 4 Rams - W - Grossman 143 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

Wk 6 Eagles - L by 7 pts - Grossman 143 yds 0 TDs 4 INTs, Beck 117 yds 0 TDs 0 INTs

Wk 7 Panthers - L by 13 pts - Beck 279 yds 2 TDs (1 rushing) 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 8 Bills - L by 23 pts - Beck 208 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 9 49ers - L by 8 pts - Beck 254 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Wk 10 Dolphins - L by 11 pts - Grossman 215 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 11 Cowboys - L by 3 pts in OT - Grossman 292 yds 2 TDs 1 INT

Wk 12 Seahawks - W - Grossman 314 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs

Wk 13 Jets - L by 15 pts - Grossman 221 yds 0 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 14 Pats - L by 7 pts - Grossman 252 yds 2 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 15 Giants - W - Grossman 185 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

Wk 16 Vikes - L by 7 pts - Grossman 284 yds 2 TDs 1 INT 1 FL

Wk 17 Eagles - L by 24 pts - Grossman 256 yds 1 TD 1 INT

I look at that and I believe that with a QB that doesn't turn the ball over that many times, we win the division.

It says it here:

"The Redskins might be the Packers' ideal target for a sign-and-trade scenario if Flynn is indeed franchise tagged, because Washington has a documented history."

Second point, Out of those 17 games and the 11 losses, all of those games were not solely on the offense. There have been games this team had defensive lapses the two Dallas games come to mind, the Panthers game, the Vikes game, and the Pats game can all be blamed on the defense. The defense is not top fiveor even top ten right now. This team has holes on the offensive line to boot. Flynn would be that big splash that the Skins do not need and just stay the course with drafting and a sprinkle of free agency here and there.

I believe that ES likes Football Outsiders. Here's a good article about Matt Flynn.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2012/week-17-quick-reads

Football Outsiders' play-by-play database goes back to 1992, and Flynn's game against Detroit ranks as the 15th best game in that timeframe. The best game belongs to Trent Green, who in 2002 threw five touchdowns against a Miami team that only gave up 20 passing scores all year. Four former Super Bowl winners make the top-15 list: Brady (five times), Brees (three times), Peyton Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger.

They then drop this juicy tidbit:

Matt Flynn is 26 years old. He has four years of apprenticeship on one of the best offenses in the league. His ceiling is Hall of Famer; his realistic floor is Pro Bowler. That's got to be worth more than an unproven rookie, doesn't it?

I'm actually thinking that this could be a good idea. We don't know if we can get RG3. The Colts are going with Luck. The Browns draft ahead of us. Some team like Miami or Seattle could trade up for him as well.

Cassel thew for 27 TDs vs 7 INTs last season. Why do people keep saying he sucks?

He was 4-4 this year and 10/9 TD to INT before he got hurt.

The curse of playing for KC. Even if you lead your team to a Division title, everyone forgets and nobody cares.

Kevin Kolb is a slightly better example of a QB bust (so far), but even he is not as bad as everyone wishes to believe, he just got injured.

It says it here:

"The Redskins might be the Packers' ideal target for a sign-and-trade scenario if Flynn is indeed franchise tagged, because Washington has a documented history."

Second point, Out of those 17 games and the 11 losses, all of those games were not solely on the offense. There have been games this team had defensive lapses the two Dallas games come to mind, the Panthers game, the Vikes game, and the Pats game can all be blamed on the defense. The defense is not top fiveor even top ten right now. This team has holes on the offensive line to boot. Flynn would be that big splash that the Skins do not need and just stay the course with drafting and a sprinkle of free agency here and there.

First point, putting a statement in quotes without a source doesn't help much.

Second point, we were in most of our games and that was despite Grossman/Beck giving the other team the ball. 30 TOs from the QB position alone. With an upgrade at QB we will be vying for the division crown.

Our D went from almost dead last to just outside the top third this season despite having 2 new DL, 2 new LBs, 1 new CB, 1 new S, Landry injured, Atogwe injured, and our 2nd rd draft pick injured. With a limited offseason.

You'd think Redskins fans would learn this from the Kolb-Arizona deal.

Except ARI traded a 2d round pick and DRC for Kolb. As of right now, Flynn is a UFA.

Also, Kolb had a few more games in which he played, and in those games he showed a propensity to have really good games and really bad ones. Kolb had 11 TDs and 14 INTs during his time in PHI. Entirely different.

Except ARI traded a 2d round pick and DRC for Kolb. As of right now, Flynn is a UFA.

Also, Kolb had a few more games in which he played, and in those games he showed a propensity to have really good games and really bad ones. Kolb had 11 TDs and 14 INTs during his time in PHI. Entirely different.

Whats to say after we sign Flynn to a big contract he doesn't do the same thing? The guy has had one great game.

Flynn scares me. See Matt Cassel! Not a highly touted player coming out of school who is stuck behind an elite QB. Cassel got his chance in KC and hasbeen shaky and I'm not interested in taking tat road with Flynn. Let's just get RG3 and move on

he made the Pro Bowl(alternate granted) and was 500 halfway through this season with a less than great team.

Whats to say after we sign Flynn to a big contract he doesn't do the same thing? The guy has had one great game.

The other thing is Kolb got like 60 million or something ridiculous. Based on his back and forth performances rotating starts with Vick.

Flynn will probably want at least 30 million / 4 years , 10 gauranteed. I would think that would be the minimum. Half of what Kolb got.

If we do that.. we'll have to take a later round QB in the draft. Cant sign Flynn to a deal like that and then draft a top 10 QB at the same time, cost at QB will be too high.

My other issue is that taking another teams back up QB does not have a good history. Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are the only sort of comparable super bowl winners and those situations were all different than just signing someone elses back up. All of those players spent time as starters. No QB has won a super bowl that was a back up with minimal NFL starts and traded to another team.

Ironically only John Elway fits that description. But Elway was a #1 overall draft pick and he forced Irsay to trade him by threatening to leave to major league baseball. He did not want to play for the Colts.

Because that one great game is better QB play than any QB play that the redskins have had here in many many years. If you watch the tape, Flynn put those throws on the money. He is very capable at playing at a high level. We have to take a chance on somebody this off season. A draft pick QB could just as easily, if not more easily be a bust. I for one would love this move, hopefully he could bring that kind of play to the skins, and we would get to keep our picks and use them else where. Because there is still more issues than just at QB. BRING IN FLYNN!!

First point, putting a statement in quotes without a source doesn't help much.

Second point, we were in most of our games and that was despite Grossman/Beck giving the other team the ball. 30 TOs from the QB position alone. With an upgrade at QB we will be vying for the division crown.

Our D went from almost dead last to just outside the top third this season despite having 2 new DL, 2 new LBs, 1 new CB, 1 new S, Landry injured, Atogwe injured, and our 2nd rd draft pick injured. With a limited offseason.

First point to you, admit you were wrong, second point the source is Chris Russell directly from the quote which entails the quatation marks that I assumed you had read. This team problems goes well beyond a qb, though I agree a qb is where the Skins need to start but lets not kid ourselves as fans anymore and think this team is a qb away from the playoffs. When the D becomes a solid top five defense and not just about yards, I mean turnovers, and limiting teams in points, sacks, and third down conversions then this team is a playoff contending team.

That is one hellava way to manage a game...... I would take a game manager that can do that any day!!

Timmy Smith had 204 yrd rushing in SB 22. I guess we should him locked him into a life time contract for that great game

One game means squat. The other game Flynn started had Jason Campbell like numbers. That being said he will be better than Grosssman

First point to you, admit you were wrong, second point the source is Chris Russell directly from the quote which entails the quatation marks that I assumed you had read. This team problems goes well beyond a qb, though I agree a qb is where the Skins need to start but lets not kid ourselves as fans anymore and think this team is a qb away from the playoffs. When the D becomes a solid top five defense and not just about yards, I mean turnovers, and limiting teams in points, sacks, and third down conversions then this team is a playoff contending team.

Admit I'm wrong? Where was I wrong? Because you assumed I read what a media guy said might happen?

This team does have more holes than just QB, but to think that you need every hole filled to contend is laughable because no team has every hole filled. And yet teams make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl every year. I contend that with competent QB play we'd have probably made the playoffs, by winning the division where we beat the Giants, who won the division, twice, lost to the Cowboys twice by three points because of FG issues and lost a number of other games because our QBs turned the ball over 30 times this year by themselves.

Again, where am I wrong?

Because that one great game is better QB play than any QB play that the redskins have had here in many many years. If you watch the tape, Flynn put those throws on the money. He is very capable at playing at a high level. We have to take a chance on somebody this off season. A draft pick QB could just as easily, if not more easily be a bust. I for one would love this move, hopefully he could bring that kind of play to the skins, and we would get to keep our picks and use them else where. Because there is still more issues than just at QB. BRING IN FLYNN!!

You are talking about a 7th round QB having a great game in offense that one of the best for a QB. Keep in mind even Vick has had incredible games(MNF massacre). You talking about throwing a big contract at a QB that has about as much experience as the ones coming out of the draft. Only difference is one has been sitting on the bench for years while the others are just coming into the NFL.

We need to be involved in the Flynn sweepstakes, just to make Cleveland think about signing him. It's not necessarily bait, because we could always just take him. And that's why it's a real threat. So if the Browns want him, they're going to have to make the move.

You are talking about a 7th round QB having a great game in offense that one of the best for a QB. Keep in mind even Vick has had incredible games(MNF massacre). You talking about throwing a big contract at a QB that has about as much experience as the ones coming out of the draft. Only difference is one has been sitting on the bench for years while the others are just coming into the NFL.

What kind of big contract you talking about? Is it assumed he'll make Rodgers money? Brees? What about Kolb money? Where do people get the idea that we would have to throw top money at Matt Flynn?

Archived