Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Patriots: Official ES OC/DC Discussion Thread

Jumbo

Sorry, guys, too much went south this week and didn't have time to get a crew together for these or develop solid OPs for these threads--so you're all on your own to get it rolling and keep it interesting. Talk football! Do it right! I have faith in youse! :D

I thik you meant that to go in the RB thread, amigo. But there seems to be a number of folks giving Kyle some rare love today (imagine that).

I've been pretty consistent in my support for Kyle, & today is definitely a highlight for him IMO. The mix of run/pass has been fantastic today, and we've been really efficient ESPECIALLY given the duct tape line working up front.

Not sure if it is the players or the scheme by the DC, but clearly to me the defense needs alot of work. This team has been relatively healthy but still manages to give up big chunks of yardage and lacks the ability to get turnovers. Back to back games giving up 34 points wont get it done in this league.

Obvious Roy Helu is a legit back, and Evan Royster got a carry. Where is Ryan Torain? Is he is done?

Helu, IMO is our RB of the future. Its going to be deadly when Hightower returns and then to give Royster some spot duty as the 3rd RB. Looks like this is now a position of strength. :)

I think Kyle has taken way too much heat from Skins fans, and I hope people will give him some credit today.

The pats defense is terrible, but we went out there with Rex Grossman, two rookie mid-late round picks in the backfield, a mess on the o-line, and our 3rd tight end. And we went punch for punch with Tom Brady's crew.

Not sure if it is the players or the scheme by the DC, but clearly to me the defense needs alot of work. This team has been relatively healthy but still manages to give up big chunks of yardage and lacks the ability to get turnovers. Back to back games giving up 34 points wont get it done in this league.

Missing both your starting safties and playing Doughty and a rookie against a team that passes 85% of the time means you are in for a long day. Add in their weird TE play against our LB (putting 98 and 91 in coverage which isn't their strength plus takes away the rush) and you have a long day. They were ok last week until they were gassed in the last five minutes. Secondary needs some work but the D is the least of our problems IMHO.

Kyle haters are absolute idiots. It really irks me when people blame him for lack of offensive production. It's egregious.

I think people who blindly follow a coach are complete idiots. It irks me when people don't realistically look at coaches for what they are, human. Kyle certainly makes some bad calls and the offense has been lacking creativity this year. Today was the first trick play I can remember for the year. When your OL sucks you don't continue to run the ball on obvious running downs such as second and short. I am not a Kyle hater, but certainly not a Kyle enthusiast as this point.

---------- Post added December-11th-2011 at 09:45 PM ----------

Kyle's best game today. Been really pleased with the offensive play-calling the past couple weeks, minus a few decisions in the Jets game to throw on 3rd and 1. Major props today though, he came out attacking and schemed the run game perfectly.

Good points. And it is really hard to estimate how hard it is to run the complete playbook considering the QB, injuries and etc. His knack for shying away from the running game when it worked would be my biggest gripe.

Missing both your starting safties and playing Doughty and a rookie against a team that passes 85% of the time means you are in for a long day. Add in their weird TE play against our LB (putting 98 and 91 in coverage which isn't their strength plus takes away the rush) and you have a long day. They were ok last week until they were gassed in the last five minutes. Secondary needs some work but the D is the least of our problems IMHO.

May I just mention that the two starting safeties you mention have contributed very little this year and I am not certain that it would have been much different if they were in there. In fact one could argue that the defense actually played worse after Landry came back earlier in the year.

I didn't like what Haslett had planned for today. You have to attack Brady up the middle and we seemed to be coming off the edges more often than not and we also played way to much man. Also, why did it take so long to double team Gronkowski? Has will lead us to mediocrity on defense in the long-run IMO....

I was happy with the play calling today, with Helu playing lights out and the Oline giving him lanes the Hogs would have been proud of, i was very very happy the only call i didnt like was the last pass, it should have been in the endzone where we needed six to win. But overall i would give an A+ for the game calling and execution

Perhaps someone can answer something for me - I always thought that if there was going to be a halfback or WR pass, that there could not be a forward handoff first (i.e. the player who gets the handoff/toss before throwing would have to be behind who is giving him the ball). Yesterday Rex forward handed off the ball to Helu before the flip to Banks. Evidently this is ok and I am dumb?

Perhaps someone can answer something for me - I always thought that if there was going to be a halfback or WR pass, that there could not be a forward handoff first (i.e. the player who gets the handoff/toss before throwing would have to be behind who is giving him the ball). Yesterday Rex forward handed off the ball to Helu before the flip to Banks. Evidently this is ok and I am dumb?

As long as it's behind the LOS, it's allowed.

I didn't like what Haslett had planned for today. You have to attack Brady up the middle and we seemed to be coming off the edges more often than not and we also played way to much man. Also, why did it take so long to double team Gronkowski? Has will lead us to mediocrity on defense in the long-run IMO....

Actually they seemed to be blitzing a lot from the edges, but if you watched the DL they were stunting a lot to try to get a 1v1 matchup up the middle. Its a gamble, but it also paid off at times during the game. We also did bracket Gronkowski but at the same time he's an unreal player and if you double him, then Brady is going to find another and take advantage of the 1v1 matchup. The D really wasn't the main problem, its tough to win when Brady is playing like he was in that 2nd half

As long as there was direct contact with the ball by the players, its ok. If he had pitched it 1 inch, then it would have been illegal. Same thing on laterals, which I haven't seen since the old Miami/San Diego; even past the los, as long as the ball has a movement opposite of the direction of the determined endzone, it is allowed.

And I DIDN'T sleep at a Holiday Inn Express; i'm just that good; don't believe me, ask me and I'll tell ya...:silly:

As long as there was direct contact with the ball by the players, its ok. If he had pitched it 1 inch, then it would have been illegal. Same thing on laterals, which I haven't seen since the old Miami/San Diego; even past the los, as long as the ball has a movement opposite of the direction of the determined endzone, it is allowed.

And I DIDN'T sleep at a Holiday Inn Express; i'm just that good; don't believe me, ask me and I'll tell ya...:silly:

As long as it's behind the LOS, it's allowed.

Thanks Gents.

Very happy with what Kyle did today. We skewed the pass:run ration to the favor of run, and we were extremely competitive.

Very, very well done. Major kudos.

New England is giving up 416.0 yards a game. Worst Defense in the nfl. Good thing we were competitive.

Archived