Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Can Tashard Choice make a difference in Washington?

themurf

The Skins line is awful and I doubt Good Counsel would respect their passing game.

This is not a recipe for rushing success, and Choice won't be having any, nor will any other castoff. Adrian Peterson would probably put up 50 yards a game here.

Until we have an actual NFL caliber line this won't change.

We've all seen this movie a thousand times, yet we keep buying a ticket.

He's not that much of an upgrade over Torain or Helu, but the question remains is can he shoulder the load?

Over the last five games, Torain has 31 carries for 53 yards (1.7 yards per carry). So basically, as long as Choice rushes for at least 1.8 yards per carry, he's an upgrade over what the Redskins have had.

Who knows? I'm starting him over Torain in fantasy this week because my RBs blow.

We definitely miss Kory L. I wish Shanny would have done more in the offseason offensive line-wise, but at least he did something. The previous regime wasn't exactly big on building the trenches. Vinny would have missed on another receiver before he took Trent Williams.

This offseason will be all about the offense. Should be interesting -- as always.

Just curious: How will the Redskins be looking salary cap wise heading into the offseason?

As we currently stand, I believe we're somewhere in the region of $37 million under the cap going into 2012, but don't quote me. Of course we've some big re-signs to consider before we even get into FA and the draft, but we're as healthy as we've been in a good whiles at present going forward.

Hail.

You saying that line Portis was behind is better than this one?...All of a sudden they got "talented" the last six games of the season? uh, no.

sometimes you have just got to "will" some wins...and it takes heart. everyone in the nfl are pros, talented, etc.

Our line didn't get "better" for the playoff run, they were good to begin with. When you're leading games by two possessions, which we were 4 out of the last 5 games you run the ball to protect the lead, especially on a Joe Gibbs offense. Portis averaged 4.0 or 4.1 for 3 out of the 5 last games. That's average for an NFL runningback. His two big ypc games came against the #28 (St. Louis) and #15 (Dallas) run defenses. That Dallas game was the one Cooley had three touchdowns in the first half. Our running offense didn't all of a sudden become dominant because our line "will[ed]" some wins.

There isn't an easy fix to this. Our players don't need to be better coached or better motivated, they need to be better players. Our failures are due to a severe lack of talent. Poor management and constant schematic changes will do this to an organization. A lot of the OL we have aren't being groomed to become starters on this team, they are being groomed to be backups. This offseason is about the offense. After QB, OL is our top priority. With improved OL play the running game will come.

As we currently stand, I believe we're somewhere in the region of $37 million under the cap going into 2012, but don't quote me. Of course we've some big re-signs to consider before we even get into FA and the draft, but we're as healthy as we've been in a good whiles at present going forward.

Hail.

Like Fred Davis and Laron Landry right? There isnt one more is there?

Also i think we should try to target a WR in FA this offseason, i dont know who is available though. Desean maybe lol?

All this is mute if he can't even get, ya know, on the field....

It can't speak if he can't get on the field? What?

Over the last five games, Torain has 31 carries for 53 yards (1.7 yards per carry). So basically, as long as Choice rushes for at least 1.8 yards per carry, he's an upgrade over what the Redskins have had.
Wow.... 2 yrds per carry would put him in front of the competition lol..... How sad is that???

(Slaps palm in face)

Helu has 4.5 ypc on 19 carries over the same span. Why we even bother with Torain anymore is a complete mystery to me.

Like Fred Davis and Laron Landry right? There isnt one more is there?

Also i think we should try to target a WR in FA this offseason, i dont know who is available though. Desean maybe lol?

London Fletcher but he isn't likely to be a big payout.

which obviously means that the Oline should be a priority this offseason. Especially as it relates to depth. I'm certain, after 14 seasons he just suddenly forgot about running the football.

Maybe the rest of the league has changed and what he knows is no longer relevant?

Choice is a complete back. He's pretty shifty, can run with power, excellent receiver, good in pass protection. He's much better than Torain. I haven't seen enough of Helu to comment.

His problem in Dallas was that he wanted more carries, then when Jones gets hurt, Choice fumbles on his first carry. Murray runs for 250 in the next game. Pretty much over for Choice at that point. The third string back is a banger, so there just weren't any carries left for Choice.

Actually his problem in Dallas was pouting, running his mouth, fumbling at bad times, and refusing to play special teams. He is a backup or 3rd string RB who fancies himself a bonafide star RB and wanted to be treated like one on the back of 2 or 3 decent games 3 years ago. He has the talent to fill in nicely for a game or two and spell the starter occasionally but thats about it. He's been fumbling way to much to be a starting workhorse RB.

You saying that line Portis was behind is better than this one?...All of a sudden they got "talented" the last six games of the season? uh, no.

Oh, God. That 2005 line was good by any standard. It had one of the best LTs in the league, and it had a very good RT who was just starting his decline. The Redskins probably had the best combination of tackles in football for a few years in the middle part of this decade. Randy Thomas that year was maybe the second or third best guard in football. Dockery had his issues but was good enough to get a massive free agent contract two years later. Casey Rabach was pretty good. And think of this: That starting five missed two games among them. It was 14 games of all 5 in the starting lineup and two games without Thomas.

That 2005 team was very good in retrospect and was completely hamstrung my Mark Brunell.

That 2005 team was very good in retrospect and was completely hamstrung my Mark Brunell.

Brunell was fine until Patton went down and teams didn't feel like they needed to pay attention to a 2nd WR. Once you blanket Moss and Cooley there wasn't much that Brunell could do.

What happened at the end of the season was that the OL did break down and that was the last straw. But, 2005-2006 was the prime for that line. After that, it all went downhill.

Brunell was fine until Patton went down and teams didn't feel like they needed to pay attention to a 2nd WR. Once you blanket Moss and Cooley there wasn't much that Brunell could do.

What happened at the end of the season was that the OL did break down and that was the last straw. But, 2005-2006 was the prime for that line. After that, it all went downhill.

The lack of a REAL playmaker (somebody better than Moss and Cooley) has been an issue for this team for a LONG time.

Helu is complete garbage.....and if that is how I feel then Choice is driving the garbage to to dump.

They suck, plain and simple. Torian would excel on ANY other team in the NFL.

If he went to KC like it was rumored earlier we would be saying "why did we trade him"?

---------- Post added November-19th-2011 at 07:02 PM ----------

It can't speak if he can't get on the field? What?

Helu has 4.5 ypc on 19 carries over the same span. Why we even bother with Torain anymore is a complete mystery to me.

London Fletcher but he isn't likely to be a big payout.

Helu is complete garbage, wake up.

I seriously doubt it.

He is just gonna be another Rb in a stable of RBs that can't get going behind this joke of an o-line. I don't mind them bringing him in because it doesn't hurt us ...but don't kid yourself if you think we found a gem. We never find gems. I don't think you can ever expect too much from a player that gets cut in the middle of a season...especially when the team that cut him has an oft injured back in Felix Jones.

Really....I'd kill for 2005 pre-injury Mark Brunell right now.

Not that the current line could protect him for more than a few weeks.

On topic, as many others have said, I don't think any back could do much behind this OL. Maybe he'll be an upgrade in pass pro though.

Not that we have any weapons or anything. I really dread Sundays lately.

Archived