Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Playing in the Trenches (Part 2)

KDawg

On the last edition, I spoke entirely on my feelings on the importance of the offensive line. This time, I’m going to go more into technique and specifics regarding line play.

To start, I want to remind everyone that different coaches have different ways of doing things. But, they will all have carryover, with differences in basic philosophy.

The Stance

We’re going to start by talking about the stance. One of the things I notice when I watch a novice play on the line is that they are often not in the correct stance. By novice, I mean a first year high school player that had never played the game before.

One of the basic tenets of a line stance is the hand that’s down in the stance. Generally, if you’re a lineman that plays on the right hand side of the line, you put your right hand in the dirt. If you’re on the left side of the line, you put your left hand in the dirt.

The logical question here is: Why? It sets your post leg and kick leg. By definition, your post leg is the leg that’s up in your stance, which will be your inside leg.

So, for example, if you’re on the left side of the line, you offset your left foot back (some teams use a toe to instep relationship with the lineman inside of you. Others use a toe to heel relationship), your left hand goes down and your right leg is up in the stance.

This allows your kick leg (the back leg) to be more easily moved in pass protection and your post leg to be in better position to power step.

A kick step can be for depth or width, but it’s the technique used to defeat a speed rusher by a tackle, or a 3-tech (defender aligned on the outside shoulder of the offensive guard) attacking the B-Gap (B-Gap is the gap between the guard and tackle on the offensive line. The A-Gap would be between the center and guard. C-Gap would be outside the tackle and between the tight end). In these cases, the tackle would use more of a depth kick, keeping the defender on his outside shoulder. The guard would use more of a combo step, but probably a bit more for width. Those are both different versions of the kick. The power step is the opposite. It’s a step inside, using your post leg and “dragging lightly” the kick leg. It’s not a dead leg drag, but it should be scraping the grass as you move. In both versions, you must stay square to the line of scrimmage (shoulders parallel with the imaginary line that play is started on) and you must be delivering a punch. The other rule of thumb is that you should never drop the post leg behind the kick leg for any reason in the pass game. When you do that, it breaks one of my commandments of line blocking, ”Thou shalt not open thy floodgates”.

The key in either case is keeping your balance and being ready to redirect against a spin. An offensive lineman’s feet must always be “plugged in” to the ground and in constant motion. An OL should NEVER have both feet off the ground at the same time. Ever.

There are different versions within the quick pass game, the 3-step game, the 5-step game and the 7-step game. For instance, a tackle playing in the 5-step game knows that means the QB will take 5-steps prior to throwing the football. A quarterback taking five steps should move about 7-yards deep into the pocket. That means an offensive tackle must keep his kick step and shoulders square to the line of scrimmage for 7-yards. At 7-yards, he has successfully formed a pocket, and he now may turn his shoulders to block the end and maintain the integrity of the pocket.

There is much more to a stance than what hand you put on the ground. Some other basic points, without getting into too much detail is to have a proud chest, head up, eyes forward, power angles in the hips, knees and ankles and a squatter’s arch in the back.

Run Blocking

There are two main steps in the run game, no matter where you’re attacking or what level you’re attacking (1st level is the defensive line, 2nd level is the linebackers). The first step is the set up step. The set up step sets the angle of attack. It’s generally a short step, roughly four to six inches. It puts you on the pathway for who you’re attacking and sets your power angles so that you’re ready to explode into contact. If your target goes elsewhere and he’s passed off and no one else shows, it turns into a read step and allows you to get out to the second level. Once you get about two yards from your target linebacker, you go back to your set up step and set the angle. It’s like breaking down to tackle someone.

The second step is referred to as the attack step. This is where the violent offensive line punch occurs. You can’t attack on the first step, as it puts you off balance. An off balance offensive lineman is the dream of a defensive lineman. The punch doesn’t really have a whole lot to do with power, though it makes sense that the stronger you are the stronger the punch due to physics. But the punch is more about speed and timing. When punching, generally technique is to **** the wrist, keep the thumbs up, keep elbows inside, fire out towards the target, try to get your hands inside the defenders hands and drive THROUGH your aiming point. You cannot stop contact at the defender’s chest. You must fire through. I teach the hips to come through, others don’t. I like the hips rolled and underneath the shoulder pads at lockout on the block. I feel it allows the offensive player to get momentum to really move the defender forward. The danger in teaching to roll the hips is that the offensive lineman may stand up, rather than pop the hips. If that’s the case and the DL gets under him, he’s going to lose.

There are a lot of different attack points, depending on the play as well. Attack points meaning where you punch to depending on the play call and the alignment of the defender. For instance, your attack point could be both hands on the breastplate of the defender. Or it could one hand on the shoulder, the other on the breastplate. Or it could be the outside arm pit of the defender.

These are basic teaching points of the stance, the kick step and power step as well as the basic drive block. There is much more complex stuff involving the stance and the drive block. For the stance, there are certain positions the knees need to be in, where the off hand needs to be, how much “air” can be underneath the heel of a tackle in a pass set, etc. And the same can be said for the drive block. These are basic rules and basic scenarios. On a football field, these scenarios generally don’t happen exactly as described. A big part of being able to play on the line is the ability to “monitor and adjust”.

Last thing I want to add, that I feel is important for an offensive line. You need to instill accountability within the group. Even for things that are beyond their control. If a quarterback throws an interception and he had 5 seconds to throw, I want my lineman to hold themselves accountable. Meaning, maybe if they had given that quarterback six seconds, the pass would have been completed. That’s not to say I want the linemen blaming themselves for every mistake, but I want them to see how THEY could have played better. In my opinion, if an entire team evaluates performances like that, they will always continue evolving and getting better. The way I would convey that to my linemen would be simple, “Hey, you guys did a great job blocking that front and that blitz for five seconds. You gave the quarterback ample time. However, if we were able to hold our blocks for half a second longer, we may not have thrown that pick. The problem isn’t on you, but the solution could be. And there is never any harm in trying to be perfect, even if it’s a wild desire. Overall, though, great job on the play, but can we make it better? I think so.”

Generally, the line loves that challenge. “Yeah, we did well… But imagine if we dominated for another couple seconds. Let’s work on it!” is the general mentality I get from them. Those guys make me so proud to be their coach. It’s all a part of the philosophy for me. Anticipate, Devastate, Dominate.

Love the Chalk Talk posts you add KDawg. But let me ask you since you are a OL coach, why do you think opposing tackles are getting away with countless holds on Orakpo? Is it the position he puts himself in that forces the tackle arm up around his neck?

Well, I don't know. By definition its a hold. The only thing I can think of is that the OL seem to be keeping their hands inside while holding. And that may make it difficult to see the hold due to angles.

You really can hold as long as your hands stay inside. Once they start creeping to the outside of the shoulder you'll get flagged 9/10 times. That may have something to do with it. Or it may not. I see holds, but I have the benefit of a camera angle that allows me to :)

EDIT: It also has to do with separation. Rak seems to stay extremely close to the OL. If they have a hold of his uniform somehow, you won't see the material of the jersey stretch because Rak is in close. If he did more to separate, you may see more calls. That's really all I got :ols:

The Stance

An offensive lineman’s feet must always be “plugged in” to the ground and in constant motion. An OL should NEVER have both feet off the ground at the same time. Ever.

Ever? :) One time we were running a pass with a 7 step drop and no RB pass blocking. I was C and there was a 4 man front with me uncovered. At the snap I got into my pass pro stance and began scanning - no issues on the right side and the two DL on the left side were going for the inside gaps. So far so good, and the pocket was forned, though slightly indented on the left. Right then I saw two defenders (LB and S maybe?) blitzing in the now empty C gap. I slid over to get into position to block the closest one, but he was much faster than me and took a more outside route. Basically they were both about to get around me on the left so I turned and laid out in mid-air, catching both in the thighs. I was called for clipping, but when we watched the film it was obviously a clean block. It was also apparent that had I not done that, we'd have had a sack on the blindside. If I hadn't dived, there's no way I'd have taken those guys out. So, is this an acceptable exception to the rule? Or would you have me doing laps for that one?

Last thing I want to add, that I feel is important for an offensive line. You need to instill accountability within the group. Even for things that are beyond their control.

Generally, the line loves that challenge. “Yeah, we did well… But imagine if we dominated for another couple seconds. Let’s work on it!” is the general mentality I get from them. Those guys make me so proud to be their coach. It’s all a part of the philosophy for me. Anticipate, Devastate, Dominate.

I love this approach. I have a feeling you're a great OL coach. Great write-up. Thanks Coach!

Ever? :) One time we were running a pass with a 7 step drop and no RB pass blocking. I was C and there was a 4 man front with me uncovered. At the snap I got into my pass pro stance and began scanning - no issues on the right side and the two DL on the left side were going for the inside gaps. So far so good, and the pocket was forned, though slightly indented on the left. Right then I saw two defenders (LB and S maybe?) blitzing in the now empty C gap. I slid over to get into position to block the closest one, but he was much faster than me and took a more outside route. Basically they were both about to get around me on the left so I turned and laid out in mid-air, catching both in the thighs. I was called for clipping, but when we watched the film it was obviously a clean block. It was also apparent that had I not done that, we'd have had a sack on the blindside. If I hadn't dived, there's no way I'd have taken those guys out. So, is this an acceptable exception to the rule? Or would you have me doing laps for that one?

I'd call you over and say, "hey, slap nuts, why'd you dive?" Then I'm assuming you'd explain it to me... In which I'd reply with "Should you normally leave your feet?". I'd hope you'd answer "no." and I'd slap you on the helmet and say, "good heads up play kid".

I'd call you over and say, "hey, slap nuts, why'd you dive?" Then I'm assuming you'd explain it to me... In which I'd reply with "Should you normally leave your feet?". I'd hope you'd answer "no." and I'd slap you on the helmet and say, "good heads up play kid".

Slap nuts?!?!?!?! :ols: Classic.

Slap nuts?!?!?!?! :ols: Classic.

You'd love all of my nicknames then. I don't think I call any of our players their actual names (unless I'm yelling or I see them in school). They seem to like the nickname thing, too. But, of course I know all of their names.

I drop names such as "Lemon Drop", "Petunia", "Sugar Plum", etc.

Then my favorite names are the plays on their names. :)

We had one kid (not a lineman) called the wrong name on the announcements... (His name is Wiley... They said "Willy"). He is now Willy to me. He just shakes his head and laughs.

Great thread does the run blocking technique (in terms of steps) change pending on the run/scheme? For example, do the steps an offensive linemen make change on an outside stretch run (ZBS) versus a power scheme on a 50-gut (or some other inside power run).

Great thread does the run blocking technique (in terms of steps) change pending on the run/scheme? For example, do the steps an offensive linemen make change on an outside stretch run (ZBS) versus a power scheme on a 50-gut (or some other inside power run).

Absolutely they have different steps. I can get more into detail with it later, but don't have the opportunity now.

Absolutely they have different steps. I can get more into detail with it later, but don't have the opportunity now.

So I guess that is why most teams do one scheme over another. It would be way too many different techniques to remember otherwise. I know people talk about having both concepts but it appears that most teams are one or the other (in their majority).

So I guess that is why most teams do one scheme over another. It would be way too many different techniques to remember otherwise. I know people talk about having both concepts but it appears that most teams are one or the other (in their majority).

Eh. Teams are more mixed and matched than you think. Most teams employ a version of zone in their arsenal. Some are much more reliant on it than others, though.

Another question on stance - Do you ever evaluate your OL on stance by asking them to assume one, then sweeping their down arm? I had an OL coach who used to do that to newbies. Most would fall on their faces. I guess the idea was that you had sufficient balance to remain upright even when your arm was moved out from under you.

Will a subsequent installment or post include some of the specific roles and challenges associated with playing C? That would be interesting.

Another question on stance - Do you ever evaluate your OL on stance by asking them to assume one, then sweeping their down arm? I had an OL coach who used to do that to newbies. Most would fall on their faces. I guess the idea was that you had sufficient balance to remain upright even when your arm was moved out from under you.

Yes. I teach 20% of weight on the down hand, and your thumb should have air between it and the ground. If your thumb is down, its likely there's more weight forward.

Will a subsequent installment or post include some of the specific roles and challenges associated with playing C? That would be interesting.

I suppose I could do that :)

Awesome. Purely awesome. KDawg, you have no idea how much I envy your football knowledge. Thanks for another great read.

:notworthy

Just saw this. Nothing to envy. It's my field of choice. What I love. What I hang my hat on. I'm sure there's plenty everyone here knows that I have no idea about. But thanks for the kudos, BRD.

Well, I don't know. By definition its a hold. The only thing I can think of is that the OL seem to be keeping their hands inside while holding. And that may make it difficult to see the hold due to angles.

You really can hold as long as your hands stay inside. Once they start creeping to the outside of the shoulder you'll get flagged 9/10 times. That may have something to do with it. Or it may not. I see holds, but I have the benefit of a camera angle that allows me to :)

EDIT: It also has to do with separation. Rak seems to stay extremely close to the OL. If they have a hold of his uniform somehow, you won't see the material of the jersey stretch because Rak is in close. If he did more to separate, you may see more calls. That's really all I got :ols:

Offensive holding has been legal in the NFL since 1978 although officials can randomly call it when they want.

You'd love all of my nicknames then. I don't think I call any of our players their actual names (unless I'm yelling or I see them in school). They seem to like the nickname thing, too. But, of course I know all of their names.

I drop names such as "Lemon Drop", "Petunia", "Sugar Plum", etc.

Then my favorite names are the plays on their names. :)

We had one kid (not a lineman) called the wrong name on the announcements... (His name is Wiley... They said "Willy"). He is now Willy to me. He just shakes his head and laughs.

He doesn't play LB does he? :)

Archived