Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two Teamers: Is this Betrayal?

TheGoodBits

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

To begin, I'm a third generation Redskin fan and raising my three kids to follow in my footsteps. Along with most of you, I bleed Burgundy & Gold. Lately, I've struggled with a very serious dilemma and I can't reach a resolution without the input from this community.

I'm considering becoming a fan of the Ravens.

Not exclusively. I'll always be a fan of my Redskins. But, I live in Maryland, work in solid Raven territory, spend some fun nights on the town in Baltimore, and see that Raven's fans can be every bit as passionate about their team as we are about ours.

I can justify it as having my NFC and AFC teams.

It's harder for me to actually say than I can accurately express. In fact, putting it down in type makes me want to back off immediately and just forget the whole thing. But, I know the thought will creep back and I'll be left struggling with it again.

Is anyone else able to manage this? Am I betraying my loyalty to the Redskins? Will my late grandfather understand this and bestow his approval? Am I just a bandwagoner for the Ravens? Am I teaching my kids the correct principles of fandom?

Is this proposal a desperate attempt to redeem satisfaction from professional football in lieu of many years of disappointment during the dysfunctional Danny decade?

Help!

So who do you root for if we ever see a "Beltway Superbowl"? If i'm an acquaintance of yours' and i've watched you root for the ravens all year, as a Skins fan, i'm not so sure I want you rooting for the skins on my sideline, regardless of your pedigree. Go sit over there with your new purple and black ratbird "friends" :D

I haven't jumped the shark yet. In fact, once I posted this buggy thread, I immediately wanted to disown it. For those that have posted an opinion, it's clear I breached my contract as a fan of the Redskins. Thanks for setting me back on the right path. I'm entitled to a knee jerk reaction after yet another disappointing season.

I have rooted for the Skins always but also the Packers. Became a Packers fan in early 60's. Reason they won and we didn't. I had 3 pennants on my bedroom wall. Skins,Packers and senators. I would never root of anyone if it adversely affected the skins in making the playoffs or daft for that matter

There is no way in hell I could even consider another team as an option but for arguements sake let's say I did...

There are a couple teams that I absolutely could never root for in any manner, The Ravens is one of those teams.

Everything about that putrid team disgusts me. buh-bye!

and remember: Purple is a girl's color!

I can't explain it, but I now despise the Ratbirds(and their fans) more than the Steelers. Almost to the point of wishing success for Pittsburgh.

Aside from that, I find myself cheering for the Chargers. I can commiserate with their fans when it comes to team mismanagement and Norv.

To begin, I'm a third generation Redskin fan and raising my three kids to follow in my footsteps. Along with most of you, I bleed Burgundy & Gold. Lately, I've struggled with a very serious dilemma and I can't reach a resolution without the input from this community.

I'm considering becoming a fan of the Ravens.

:doh:

The funny thing is you knew what the reaction was going to be before you hit enter and submitted the thread and poll. If you truly bleed Burgundy & Gold like most of us then this thought wouldn't have entered your mind. Stick with your team through thick and thin. It all comes full circle.

Ask a Mod to close this thread, and try to start the new year off right again. :D

In the NFL there is a un-written rule that you have one team and one team only as a fan. Now can you like other teams and root for them when they play. Sure, no problem with that. But if you go out and buy a Ray Lewis jersey or fill your cubicle at work with a Joe Flacco poster, a Raven's calender or other merchandise....

then you're a Raven's fan.

Since I have friends and family who are down with the Ravens hon' here's some new tips you need to know about being a Ravens fan:

1. When the Ravens lose, it's never the team's fault. It's always the refs. There is a secret conspiracy by the NFL to screw the Ravens as much as possible. Also, Roger Goodell is a closet Steelers fan. The Ravens don't lose ever.

2. The team scapegoat is always the offensive coordinator.

3. Ray Lewis is your new god. No matter what the Ravens do it's because of Ray Lewis. Even TV broadcasts have to pan over to him every second of the game. It's required to see Ray's reaction on every play. If you're lucky he might even dance after he makes a tackle. Also, the greatest invention to ever come out of the NFL is Ray's entrance.

4. The Redskins kept Baltimore from having a team after the Colts left. Also, the Battle of the Beltway is a significant series.

Go cheer for the Ratturds. Just don't come back when things get turned around.

Replies like this are having the strongest effect on me. The Redskins will turn things around. The reward will be sweetest for those that were loyal during the lean years. This dilemma is now resolved. It was a weak moment. Let's never mention it again. Nothing to see here. HTTR!

Most hated teams by a Skins fan...

1. Cowboys

2. Eagles

3. Giants

4. Ravens

I would stop watching football all together before hopping on the banwagon team. Their entire fanbase is full of ex Redskin fans that hopped to the trending winning team.

It okay to have an AFC team you root for (mine is the Steelers), but you always have to root for the Redskins first. In head to head matchups, f*** the Steelers and Rapethatburger.

Ravens are really pushing it though, since they're regional rivals with us. That makes it hard to justify.

The rules for rooting for another team are as follows:

1. You must always wear Skins apparel on game day. #2 team apparel is forbidden, unless they are not playing on the same day. Then you may wear #2 team apparel on the day they play, but only if it is not the day directly after a Skins victory. Example: you may wear #2 apparel on a Sunday if the Skins play Monday. You may not wear #2 apparel on Monday directly following a Skins victory, but may wear #2 apparel if the Skins lose (though it is bad form).

2. You may never root for the other team in any matchup with any bearing on the Skins. This extends beyond head to head matchups. Since this team is AFC, they usually don't have a bearing, and if they did it'd probably be good (like beating the Cowboys to spoil their season or something), but it's still possible. One common area might be draft pick order. You would not have been allowed to root for the Ravens last week when they played the Browns, since it had a direct impact on our draft position (similarly I was cheering on the Browns yesterday).

3. You must adorn your house in a 5:1 ratio of team decorations. Normally it's 3:1, but AFC rivals get a worse ratio (and NFC rivals are 20:1). 1 Ravens pennant means you need 5 Skins decorations. Furthermore, size counts. You can't have a Lewis fathead, and then count 5 skins coasters. If you have a Lewis fathead, you basically need 2 Skins fatheads and 3 jerseys lining the walls.

4. You must instill within you children a love of the Redskins, and be willing to abandon the Ravens if they show any signs of liking them. This is crucial. Your children will follow you, but are also naturally drawn towards winning teams (unless your kids are masochists, but then there are other problems). Rooting for the Ravens even a little might make them fans, so you have to be vigilant on this point. Also, if you attend games, you must attend 4 Skins games before you may attend one Ravens game. Usually it's a 2:1 ratio, but, again, rivals.

5. You may never pretend that Ray Lewis is better than London Fletcher. Fletcher is 10x better than Lewis, end of story. You must be willing to fight people on this point.

6. You may never vote for a Ravens player for a pro-bowl position if a Redskin is competing for the spot.

7. You may never like any player who joins the Ravens who was a former Redskin. Exception for players who were Ravens, left, then came back (Randle el and Steelers).

Follow these and I guess a trial period might be allowed. We'll see how it works out.

Archived