Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Park: Redskins Make Roster Moves

Mark The Homer

For Immediate Release

Nov. 8, 2011

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed wide receiver David Anderson, defensive lineman Kentwan (KEN-twon) Balmer and cornerback Domonique “D.J.” Johnson. The Redskins waived tight end Dominique Byrd, defensive lineman Darrion Scott, wide receiver Donte Stallworth and cornerback Brandyn Thompson. They also released Tristan Davis from their practice squad.

Anderson, 28, has appeared in 63 games with 10 starts during his six NFL seasons (2006-11), all with the Houston Texans. For his career, he has amassed 82 receptions for 895 yards (10.9 avg.) and three touchdowns. He has also returned three kickoffs for 90 yards (30.0 avg.) and returned five punts for 26 yards (5.2 avg.).

This season, Anderson was released by the Texans on July 30 before signing with the Denver Broncos on the same day. He was released by the Broncos on Sept. 3 before returning to the Texans on Sept. 15, with whom he appeared in two games before being released on Oct. 12.

In 2010, Anderson (5-10, 193) played in 12 games with one start and caught 11 passes for 117 yards (10.6 avg.). This came following a career year for Anderson in 2009, when he posted career highs in receptions (38) and receiving yards (370). The career highs for Anderson were established during the final year of current Redskins’ Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s tenure as offensive coordinator in Houston.

Anderson was originally drafted by the Houston Texans in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft (251st overall). Anderson played collegiately at Colorado State, where he played in 47 games with 43 starts. He left the school as the program’s all-time leader in receptions (200), receiving yards (3,330) and 100-yard receiving games (15).

Anderson was born on July 28, 1983. He attended Thousand Oaks High School in Thousand Oaks, Calif., where he was earned All-Conference honors three times and was named to the All-State team twice. He holds all major receiving records at Thousand Oaks, including season and career records for both receptions and receiving yardage.

Balmer (6-5, 315) was originally drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the first round (29th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft and spent his first two seasons with the 49ers before being traded to the Seattle Seahawks on Aug. 16, 2010 for a sixth-round draft choice. During his career, he has appeared in 43 games with 11 starts and amassed 83 tackles. He was waived by the Seahawks on Aug. 24, 2011, before being claimed off waivers a day later by the Carolina Panthers. He was released by the Panthers on Sept. 1.

In 2010, Balmer played in all 16 games for the Seahawks with 11 starts, recording a career high in tackles (43).

Balmer played in 11 games in 2009, totaling 20 tackles before being placed on the Reserve/Injured list on Dec. 12 with a shoulder injury. He appeared in all 16 games as a rookie, totaling 20 tackles.

Balmer played collegiately at North Carolina, appearing in 43 games with 23 starts, totaling 93 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, seven sacks, three passes defensed and two blocked kicks.

In 2007, Balmer earned second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors after finishing the season with 59 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks.

Balmer attended Weldon (N.C.) High School, where he earned All-Area and All-Conference honors as a junior and senior. He was born on Oct. 15, 1986, in Weldon, N.C.

Johnson (6-1, 191) has played in 10 career games, all with the New York Giants, recording three tackles and six special teams tackles. He was originally signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent on April 27, 2009, before being waived on Sept. 5 and signing to the Broncos’ practice squad on Sept. 7. Johnson was signed by the Giants from the Broncos practice squad on Nov. 11, 2009. He played in the final three games of his rookie season, making his NFL debut on Dec. 21 against the Washington Redskins with two special teams tackles.

In 2010, Johnson appeared in seven games with the Giants, compiling four special teams tackles before being released on Nov. 22 and signing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ practice squad on Nov. 24. He was promoted to the Buccaneers’ 53-man roster on Dec. 8, where he remained for the rest of the season.

Johnson appeared in four preseason games for the Buccaneers in 2011 and had eight tackles (six solo) and one interception before being waived on Sept. 5. He was signed to the Minnesota Vikings’ practice squad on Sept. 7.

Johnson played collegiately at Missouri from 2004-06 before transferring to Jackson State. He played in 24 career games in two seasons at Jackson State where he totaled 66 tackles, 27 passes defensed and 10 interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns. He also added one forced fumble, one blocked kick and returned five kickoffs for 120 yards.

In 2008, Johnson was named second-team All-America by the Associated Press and first-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference after leading Jackson State and placing third in the conference with five interceptions, including returning one for a touchdown.

As a junior, Johnson started in 12 games, leading the team with five interceptions and was selected as the Defensive MVP of the 2007 SWAC Championship Game.

Johnson was born on Nov. 7, 1985, in Texas City, Texas. He attended La Marque (Texas) High School.

Byrd (6-3, 255) was signed on Oct. 26, 2011.

Scott (6-3, 310) was in his second season with the Redskins.

Stallworth (6-0, 220) was in his first season with the Redskins. He had five receptions for 46 yards in four games in 2011.

Thompson (5-10, 177) was selected by the Redskins in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft last April after having appeared in 49 games at Boise State.

Davis (5-10, 212) was signed to the Redskins’ practice squad on Oct. 25, 2011.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

Presumably Thompson will be back on the practice squad after he clears waivers.

Dudes like a fricking yo-yo. Which makes even less sense when the 4 corners outside the new guy don't have one amongst them based on form you'd trust.

Good to see Scott gone, as well as Stallworth, but a whole lot of reaching going on when we have guys we're developing at receiver, corner and DL who could well of been bumped up.

Hail.

Not at impressed with these roster moves.

I like the fact we dumped Dante Stallworth. Unfortunately, he was not going to make it here from day 1, and we wasted a roster spot on him.

Would have loved to see Brandon Banks being cut as well. Dude, is a one trick pony and hasn't impressed this season. There is no debating he is has lost a step if not more post knee injury. There isn't the burst of speed we saw in the past.

Would have preferred that the held on to Brandyn Thompson. The guy deserve an opportunity to show what he can do.

Would have loved to see Royster being promoted from PS.

And, us shoring up the OL. It would be great if we could find a stud RT, and cut Jammal Brown.

Not at impressed with these roster moves.

I like the fact we dumped Dante Stallworth. Unfortunately, he was not going to make it here from day 1, and we wasted a roster spot on him.

Would have loved to see Brandon Banks being cut as well. Dude, is a one trick pony and hasn't impressed this season. There is no debating he is has lost a step if not more post knee injury. There isn't the burst of speed we saw in the past.

Would have preferred that the held on to Brandyn Thompson. The guy deserve an opportunity to show what he can do.

And, us shoring up the OL. It would be great if we could find a stud RT, and cut Jammal Brown.

You're very picky.

Would have loved to see Royster being promoted from PS. And, us shoring up the OL. It would be great if we could find a stud RT, and cut Jammal Brown.

Pretty clear Royster isn't tearing it up in practice otherwise you'd figure he'd be promoted. If only stud RT's where floating out there on the waiver wire, be nice.

Three guys, all of them have been in the league for multiple years, and been cut by multiple teams, and two were on the street.

I don't want to be too negative because I've never paid any attention to any of them in a game that I remember, but I'm not impressed in terms of increasing long term potential.

You're very picky.

Man a lot of you guys ARE very picky.

These are pretty much nothing moves. The former first round pick Balmer is a little intriguing. But you don't have to worry about him, Jenkins will be back.

Say what you want about Jammal Brown, he's a starter. And any of you that expect any possibility of finding a 'stud RT' off waivers and cutting Jammal are just out of your minds.

And as for guys like Brandon Thompson. 'He deserves an opportunity' you say. Guess what, he got one. His young age doesn't get him suited up on Sunday. I don't know what some of you think this league is, but it's the ****ing National Football League. It's VERY hard to get on the field. You have to be REALLY good at football. Same goes for Royster. I guess you think Shanny's just looking at numbers and ages. He's not. He's spending hours watching these guys play football.

It's driving me up the wall, all this hollering about the last roster spot. Or even the last few. To be frank, those spots pretty much don't ****ing matter. There's 53 spots, only 45 suit up on Sunday, and the remaining 8 are alternated around all the time. You're hoping for a one in a million if you want the very last guy to come in and shine. Sure it's still a possibility (...you're saying there's a CHANCE) but it's simply unfair to the guys who have ALREADY earned their spots on the roster. Just because the team sucks and you're 22 years old you get to start over the 28 year old? You realize doing that is putting a guy out of a job right? You realize that guy might have a family to support, and a house to pay for right?

Matter of fact, the only guy I can think of that came from so far down the list..on/off the practice squad to end up in a starting role is our very own Brandon Banks.

Some of you are so in love with young guys just because their young..it's ridiculous. Please, calm down and think before getting upset about these (pretty much)-nothing roster moves.

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 09:15 PM ----------

Three guys, all of them have been in the league for multiple years, and been cut by multiple teams, and two were on the street.

I don't want to be too negative because I've never paid any attention to any of them in a game that I remember, but I'm not impressed in terms of increasing long term potential.

It's fine because these moves aren't meant to impress anyway. lol it's like we signed so many Haynesworth's and Taylor's that every time we hear the word 'SIGN', we freak out haha

I'm looking forward to seeing Royster one day as much as the next guy, but if Helu can handle the carries, it'd be insane to carry 4 RBs. We didn't even do that at the start of the season when Torain's health was in question and Helu had never even played a game.

And yeah, JB sucks, but this isn't free agency. We're not gonna find an instant starter-caliber guy sitting on a practice squad somewhere.

looks like to me they are clearing cap room for next year, hang the gloves up ladies and gents, this season his just been announced over!!

if they're really trying out guys for next year they need to put Grossman in. Guys who are trying out for their future deserve a real chance. And Beck is showing he doesn't belong in the league

looks like to me they are clearing cap room for next year, hang the gloves up ladies and gents, this season his just been announced over!!

Stallworth if a FA at the end of the year. There is no cap hit from letting him walk away. Samethign with Byrd. Scott's cap hit next year was 650,000.

That's not a whole lot of salary cap relief.

if they're really trying out guys for next year they need to put Grossman in. Guys who are trying out for their future deserve a real chance. And Beck is showing he doesn't belong in the league

and.. win games? i thought it had become obvious..

although i'm glad the media hasn't figured it out yet.. i must admit, this beck vs grossman talk grew old very fast.

how much longer till they notice the brightly colored dunk-tank at Redskins Park?

You do realize that they cleared the cap room since last year, right? These players are peanuts in salary.

Yeah, because the middle of the season is the perfect time to pick guys of the street for their future potential. :rolleyes:

No one should expect much from mid-season signings. Some of this is filling out depth. Some of this is kicking the tires, and like Byrd, may be gone in a week or two.

Yeah, because the middle of the season is the perfect time to pick guys of the street for their future potential. :rolleyes:

No one should expect much from mid-season signings. Some of this is filling out depth. Some of this is kicking the tires, and like Byrd, may be gone in a week or two.

Is there a bad time for a team that isn't good to work to be better in the future?

Archived