Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Anyone Watch The American Music Awards?

DM72

What a bunch of old farts in here whining about how today's music sucks. "Today's music sucks" is an argument that has only been made by EVERY generation since music's been made.

Do you think anybody's gonna be listening to todays garbage in years to come. Go to any sports stadium and you still hear 80's music pumping. Turn on the radio and you still hear songs from the 70s and 80s. I have a strange feeling you will not be hearing any Justin Bieber of Nicki Manaj in 20 years.

Do you think anybody's gonna be listening to todays garbage in years to come. Go to any sports stadium and you still hear 80's music pumping. Turn on the radio and you still hear songs from the 70s and 80s. I have a strange feeling you will not be hearing any Justin Bieber of Nicki Manaj in 20 years.

Spoken truly like someone who only listens to oldies and sees a few popular, yet crappy artists, and decides that (with his severely limited knowledge) that all current music sucks

You're kidding yourself. For every 70's classic I could counter with a "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo." Same with the 80s and 90s. Nostalgia warps perspective.

Dan, please. Like Evil Genius said, the no talented wonders of back in the day were no awarded like these people are today. Case in point, just go Google up the list of legendary artist that has never won a Grammy while people like Brittney Spears have a slew of them.

PS: Justin Bieber is gonna end up as a more celebrated artist than artist like Marvin Gaye and Rod Stewart.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 06:56 PM ----------

Spoken truly like someone who only listens to oldies and sees a few popular, yet crappy artists, and decides that (with his severely limited knowledge) that all current music sucks

I listen to quite.a bit of contemporary music and it just isn't that good. There are a few good artist, but for the most part, they take a back seat to entertainers like Beiber and Minaj.

DM, you're confusing popularity with vocal ability. There are a ton of talented artists who couldn't reach a certain level of popularity because they didn't have the "Look." If popularity was soley based on someone's ability to sing, or lyrical quality people like Nicki Minaj would not exist. Being a popular artist is about more than that, and some people can pull it off better than others. No one is going to take your Marvin Gaye away from you. He is one of the greatest R&B artists of all time.

No one forgot about Beethoven because of the Beatles. No one is going to forget about Marvin Gaye because of Bieber (not that he is even anywhere near that level). And just because someone wins an award doesn't always necessarily mean that they are a great artist, and just because someone may even win a slew of awards over their career does not mean that they are better than another artist just for that reason.

DM, you're confusing popularity with vocal ability. There are a ton of talented artists who couldn't reach a certain level of popularity because they didn't have the "Look." If popularity was soley based on someone's ability to sing, or lyrical quality people like Nicki Minaj would not exist. Being a popular artist is about more than that, and some people can pull it off better than others. No one is going to take your Marvin Gaye away from you. He is one of the greatest R&B artists of all time.

No one forgot about Beethoven because of the Beatles. No one is going to forget about Marvin Gaye because of Bieber (not that he is even anywhere near that level). And just because someone wins an award doesn't always necessarily mean that they are a great artist, and just because someone may even win a slew of awards over their career does not mean that they are better than another artist just for that reason.

Good points. But you just get tired of seeing people that aren't all that talented get rewarded year after year. And on too of that, some of these guys really need to be humbled. Justin Beiber addressing "haters." Nicki Minaj jumping in Mariah Carey's face? Do I need to bring up Kanye West? A lot of these people are just unlikable.

What a bunch of old farts in here whining about how today's music sucks. "Today's music sucks" is an argument that has only been made by EVERY generation since music's been made.

Ding, ding.

Seriously, "back in my day" is such a tired argument. You'll hear plenty of that around the dinner tables this weekend. Each generation can go tit for tat on practically everything. 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's all had amazing music, as well as plenty of crap we'd like (and always do) forget. The influence an artist can have on future generations is impossible to predict, but technological advancements in recording and the ability of ANY ARTIST to reach the masses is the greatest it has ever been. Today... at this very moment... if you can't find good music... movies... TV shows... books... a nice local restaurant to take a date... it's your own damn fault. Open your eyes.

And what were stadiums in the 80s pumping? Music from the 60s and 70s.

Good music stands the test of time. The reason you still hear good music from the 70s and 80s is because there was some great, great music made back then. But there was also alot of drek recorded then too. ALOT of drek. The great songs still get played today. The drek is - thankfully - forgotten. Just as today's drek will be forgotten while the good stuff lasts.

Just last week I was long distance driving and while channel surfing I heard a snippet a radio station replaying a recording of Kasey Kasum's American Top 40. The one song I remember was James Taylor's How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You). I just looked it up and it came out in 1975. So here's the American Top 40 year-end survey from 1975:

AMERICAN TOP 40 YEAR-END SURVEY 1975

1975 Top 100

1 LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER CAPTAIN & TENNILLE

2 RHINESTONE COWBOY GLEN CAMPBELL

3 PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM ELTON JOHN

4 BEFORE THE NEXT TEARDROP FALLS FREDDIE FENDER

5 MY EYES ADORED YOU FRANKIE VALLI

6 SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL GRAND FUNK

7 SHINING STAR EARTH, WIND & FIRE

8 FAME DAVID BOWIE

9 LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN NEIL SEDAKA

10 ONE OF THESE NIGHTS EAGLES

11 THANK GOD I'M A COUNTRY BOY JOHN DENVER

12 JIVE TALKIN' BEE GEES

13 BEST OF MY LOVE EAGLES

14 LOVING YOU MINNIE RIPERTON

15 KUNG-FU FIGHTING CARL DOUGLAS

16 BLACK WATER DOOBIE BROTHERS

17 BALL-ROOM BLITZ SWEET

18 HEY, WON'T YOU PLAY, ANOTHER SOMEBODY DONE SOMEBODY WRONG SONG B.J. THOMAS

19 HE DON'T LOVE YOU LIKE I DO TONY ORLANDO & DAWN

20 AT 17 JANIS IAN

21 PICK UP THE PIECES AVERAGE WHITE BAND

22 THE HUSTLE VAN MCCOY

23 LADY MARMALADE LABELLE

24 WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS WAR

25 LOVE WON'T LET ME WAIT MAJOR HARRIS

26 BOOGIE ON REGGIE WOMAN STEVIE WONDER

27 WASTED DAYS & WASTED NIGHTS FREDDIE FENDER (TIE)

27 ANGIE BABY HELEN REDDY (TIE)

29 FIGHT THE POWER ISLEY BROTHERS

30 JACKIE BLUE OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS

31 FIRE OHIO PLAYERS

32 MAGIC PILOT

33 PLEASE MR. POSTMAN CARPENTERS

34 SISTER GOLDENHAIR AMERICA

35 LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS ELTON JOHN

36 MANDY BARRY MANILOW

37 HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN MELLOW OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN

38 COULD IT BE MAGIC BARRY MANILOW

39 CAT'S IN THE CRADLE HARRY CHAPIN

40 WILDFIRE MICHAEL MURPHY

41 I'M NOT LISA JESSE COLTER

42 LISTEN TO WHAT THE MAN SAYS WINGS

43 I'M NOT IN LOVE 10CC

44 I CAN HELP BILLY SWAN

45 FALLING IN LOVE HAMILTON, JOE FRANK, & REYNOLDS

46 FEELINGS MORRIS ALBERT

47 WHEN WILL I BE LOVED LINDA RONSTADT

48 CHEVY VAN SAMMY JOHNS

49 YOU'RE THE FIRST, MY LAST, MY EVERYTHING BARRY WHITE

50 PLEASE MR. PLEASE OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN

51 YOU'RE NO GOOD LINDA RONSTADT

52 DYNOMITE BAZOOKA

53 WALKING IN RHYTHM BLACKBYRDS

54 TRY TO REMEMBER GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS

55 MIDNIGHT BLUE MELISSA MANCHESTER

56 DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU SUGARLOAF

57 POETRY MAN PHOEBE SNOW

58 HOW LONG ACE

59 EXPRESS B.T. EXPRESS

60 THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD EARTH, WIND & FIRE

61 LADY STYX

62 BAD TIME GRAND FUNK

63 ONLY WOMEN ALICE COOPER

64 DOCTOR'S ORDERS CAROL DOUGLAS

65 GET DOWN TONIGHT K.C. & THE SUNSHINE BAND

66 ONE MAN WOMAN, ONE WOMAN MAN PAUL ANKA

67 YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL JOE ****ER

68 FEEL LIKE MAKIN' LOVE BAD COMPANY

69 HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU JAMES TAYLOR

70 DANCE WITH ME ORLEANS

71 NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE GLORIA GAYNOR (TIE)

71 CUT THE CAKE AVERAGE WHITE BAND (TIE)

73 I DON'T LIKE TO SLEEP ALONE PAUL ANKA

74 MORNING SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN DONNY & MARIE OSMOND

75 WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN THREE DEGREES

76 GET DOWN GET DOWN JOE SIMON

77 I'M SORRY / CALYPSO JOHN DENVER

78 KILLER QUEEN QUEEN

79 SHOE-SHINE BOY EDDIE KENDRICKS

80 DO IT B.T. EXPRESS

81 CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA

82 SHA LA LA MAKES ME HAPPY AL GREEN

83 LONELY PEOPLE AMERICA

84 YOU GOT THE LOVE RUFUS

85 THE ROCKFORD FILES MIKE POST

86 IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE TAVARES

87 THE NO-NO SONG RINGO STARR

88 JUNIOR'S FARM PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS

89 BUNGLE IN THE JUNGLE JETHRO TULL

90 LONG TALL GLASSES LEO SAYER

91 MISTY RAY STEVENS

92 SOMEONE SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT ELTON JOHN

93 BAD BLOOD NEIL SEDAKA

94 ONLY YESTERDAY CARPENTERS

95 I'M ON FIRE DWIGHT TWILLEY BAND

96 ONLY YOU RINGO STARR

97 YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET BACHMAN -TURNER OVERDRIVE (TIE)

97 THIRD-RATE ROMANCE AMAZING RHYTHM ACES (TIE)

99 SWEARIN' TO GOD FRANKIE VALLI

100 GET DANCIN' DISCOTHEQUE & THE SEX-O-LETTES

http://www.oldradioshows.com/at100/1975.html

I'll leave it to you to defend this list as soooo much better than music today. Because there is a whole lot of utterly forgetable crap in there. Along with a few gems.

Sorry Dan, but most of that stuff is comparable to todays pop garbage.

Not saying it was garbage or todays is garbage. Saying that it's not that much different as far as talent or star power.

You must have misread me. That's exactly my point. Most of it is forgetable fluff. Hilariously so. Sure, buried within are a few gems. But it's mostly forgetable music that was popular for a short time in that era. Just like music from any generation.

Why not compare what's on the AMAs now to...

40 years ago - 1972 --> http://www.oldradioshows.com/at100/1972.html

30 years ago - 1982 --> http://www.oldradioshows.com/at100/1982.html

20 years ago - 1992 --> http://www.oldradioshows.com/at100/1992.html

10 years ago - 2002 --> http://www.oldradioshows.com/at100/2002.html

Granted - these are user requested songs compiled by Casey Kasem (and Shadow Stevens). They are not a list of the best songs of that year. But neither is the AMAs...

Archived