Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Linebacker Thread: The Ryan Kerrigan Show

Hubbs

The Redskins are tied for first place in the league with 31 sacks on the year and people want to find a reason to complain? Look at the front seven sack output this season:

Redskins Sacks:

LB - Ryan Kerrigan 6

LB - Brian Orakpo 5.5

DL - Adam Carriker 5

DL - Stephen Bowen 4.5

DL - Barry Cofield 2

DL - Chris Neild 2

LB - London Fletcher1.5

DL - Kedric Golston 1.5

LB - Rocky McIntosh 1

yeah... get that bum Orakpo out of here. How dare he not have more sacks than Ryan Kerrigan right now! Never mind that the front seven is awesome and the most complete part of the entire football team. Let's ***** about Orakpo! If you want to find a problem look at the DBs. This team has 7 interceptions on the year... and our linebackers have 3 of those.

And Ive heard people on here saying that Carriker needs to go and he doesnt add much. You cant ask for more than 5 sacks in 10 games from a rotated 3-4 DE.

Anyways, Kerrigan is definitely in the hunt for DROY. Another huge play like his pick against NY and a few more sacks and he has a legit shot (depending on the play of Peterson and Miller)

SEASON TEAM GP TACK SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB

WSH

10 44 29 15 6.0 4 0 0 1 9 9 9 1 3 3 10

Hear me out here, as I seem to be one of the only fans left that has more loyalty to the team and less loyalty to the players..... But I think we should trade Brian Orakpo for a 1st rounder. He is probably the only player on the roster who would fetch us a first round pick, and I garuntee you that the Patriots would listen.

He was owned by Doug Free, and aside of 2 or 3 plays, he wasn't double teamed or held AT ALL. He was just beat. This happens more often than not. Orakpo isn't a guy that uses his hands or has an inside and outside pass rush move, he just tries to beat you outside. Kerrigan is a natural fit in the 3-4 scheme. I think Rob Jackson and Markus White would be doing just as well as Orakpo, and both of them are better at stopping the run than Orakpo is.

So, I would trade Orakpo, hopefully get something in the teens of the first round, and draft Dont'a Hightower or Mant'i Te'o to replace Fletcher, and I'm moving Markus White and Rob Jackson to the OLB spot to split reps/compete for time next season.

HAIL!

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 07:25 AM ----------

The Redskins are tied for first place in the league with 31 sacks on the year and people want to find a reason to complain? Look at the front seven sack output this season:

Redskins Sacks:

LB - Ryan Kerrigan 6

LB - Brian Orakpo 5.5

DL - Adam Carriker 5

DL - Stephen Bowen 4.5

DL - Barry Cofield 2

DL - Chris Neild 2

LB - London Fletcher1.5

DL - Kedric Golston 1.5

LB - Rocky McIntosh 1

yeah... get that bum Orakpo out of here. How dare he not have more sacks than Ryan Kerrigan right now! Never mind that the front seven is awesome and the most complete part of the entire football team. Let's ***** about Orakpo! If you want to find a problem look at the DBs. This team has 7 interceptions on the year... and our linebackers have 3 of those.

Good nugget Destino, but why don't you go back and show how many big runs broke right through "Highway 98" this year when he used his ONLY pass rushing move and was so far in the backfield that Felix Jones, LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, and the Carolina Panthers all ran big runs on his side?

He is a 4-3 defensive end who just seems to refuse to use a counter punch move, he is weak in coverage, and he isn't getting better.

HAIL!

Hear me out here, as I seem to be one of the only fans left that has more loyalty to the team and less loyalty to the players..... But I think we should trade Brian Orakpo for a 1st rounder. He is probably the only player on the roster who would fetch us a first round pick, and I garuntee you that the Patriots would listen.

So, I would trade Orakpo, hopefully get something in the teens of the first round, and draft Dont'a Hightower or Mant'i Te'o to replace Fletcher, and I'm moving Markus White and Rob Jackson to the OLB spot to split reps/compete for time next season.

HAIL!

He is a 4-3 defensive end who just seems to refuse to use a counter punch move, he is weak in coverage, and he isn't getting better.

HAIL!

Seriously you are not a minority here but fortunatly (i hope) are a minority in the real world . You are more loyal to the Redskins than you are to the players ... Interesting ...what is the team made up of ? Chopped liver ? Keep trading away talent and that is all it will be ...

I mean what gets me is that the post (and posts like yours) seem quite rational and well thought out but driven by a madden generation mentality and dismays me .

We had this with Cooley and I am sure we will have it with Davis and Hankerson (btw bad taste on the sig - guy is injured not being hidden or held back) and I am sure we will have it with Kerrigan in time .

What you are saying is you want to trade our 2009 first round pick - who has been to 2 probowls (so sports writters / players and fans - that are not you see something in this Orakpo bum) to the Patriots (or whoever comes a calling) for a pick later in the 1st than he was picked and hope a platoon of 7th round/undrafted free agents can replace him or the LB we pick with the 1st round pick we get off the patriots is balls out from day 1 to compensate (more than likely a MLB, which is not as important as OLB in the 3-4) - the best thing I can see coming from that trade is we tread water .. not a progressive move for a rebuilding team ...

Stop trying to hold players up to rediculous unatainable ideals no footballer can live up to and appreciate them for who they are . I have seen people call out Rak for not being Demarcus Ware, well no he isn't but then

1) Ware is possibly the most dominant pass rusher in the NFL right now and has 4 years more experience as an OLB

2) Ware has been fortunate to be on the defense of a team of a highly prolific offense . The job of a pass rusher is made an awful lot easier by being in the lead and being able to soley rush the passer ..

3) Ware is not the complete player people think he is . I mean I appreciate Ware is in his own class right now but I have seen him blow coverage get abused in the running game and miss tackles .

Look on the bright side - it isn't always raining .

He was owned by Doug Free, and aside of 2 or 3 plays, he wasn't double teamed or held AT ALL. He was just beat. This happens more often than not. Orakpo isn't a guy that uses his hands or has an inside and outside pass rush move, he just tries to beat you outside. Kerrigan is a natural fit in the 3-4 scheme. I think Rob Jackson and Markus White would be doing just as well as Orakpo, and both of them are better at stopping the run than Orakpo is.

HAIL!

Good nugget Destino, but why don't you go back and show how many big runs broke right through "Highway 98" this year when he used his ONLY pass rushing move and was so far in the backfield that Felix Jones, LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, and the Carolina Panthers all ran big runs on his side?

HAIL!

If you are looking for someone to blame for the big rushing gains this year look no further than Rocky McIntosh. He is almost responsible for every single one of the big runs against us this year. Missed tackles and gaps. Is why Riley is starting now. The hate for Orakpo still baffles me but whatever.

Love what Kerrigan is doing...but he has ZERO shot at winning the DROY over Von Miller as of right now. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but you can honestly make a legit argument that at this point, Miller is teetering on being a top-5 LB in the NFL. He's been THAT good.

*As far as Orakpo....he needs to do more. Kerrigan is a playmaker. Orakpo is not. We need consistency out of him and also for him to show some sort of a pulse when the NFCE games roll around. Hopefully he spends this offseason honing is craft a little more and working on more moves than just a bull rush or a spin where he gets taken out of the play.

I would like to see Rob Jackson get more reps as well.

Nah man... Von Miller has the DROY in the bag. Did you watch that game on Thursday? He was a beast out there. Nothing against Kerrigan' date=' and believe me i wanted to believe he was the best, but Von really is incredible.[/quote']

Kerrigan isn't that far off. Yes he has less sacks and 5 less tackles but, he has more FF and INTs, plus the defensive TD.

i think orakpo is one of the reasons all the other front 6 have been so successful. He's a beast going outside which forces the qb to take a step or two forward, which is normally when kerrigan takes the inside and hits him, or when the DE's come through the line. It's also a little easier for kerrigan to force fumbles from the qb when he is looking straight at the ball and can hit it, where rak just see's the qb's back

On a team filled with holes you do not create new ones. You want to gamble by trading a good player for a mid round pick. What is the upside of that move? White and Jackson have never shown themselves to be equal or better than Orakpo so that's a downgrade that you HOPE (without evidence) will develop. The draft pick you get may or may not produce a ILB that is any good. Worst case scenario you end up with two inferior line backers and downgrade the front 7 which is not this teams problem. This isn't Vegas. There is no need to risk so much for such a limited upside.

With Landry's contract up and the lack of a cover corner on the roster the defense may need two starters next season. The offense needs at a minimum a new starting QB, G, T, and WR. So we likely need 6 starting players next season... getting rid of a starter and making it 7 doesn't help.

Jackson is a best pass rusher on this team period. When you just watch the guy everysingle time he get's to the qb no matter what. Kerrigan and Rak are nice ,but they just don't rush the Qb better than RJax IMO. No,not saying he's better than Rakerrigan just saying as far as rushing the passer goes RJax is our best rusher on our team

On a team filled with holes you do not create new ones. You want to gamble by trading a good player for a mid round pick. What is the upside of that move? White and Jackson have never shown themselves to be equal or better than Orakpo so that's a downgrade that you HOPE (without evidence) will develop. The draft pick you get may or may not produce a ILB that is any good. Worst case scenario you end up with two inferior line backers and downgrade the front 7 which is not this teams problem. This isn't Vegas. There is no need to risk so much for such a limited upside.

With Landry's contract up and the lack of a cover corner on the roster the defense may need two starters next season. The offense needs at a minimum a new starting QB, G, T, and WR. So we likely need 6 starting players next season... getting rid of a starter and making it 7 doesn't help.

Well... Jackson sacked Romo sits to pee... Orakpo hasn't. Jackson has held the edge on rushes when he spells Orakpo. Not saying he is a gamebreaker, but Orakpo is not.

I agree with you on creating new holes, but I don't think it's as big a downgrade as you would think. If I was grading the linebackers this year, it would go like this:

Fletcher: A

Riley: B

Kerrigan: B+

McIntosh: C-

Orakpo: B

Jackson: C+

So you'd be going from a B to a C+ on the outside, but you'd be upgrading the ILB spot with a B+/A if you can get Te'o or Hightower. Also, keep in mind that Fletcher MAY or MAY NOT come back next year, and if he does, it's definately a fair well tour.

I've often paired Cooley and Landry as the most over rated players on this team, and feel that Gomes was drafted to take over for Landry. As far as a cover corner goes, I am not sure what the answer is, but it'll probably have to wait for another year unless we can get someone in FA this year.

My bottom line, Orakpo doesn't posses the skill to play OLB. He could make a decent DE, but as an OLB in the 3-4, he is a fish out of water.

EDIT: It's not a mid round picks, it would be a mid "first round pick."

Plus, Hightower and Te'o play in a 3-4, so the learning curve will be minimal.

Jackson is a best pass rusher on this team period. When you just watch the guy everysingle time he get's to the qb no matter what. Kerrigan and Rak are nice ,but they just don't rush the Qb better than RJax IMO. No,not saying he's better than Rakerrigan just saying as far as rushing the passer goes RJax is our best rusher on our team

I have been pleasantly surprised with Jackson's Pass rush, however, every time I've seen him make a good play (rushing) I've also seen him get burned on a run. At least two or three times this year he has taken himself out of the play and left a HUGE hole for the Rb. It's one thing to leave a gap for the LB to fill, another thing having to make an open-field tackle at the LOS. I haven't studied him or anything, but this is what I've seen. Definitely a talented situational rusher, beyond that I'm not sure. Perhaps all he needs is more experience.

The problem we're seeing here is that our fanbase as set an insane bar for Orakpo, and because he's not reaching it we want to get rid of him. Has Orakpo blossomed into our version of DeMarcus Ware yet? No he hasn't. Is he a liability on our team? No.

You can't have superstars on every part of our team. Orakpo might not be a top 5 3-4 OLB, but he's easily in the top 15. Those are harder to come by then you might think. Unless we were to receive a 1st round pick for him, or package our 1st rounder this year with him to move up to #1, you just don't get rid of this guy.

Agreed.

I have been pleasantly surprised with Jackson's Pass rush, however, every time I've seen him make a good play (rushing) I've also seen him get burned on a run. At least two or three times this year he has taken himself out of the play and left a HUGE hole for the Rb. It's one thing to leave a gap for the LB to fill, another thing having to make an open-field tackle at the LOS. I haven't studied him or anything, but this is what I've seen. Definitely a talented situational rusher, beyond that I'm not sure. Perhaps all he needs is more experience.

yes,this is correct

Archived