Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Fans at Redskins-Jets game injured in FedEx escalator accident

E33Green

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/fans-at-redskins-jets-game-injured-in-fedex-escalator-accident/2011/12/04/gIQAQ4ipTO_blog.html

"Following the Redskins’ 34-19 loss to the New York Jets Sunday afternoon, several fans were injured in an escalator accident as they tried to leave FedEx Field. About six fans were taken to area hospitals for evaluation following the accident. Details about their conditions were not immediately known."

Did anyone see this happen? Hope the fans are OK!

There was almost an incident after the 49ers game a few weeks back. People were jammed up on one of the platforms inbetween two escalators and more people were coming down the escalators. It was just too many people at once and there was nowhere to go, as the other escalators going down were packed as well. Everything ended up being OK, but I can easily see how there could become a big problem quickly.

I normally just take the ramps after the game. I realize that there are some people that have to take the escalators after the games, but it always seems like the escalators are packed and there is no one on the ramps. I just don't think it is too hard to walk down a ramp.

I saw this happen. It was on the escalator coming down from Club Level just near the Hall of Fame store. Coming down, my son and I were on the right-hand escalator. A fellow on the left-hand escalator who seemed to have imbibed far too much based on his red-faced countenance and slow swaying started teetering, stumbled and fell forward, knocking into the fans on the few steps below him, including a small child. A couple guys on the step behind him reached down, caught him and struggling, eventually were able to lift him back to his feet when the escalator was about halfway down its trip. So it wasn't a problem with the escalators or anything, it was a problem with people not knowing when to stop drinking.

I saw this happen. It was on the escalator coming down from Club Level just near the Hall of Fame store. Coming down, my son and I were on the right-hand escalator. A fellow on the left-hand escalator who seemed to have imbibed far too much based on his red-faced countenance and slow swaying started teetering, stumbled and fell forward, knocking into the fans on the few steps below him, including a small child. A couple guys on the step behind him reached down, caught him and struggling, eventually were able to lift him back to his feet when the escalator was about halfway down its trip. So it wasn't a problem with the escalators or anything, it was a problem with people not knowing when to stop drinking.

I saw the aftermath. I always take the ramp down, so I didn't notice anything until I was at the bottom. There were two large men sitting against the fence with an ambulence. That's really all I saw. I was too busy dodging trash cans that the drunk idiots on the ramp were kicking and one of them actually hit my brother. The atmosphere yesterday was by far the worst I've seen at FedEx. Just poor.

Hope everyone is okay from this accident. But the over-drunk idiot who hurt someone should not be welcomed back to the stadium.

I saw the aftermath. I always take the ramp down, so I didn't notice anything until I was at the bottom. There were two large men sitting against the fence with an ambulence. That's really all I saw. I was too busy dodging trash cans that the drunk idiots on the ramp were kicking and one of them actually hit my brother. The atmosphere yesterday was by far the worst I've seen at FedEx. Just poor.

Hope everyone is okay from this accident. But the over-drunk idiot who hurt someone should not be welcomed back to the stadium.

DC, I'm curiious, what about the stadium atmosphere made it so poor? What happened?

DC, I'm curiious, what about the stadium atmosphere made it so poor? What happened?

The more the Skins lose as the season goes on, the more it seems the fans get wasted. Not drunk, but wasted.

I am a fan that gets drunk at games, but always in control enough to not cause stupid issues. However, I have noticed as the season goes on and the less we have a chance at anything meaningful in a season, the more I see the fans turn into wasted slobs.

I believe that is what this guy means.

At the game yesterday as well. Jets fans are pretty classless, and i know this first hand living in NYC. They are definitely in the mix for the worst fans in the NFL. Basically they try to be as loud and as obnoxious as possible.

P.S. I didn't get into an argument with anyone or anything whatsoever, but this was from observations around me at FedEx and my 22 years of living in NYC. Giants fans are definitely a step up.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, especially with all the drunk foos.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 02:42 PM ----------

I agree with Hitman, it felt like I was in bad episode of th Jersey Shore with those vanilla-ice wannabe Jets fans. Some of the nastiest people I've ever scene.

The more the Skins lose as the season goes on, the more it seems the fans get wasted. Not drunk, but wasted.

I am a fan that gets drunk at games, but always in control enough to not cause stupid issues. However, I have noticed as the season goes on and the less we have a chance at anything meaningful in a season, the more I see the fans turn into wasted slobs.

I believe that is what this guy means.

It's normal. As the Skins get farther and farther away from a playoff spot, the game turns more into a party. And, as we all know, some can't handle parties. Especially not ones that last 7 hours.

Well, I understand that each game you are going to have your fans who like to drink, but yesterday it seemed that the amount of fans who were "sneeze in my direction and I'll fall over" drunk were at a 2 to 1 ratio in the 400's. A lot of the Jets fans were out of control. I had to actually get security to come to my section for the first time, and I am very tolerant of our own fans with alcohol issues as well as visiting fans, I am all about guys having a good time. The walk down from the 400's on the ramp, there were Redskins fans throwing trash cans at the wall, kicking trash cans, one guy kicked a trash can and hit my brother... it was just a fanbase that was accepting another losing season I guess. I understand it, and I felt bad too, but I've been to a lot of games and never saw people acting like that to that extent.

The staff was great, I have no complaints about the operations. Even the new security measures went smoothly. Just a bad mix of alcohol, timing, and oppenents fans I guess. It's just too bad because I was joking with my brother that I won't be able to bring my son to a game until he can defend himself, which shouldn't be the case.... but I was very serious at the same time.

I don't understand why a fan would go to a game and get so drunk that he can't stand up (and I don't want to hear the excuse of "well it's the only way I can tolerate the game" because it's not, and if that's the case guys need to stay home or go to a bar). And from what this story says, it looks like a fan who was so drunk he couldn't stand up actually hurt some people. It's a shame.

I think we as a fanbase need to do a better job policing our bretheren, I am all about having a good time, but guys, let's be smart and not encourage people at our tailgates to drink so much they can't handle themselves.

Well, I understand that each game you are going to have your fans who like to drink, but yesterday it seemed that the amount of fans who were "sneeze in my direction and I'll fall over" drunk were at a 2 to 1 ratio in the 400's. A lot of the Jets fans were out of control. I had to actually get security to come to my section for the first time, and I am very tolerant of our own fans with alcohol issues as well as visiting fans, I am all about guys having a good time. The walk down from the 400's on the ramp, there were Redskins fans throwing trash cans at the wall, kicking trash cans, one guy kicked a trash can and hit my brother... it was just a fanbase that was accepting another losing season I guess. I understand it, and I felt bad too, but I've been to a lot of games and never saw people acting like that to that extent.

The staff was great, I have no complaints about the operations. Even the new security measures went smoothly. Just a bad mix of alcohol, timing, and oppenents fans I guess. It's just too bad because I was joking with my brother that I won't be able to bring my son to a game until he can defend himself, which shouldn't be the case.... but I was very serious at the same time.

I don't understand why a fan would go to a game and get so drunk that he can't stand up (and I don't want to hear the excuse of "well it's the only way I can tolerate the game" because it's not, and if that's the case guys need to stay home or go to a bar). And from what this story says, it looks like a fan who was so drunk he couldn't stand up actually hurt some people. It's a shame.

I think we as a fanbase need to do a better job policing our bretheren, I am all about having a good time, but guys, let's be smart and not encourage people at our tailgates to drink so much they can't handle themselves.

Thanks for sharing. That's a pity. Given that and a lot of my own experiences with drunken fans at FedEx, it seems as though going to the games is no longer fun when you have to worry about all that other mess.

Archived