Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Linebacker Thread: The Ryan Kerrigan Show

Hubbs

I was at the game and watched Orakpo for long time. Every play the guy just puts his head down, bull rushes, and then looks up and realizes he's out of the play by about 5 yards. I wanted Rak to be great as much as anyone but the guy is a Rocky McIntosh grade player. He needs to be used as ammo in this next draft before people realize he's so average.

You people calling for Rak to be traded are crazy. Orakpo is in his third year. THIRD. Lots of fans ripped him on his run defense. He has improved greatly in the last few weeks. Now you all hate on him for his pass rushing skills. I'm so glad none of you people make our personnel decisions. Our team would be truly pathetic with you geniuses making the calls.

+1

I actually think Rob Jackson can give you the same thing Orackpo can give you. You trade Orackpo for a what 1st and 4th or 2 2nds.

You can't spell Orakpo and you think a guy that has 1 career sack can replace him.

This thread is hilarious. Orakpo is a strength on this team.

I figured Rak would be getting it in this thread for not getting a sack today. Especially since Kerrigan got one. Other than not getting that sack, though, he appeared better at holding the edge in the run game, he used a wide variety of rush moves, and he got some decent pressure.

As far as the new rush moves, I can tell he's still getting used to trying them, and that may be contributing to this "wall" he's hit. Everyone wanted him to learn some new moves, but it doesn't seem many people are paying attention that he's them or patient enough as he develops them.

His bread and butter has always been the outside rip move where he gets held a lot. I've seen him try an outside fake inside move, a straight bull rush, an outside fake to get the Tackle off balance then bull rush move, and even a spin move over the past few weeks. If he can get better at a few of those on top oh his outside rip, he will be an excellent rusher for us going forward.

He's trying to become the player we all want him to be. You just have to pay attention to see it. I'm hoping he succeeds.

So why did we draft Kerrigan? If we already had another probowl pass rusher on the team.

Kerrigan seems like a more complete player, he seems more comfortable dropping into coverage. He also strips the ball a lot better than Rak. Anytime Rak is free to hit the QB, he focuses purely on knocking the snot out of him and not trying to get the ball. Also you have to remember that Orakpo was not drafted by this coaching regime.

Kerrigan seems like a more complete player, he seems more comfortable dropping into coverage. He also strips the ball a lot better than Rak. Anytime Rak is free to hit the QB, he focuses purely on knocking the snot out of him and not trying to get the ball. Also you have to remember that Orakpo was not drafted by this coaching regime.

doesnt really have anything to do with my post.

You can argue that we now have the best linebacker core in the division with the emergence of Riley. Stick with Orakpo and look into another MLB for depth, because London is refusing to quit; but will the first one to be too old...

Edit - notice the difference in rush defense today and last game. Much improved with addition of Riley, he's a beast.

Rak needs to find an inside move, because he is always in the QBs face, but for some reason can't get his hands on him! Once this 3rd year stud works a bit more on his moves, watch out! Rak and Kerrigan will prove to be a top 3-4 LB duo for years to come.

His outside rushing will improve as well if he develops an inside move as he will keep the Tackle guessing as to what he is going to do. A position coach needs to spend some serious time with him helping him out so that he can make the use of his physical skills. With Jenkins and Neild our front 7 could be a strength for years to come.

doesnt really have anything to do with my post.

Are you sure? I spelled out why we drafted Kerrigan, he's more than just a pass rusher, Rob Jackson is JUST a pass rusher and it seems Orakpo might be JUST a pass rusher as well. And one that can't even get it done when it matters.

Are you sure? I spelled out why we drafted Kerrigan, he's more than just a pass rusher, Rob Jackson is JUST a pass rusher and it seems Orakpo might be JUST a pass rusher as well. And one that can't even get it done when it matters.

So were just gonna disregard that Rak has more tackles. Has gotten a couple forced fumbles this year. And a blocked field goal? Id agree that Ryan has made the adjustment to standing up better than Rak, but Rak's far from a one trick pony or a lost cause. Would be stupid to think about getting rid of him.

His outside rushing will improve as well if he develops an inside move as he will keep the Tackle guessing as to what he is going to do. A position coach needs to spend some serious time with him helping him out so that he can make the use of his physical skills. With Jenkins and Neild our front 7 could be a strength for years to come.

If you watch his pass rushing, you can clearly see a simple spin to the right and he's got a sack! It drives me crazy to see him overpower OL each and every game, yet always seeming to come within a few inches of a forced fumble and/or sack.

So were just gonna disregard that Rak has more tackles. Has gotten a couple forced fumbles this year. And a blocked field goal? Id agree that Ryan has made the adjustment to standing up better than Rak, but Rak's far from a one trick pony or a lost cause. Would be stupid to think about getting rid of him.

I don't think he's a lost cause, and as I've said before, I'm not on board with trading him. But he seriously needs to step it up in big games and against the NFC East in particular. He can't disappear for 6 games a year, we need him to put the opposing NFC East qb's in their place, which is the dirt.

I think our LB coaches are doing a poor job developing Orakpo. He has one pass rush move and like was said before he gets up field way too far and the QB just steps up and takes him out of the play. He is a great athlete that can play with anyone but he needs some developing.

Kerrigan on the other hand is a beast strait up and looks to be picking up quick with very little coaching.

I don't think he's a lost cause, and as I've said before, I'm not on board with trading him. But he seriously needs to step it up in big games and against the NFC East in particular. He can't disappear for 6 games a year, we need him to put the opposing NFC East qb's in their place, which is the dirt.

Absolutely.

Definitely needs to bring it. He needs to HATE those QBs.

Yeah, I do. If they didn't, his numbers would be way higher/

The Cowboys didn't focus on him today. He wasn't double teamed or chipped. Honestly, it was like he simply didn't want to play. We probably would have gotten the same performance if we had garter Lorenzo Alexander.

Bring on Markus White. At least he has an excuse for having no technique or repitore for rushing the passer.

Archived