Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roster since shanahan came to town?

doctorshockalu

This is by no means official - i basically just looked up all the players that were released by the Redskins since Shannahan took over and looked them up on Rotoworld:

Released (On Rosters):

OG Paul Fanaika Seahawks

QB Richard Bartel Cardinals

S Tyron Carter Chargers

NT Howard Green Packers

WR Shay Hodge Bengals

OG Chad Rinehart Bills

CB Ramzee Robinson Browns

WR Devin Thomas Giants

DL Jeremy Clark Eagles

OG Derrick Dockery Cowboys

RB Andre Brown Giants

P Sam Paulescu 49ers

K Shayne Graham Dolphins

OT Selvish Capers Giants

QB Kellen Clemens Texans

RB Shaun Draughn Chiefs

LB Thaddeus Gibson Texans

OG Artis Hicks Browns

LB Edgar Jones Ravens

RB Keiland Williams Lions

RB Tashard Choice Bills

Released (Free Agents):

K Justin Medlock

DL Greg Peterson

WR Marques Hagans

RB Willie Parker

FB Carey Davis

LB Curtis Gatewood

TE Lee Vickers

WR Bobby Wade

RB Larry Johnson

WR Joey Galloway

P Hunter Smith

RB Clinton Portis

C Casey Rabach

DE Phillip Daniels

NT Maake Kemoeatu

RB Chad Simpson

WR Roydell Williams

WR Malcolm Kelly

LB Obi Ezeh

WR Isaac Anderson

LB Horatio Blades

NT Anthony Bryant

TE Tony Curtis

QB Matt Gutierrez

S Chris Horton

CB Reggie Jones

OT Clint Oldenburg

C Donovan Raiola

TE Derek Schouman

DB Davonte Shannon

DL Jeff Stehle

TE Dominique Byrd

Traded (On Rosters):

QB Donovan McNabb Vikings

DL Albert Haynesworth Buccaneers

DL Vonnie Holliday Cardinals

Traded (Free Agents):

CB Doug Dutch

TE Dennis Morris

DE Jeremy Jarmon

Yeah it says a lot when the players released that are not currently on a roster far exceeds the ones who are.

Well, to me it says the team is making better personnel choices. Personally, I'm enjoying seeing draft picks contribute off the bench for once, and I'm thinking of someone like Perry Riley here, not a Kerrigan or Orakpo or Trent Williams, who has started from day 1. A draft pick who sat the bench for awhile, we didn't know if he was any good, and guess what, when he gets his opportunity, he's actually good at his job. How many times has that happened to us recently? That tells me we're heading in the right direction depth wise.

Well, to me it says the team is making better personnel choices. Personally, I'm enjoying seeing draft picks contribute off the bench for once, and I'm thinking of someone like Perry Riley here, not a Kerrigan or Orakpo or Trent Williams, who has started from day 1. A draft pick who sat the bench for awhile, we didn't know if he was any good, and guess what, when he gets his opportunity, he's actually good at his job. How many times has that happened to us recently? That tells me we're heading in the right direction depth wise.
I agree with this statement.

It also provides further proof as to why it's taking so long for Shannahan to turn this ship around. The talent level was awful on this team as a result of years of terrible Vinny-led personnel moves.

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 11:36 AM ----------

PD - you were one of the good ones out there. I hope they bring you back into the organization in some capacity in the future when appropriate. (coach? front office?)

I took a look at when these guys were signed and released.

2 of them (Paulescu and Hagans) were actually released before Shanny got here.

I identified guys who were either camp fodder, short term evaluations (ex. Tashard Choice) or signed in the offseason and ultimately cut after camp, and took them off the list. Here's what remains:

Released (On Rosters):

OG Paul Fanaika Seahawks

QB Richard Bartel Cardinals

OG Chad Rinehart Bills

WR Devin Thomas Giants

OG Derrick Dockery Cowboys

RB Andre Brown Giants

OG Artis Hicks Browns

RB Keiland Williams Lions

Released (Free Agents):

RB Larry Johnson

WR Joey Galloway

P Hunter Smith

RB Clinton Portis

C Casey Rabach

DE Phillip Daniels

NT Maake Kemoeatu

RB Chad Simpson

WR Roydell Williams

WR Malcolm Kelly

LB Horatio Blades

NT Anthony Bryant

S Chris Horton

OT Clint Oldenburg

Most of them were either injured, getting older, or underperforming. So I think it's safe to say most were good decisions. It's interesting that 4 of the 8 guys who were released and are now on rosters are OGs. Not sure what that means, but it seemed to jump out at me.

Also, look at what we got for the trades:

McNabb - 2012 6th and conditional 2013 6th

Haynesworth - 2013 5th

Holliday and 2011 6th - Hightower

Dutch - Beck

Morris - Hall Davis (released)

Jarmon - Gaffney

I'd say that Morris/Davis was a wash (I don't understand how that one worked - does anyone else?) and Beck was a bust, but Gaffney and Hightower were pretty good (I know TH is injured but it was a good decision at the time) and I think we're all pleased that we got something back for DM and AH.

Finally, of the 28 guys released or traded after discounting the camp fodder/short term guys, half were brought here by Shanny and half were inherited from Vinny.

I don't have time to look this up, but it would be interesting to know how many of the guys Shanny brought have stayed versus how many have been released/traded (minus the short termers and camp fodder).

Good post MassSkinsFan!

Most of them were either injured, getting older, or underperforming. So I think it's safe to say most were good decisions. It's interesting that 4 of the 8 guys who were released and are now on rosters are OGs. Not sure what that means, but it seemed to jump out at me.

Of the 4 guards, I believe they're all backups who have been forced to start on occasion due to injuries. I don't miss Rinehart. Don't even remember Fanaika. Dockery just didn't fit. Although Hicks would have been wanted. I suppose the coaches saw enough potential in Hurt that they gambled he could improve quickly enough. But that doesn't seem to be the case. The jury's still out on his future. He has some decent plays and some piss poor ones. Who knows if he makes the team again next season, but keeping him around for depth and development wouldn't be a bad thing.

I do know that he's better than Selvish Capers (whose now on the Giants). Capers was embarrassing to watch in the preseason.

Doh! Looks like I missed a few.. my bad!

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 06:46 PM ----------

I'd have to agree with the Andre Carter and Phillip Daniels releases.

I could make an argument for Phillip Daniels over Darrion Scott, even if he was up there in age, but keep in mind we released PD93 before Jarvis got injured.

As for AC - he was great for us, and is a good player for sure - but after seeing him in the 3-4 and our current LB corps, I can't say I'd rather have him over anyone we have now.

Archived