Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Black Monday - Post ALL firings of Coaches and GM's here.

c4man5282

I just looked up some stuff from the Indy papers and it is looking like the Polians and Caldwell could all be gone. Apparently they are in a meeting right now.

At this point, if Indy wants Luck, they should just offer Peyton $10 mil/year to be their OC for a few seasons. Might solve a bunch of their problems at once.

I just looked up some stuff from the Indy papers and it is looking like the Polians and Caldwell could all be gone. Apparently they are in a meeting right now.

Now THAT's interesting-- could open pandora's box w/ the Peyton situation. If the Colts want to move on from Peyton and draft a QB, they can hang it on the new GM.

The Colts situation is a ticking timebomb. I'm thinking it's unlikely Manning ever takes another snap for them, even if he's healthy. It could get ugly among the team, Peyton, and the fans. But they're a 2-14 team and they have to do what's right for the future of the franchise.

I don't know. I think Freeman is way over-hyped, and I think Bradford is damaged goods.

I think they both have potential still but have mired away on bad teams, though Freeman is only one season removed from a good performance. Shanny wanted Bradford and Freeman has the arm strength and mobility that could work well in our system. Guys like Favre, Steve Young, Drew Brees, and Matt Schaub did well with a change of scenery.

If Polian would've just gotten a decent QB like Matt Hasselbeck instead of intentionally tanking the season with Painter, he would stlil be in the job.

I honestly think Polian tanked the season by leaving the QB situation the way it was on purpose.

He outsmarted himself.

Chris Mortensen@mortreport

Filed to ESPN: Irsay cleans house, including Bill and Chris Polian, per league source

I just saw that too. Rather stunning, if the belief is that the Colts were losing on purpose.

Whatever their offseason plans were I think they just got changed.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 02:49 PM ----------

By the way it seems the Jags are looking at B Shottenhiemer from New York.

Polian won't be out of work long...can't argue with a guy who has been so successful with building teams

I don't know. I agree he'll likely find a job on another team, but I'm not sure how successful he has really been. The Colts D has typically been suspect at best and their O is nothing without Peyton. A lot of teams would slide without their star QB, by I don't know if many would slide as badly as the Colts did. I do give credit to the players that Polian has brought in, and that the Colts' failings in the playoffs may have simply been coaching issues, but the GM has to take blame along with credit. It is very easy to say right now that Peyton Manning kept Polian working and that once he was injured Polian's team essentially was exposed.

Polian has an eye for talent, but I just am not sure at this point if he is good at building an entire team given the collapse of the Colts.

Makes it interesting for a new coach and GM going to the Colts. If Peyton is healthy, wouldn't you much rather roll with him for a few years and get some extra draft picks than draft a QB and let Peyton move on? Peyton=assured success. Luck = learning curve, possibly a few losing seasons.

That would be my plan (but I'm not a GM...yet :ols:)

Hell, keep Peyton and draft "their guy" in a later round (Weeden, Cousins, Foles, Tannehill, etc) to learn under Peyton for a year or two.

You buy high and sell low a lot, don't you?
Nope, not at all. The Redskins don't need to buy low in these cases either, IMO. Freeman has had one good season, last year, that everyone seems to be riding on. I know Tampa is a bad team overall, but if you watched ANY of his games this year, he did not look good. He looked like the same QB he was before, i.e. he has regressed. Bradford had injury issues in college, and now, in the league, he has taken beating after beating. Hence why I believe he may be damaged goods. Both guys will have the opportunity to play next year and show that my assessment is wrong, but I doubt, especially in Freeman's case, that it will happen. Bradford could get healthy and get a strong line in front of him and work out the kinks and perform well. But, he has taken a beating, and many a young QB has suffered in the mental game because of that.

Archived