Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Linebacker Thread: The Ryan Kerrigan Show

Hubbs

So, our stud rookie continues to prove that he's a stud rookie.

On top of that, Perry Riley looks great. Really happy with how he's playing.

Seems like this is one unit that we can just sit back and enjoy. I suppose my biggest complaint would be that our 'backers have seemed to sometimes be slow in getting out into the flat on passing play, but we have no idea what coverage is called on any given play, so this might be a case of mistaken responsibility.

Riley and Fletcher played really well today, I'm more than happy with their performance. Other than missing that pick, Kerrigan played a great game too.

I thought Orakpo greatly improved trying to stop the run today, but it's so disappointing that he continues to put good pressure on guys only to let them get away. Obviously he's still young, but it seems like he's hit a roadblock and it's a bit alarming.

I would deal Rak next April while he has some value, being outplayed by a rookie every week and completely disappearing in NFCE games makes me wonder if he is just too undersized to fit the 3-4, pass rushing LB's can be found easier than quality lineman/QB's. If it meant an extra 1st/2nd rounder or trading up for a player like Luck I would have no problem saying farewell to Rak.

Orakpo needs to do something different than rush the outside every play. He ends up downfield behind the QB too many times as the OL know exactly what he is going to do every single play and just help him on his way past the QB (tha last play to Bryant being an example). If hje ever learns to rush the inside of his lineman he would improve no end as the Lineman would then have to make a decision.

Kerrigan does look an exciting player and should be a prominemt player for us for years to come. Riley looks like he will be an upgrade on McIntosh, a lot more mobile. Fletcher had a great game today and is someone all the roster can look up to.

You people calling for Rak to be traded are crazy. Orakpo is in his third year. THIRD. Lots of fans ripped him on his run defense. He has improved greatly in the last few weeks. Now you all hate on him for his pass rushing skills. I'm so glad none of you people make our personnel decisions. Our team would be truly pathetic with you geniuses making the calls.

You people calling for Rak to be traded are crazy. Orakpo is in his third year. THIRD. Lots of fans ripped him on his run defense. He has improved greatly in the last few weeks. Now you all hate on him for his pass rushing skills. I'm so glad none of you people make our personnel decisions. Our team would be truly pathetic with you geniuses making the calls.

Half a sack against the NFC East. I'm not calling for him to be traded but this is absolutely Unacceptable from a 1st round pick stud pass rusher. If I'm not mistaken, that's .5 sacks in 16 games played against NFC East opponents.

Im beginning to wonder about Rak's football "smarts" as well.. He's got the size and speed, but just doesnt seem to be learning a damn thing about playing his position better.. I dont doubt he tries hard, but he's just not getting anything done.. Kerrigan already owns him! My hope for Kerrigan is he stays healthy with this apparent jinxed bunch of hopefuls we currently have..

I would deal Rak next April while he has some value, being outplayed by a rookie every week and completely disappearing in NFCE games makes me wonder if he is just too undersized to fit the 3-4, pass rushing LB's can be found easier than quality lineman/QB's. If it meant an extra 1st/2nd rounder or trading up for a player like Luck I would have no problem saying farewell to Rak.

He's far from undersized. He's just nowhere near as good as some of his notable peers.

That said, trading Orakpo would be a mistake unless a team was willing to overpay for his service (i.e., give us value commensurate with what it took us to acquire him) or we already have a clear improvement at the position on the roster. Orakpo is the kind of player who will look good with better talent around him (esp. a Raji or Ngata type on the line) but he is not a cornerstone player. Sure, he's a little disappointing and is not what we thought he was as a rookie... but we could have done much worse at the top of that 2009 draft.

Im beginning to wonder about Rak's football "smarts" as well.. He's got the size and speed, but just doesnt seem to be learning a damn thing about playing his position better.. I dont doubt he tries hard, but he's just not getting anything done.. Kerrigan already owns him! My hope for Kerrigan is he stays healthy with this apparent jinxed bunch of hopefuls we currently have..

I'd label it a deficiency in instinct instead of a deficiency in smarts at this point. If he works real hard I'm sure he'll improve, for the time being he's just a purely physical talent trying to adapt to a league where his talents don't stand out as much as they did in college.

Yeah, because eff growing talent at home. Nobody does that.

Half a sack against the NFC East. I'm not calling for him to be traded but this is absolutely Unacceptable from a 1st round pick stud pass rusher. If I'm not mistaken, that's .5 sacks in 16 games played against NFC East opponents.

I agree he needs to improve that. But most of the comments on here are emotional knee jerk reaction. Rak was so close on many plays but Romo sits to pee does that to a lot of defenders not just Rak. I mean seriously who would replace him? I thinly with Kerrigan there and he is obviously a playmaker, Rak will only benefit from his presence. Not to mention Perry Riley has emerged as a solid ilb. Skins fans expect too much at times I believe.

Rak had a great rookie year too but his play does seem to be in decline somewhat. With the addition of Kerrigan, Bowen and Cofield, I know we were all expecting is numbers to go up and maybe they will. Probably just not this year.

This front 7 is the best we've had in a long time but they're still a "new" group. Next year with a year under their belts together, Jarvis Jenkins back in the mix and the benefit of a full training camp, we may see the jump in productivity that we've been waiting on.

Rak had a great rookie year too but his play does seem to be in decline somewhat.

I'm not so sure I'd say that his play has declined so much as stagnated. Some of us have been pointing out the problems everyone is chewing him out for now since the beginning of last year and I'd be willing to bet they were present his rookie year, too. He just didn't see enough snaps as a pass-rusher under Blache for his limitations to really become evident. Statistically it was his best year... but that's kind of to be expected when you get 4 sacks against Jamarcus Russel and Bruce Gradkowski playing behind a line that makes our prospective Brown-Polumbus-Montgomery-Chester-Smith line look all-pro.

This team has no QB. We lack a #1 receiver. The OLine is bad. Our corners cant cover. Fletcher is old and Landry's contract is expiring.

... And people are talking about trading Orakpo? We don't need to dig more holes right now.

Agreed. There are much bigger fish to fry. If you really want Orakpo gone hope that a late, late round pick or UDFA surprises us James Harrison style.

Who do people want to start opposite Kerrigan!!?? seriously. Orakpo and Kerrigan will be a great duo for years to come. Enough of this trade Rak nonsense.

This is exactly how I feel. Orakpo is a great player, who still has room to improve. Blame Haslett for not teaching him additional skills. Do not separate the Kerrigan/Orakpo tandem.

Archived