Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We are 15-34 since the high point of Horny for Zorny

Lombardi's_kid_brother

There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Let's pause for a moment to think back to the one of the true high points of Redskins history. Younger fans may not know this, but a long long time ago, this was a relevant franchise. We had a coach who was simply smarter than everyone else in the league and a front office that gave him the tools he needed to succeed. We were a powerhouse - a force to be reckoned with.

God, I miss those days.

What I'm talking about, of course, is the first 8 games of 2009.

Jim Zorn stood atop the league like a colossus with a flat top. Poems were written in honor of the man.

I'm horny for Zorny.

See what I mean? The question was not whether the Redskins would win but by how much. As a fan, you walked around with a certain confidence, like a member of the baddest gang in the land. Like the Black Widows from Every Which Way But Loose. And there was no beer-drinking orangutan to knock us down.

I hope that you kids will one day get to experience that feeling. I'm old; I've had my fun. It would frankly be greedy to ask for another eight games like that. But still....

Someday.

Someday.

:ols:

And it was the 2008 season, NOT the 2009 season!

Get it RIGHT!

We are on the verge of matching the 3 worst back to back to back seasons in franchise history.

How is it that in the last 20 years we have gone through 3 years of 4-12, 6-10, 3-13 TWICE?

1993: 4-12

1994: 3-13

1995: 6-10

Close, but not the worst:

1959 - 3-9

1960 - 1-9-2

1961 - 1-12-1

As far as I'm concerned the swinging gate gets too much hate. Yes, it was very very stupid, but Zorn was 1 for 2 in silly plays like that. 50%. not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGxtkx2l5I

And in hindsight, remember we learned that Zorn was disrespected big time, having Vinny demand him to apologize to Clinton Portis. A coach APOLOGIZING to PORTIS. He certainly did not, then he basically flipped the bird at the owners box and called the swinging gate. It was awesome.

edit-Unless I'm mistaken and that happened in 09, but nonetheless, I would think he was disrespected and not taken seriously from the get-go.

and the beauty was we line it up twice....back to back....Hunter Smith was a great QB.....

A lot of people have forgotten that we did the EXACT same thing in the Denver game earlier that year, except the result was a TD. Lined up...they called time out...did it again...TD! No wonder Zorn thought he was a genius.

And in hindsight, remember we learned that Zorn was disrespected big time, having Vinny demand him to apologize to Clinton Portis. A coach APOLOGIZING to PORTIS. He certainly did not, then he basically flipped the bird at the owners box and called the swinging gate. It was awesome.

edit-Unless I'm mistaken and that happened in 09, but nonetheless, I would think he was disrespected and not taken seriously from the get-go.

I imagine Zorn's thought process went something like this;

"These jackasses made ME apologize to a PLAYER for doing something wrong. They hired me, and then told me I couldn't hire my own staff, my own coaches. The team doesn't respect me. The owners don't respect me. The fans want me gone. No matter what I do, I'm going to lose this game, and I'm going to get fired. I'll be lucky to ever get a head coaching job in the NFL again. I'm broken. I'm beat down. And I'm tired of all these ****ing people...**** it, we're going swinging gate."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEIWD9_OQ4Y

And it's the worst possible version of that particularly fake field goal formation, too. We run everyone to the left, leave a tight end to block. Look at Graham. He's just standing there, either because he didn't get what he was supposed to do on such an idiotic play ("AM I SUPPOSED TO BLOCK!?") or because he was in awe of everything.

It was, quite frankly, a giant middle finger to every single person who ever cared about the Redskins, including the owner. And I can't even blame him.

And it's the worst possible version of that particularly fake field goal formation, too. We run everyone to the left, leave a tight end to block. Look at Graham. He's just standing there, either because he didn't get what he was supposed to do on such an idiotic play ("AM I SUPPOSED TO BLOCK!?") or because he was in awe of everything.

It was, quite frankly, a giant middle finger to every single person who ever cared about the Redskins, including the owner. And I can't even blame him.

Ahhhh the sped up video and music makes that play a gem every time I watch it.

Seriously, and you have to wonder if Zorn is not laughing his ass off right now at how this team is performing. Unfortunately for JZ, he was linked to Cerrato. Some will agree with Vinny that Zorn inherited a playoff team, but it seems like, if you want to split hairs, Zorn inherited a team that just happened to make the playoffs the previous year. If Campbell doesn't go down against Chicago, the 2007 team doesn't get in. And Zorn of course was going to be absent the guy who had been the best player on the team, who tragically was murdered the year before.

Even if you take away Zorn's 6-2 start, he still has the same record in his 9th thru 25th game (5-12) as Shanny does in the same 17 games of his tenure.

Archived