Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GHH laid totally bare with his fanhood on the line: Why it's best for our team to lose out the rest of the 2011 season.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

This is the main thing I hate about the NFL. We shouldn't have to wish for our team to lose in order to get a QB. I sorta wish we had a lottery like the NBA... then again, that has its disadvantages also since it can really depend on luck.

You don't have to wish your team to lose to get a QB. You have to wish your team to lose if you want your team to get the biggest player in the ESPN hype machine

You don't have to wish your team to lose to get a QB. You have to wish your team to lose if you want your team to get the biggest player in the ESPN hype machine

Have you watched Andrew Luck?

Have you seen how good he actually is?

It's not just hype. The guy is a baller.

Yes, I watched him Saturday night. And I didn't say it was "just hype". I said he is the biggest player in the ESPN hype machine.

Well, the way you used "hype machine" I thought you were actually knocking Luck as a prospect. For once, I think, ESPN has gotten it right. :)

Well, the way you used "hype machine" I thought you were actually knocking Luck as a prospect. For once, I think, ESPN has gotten it right. :)

Would you say that the ESPN hype machine has not contributed to this?

Assuming Luck is that much better than every other qb in the draft. Not just better. But in a completely different class all by himself. If this were basketball where one player COULD make that much of a difference then I would understand the premise of this thread. It just rarely works out this way in sports. Hell the Bulls gave up nothing to get Jordan and I bet Luck doesn't deliver 6 titles to any team he goes to. The Pats gave up nothing. Steelers nothing. Saints nothing. Packers drafted their guy near the end of the first round.

Assuming Luck is that much better than every other qb in the draft. Not just better. But in a completely different class all by himself. If this were basketball where one player COULD make that much of a difference then I would understand the premise of this thread. It just rarely works out this way in sports. Hell the Bulls gave up nothing to get Jordan and I bet Luck doesn't deliver 6 titles to any team he goes to. The Pats gave up nothing. Steelers nothing. Saints nothing. Packers drafted their guy near the end of the first round.

If you think this thread is all about Andrew Luck apparently you've totally missed the premise to begin with.

Hail.

No, I don't. I think Luck did it himself. A good QB masks a ton of deficiencies. Peyton Manning masks every problem the Colts have... By himself.

Now, Manning is the extremely rare exception. He's the Hope Diamond. But Luck can mask a lot of issues. He needs an offensive line, though.

The more I think about it, I'd guess that fans are more into getting Luck because they hear it talked about on ESPN (and every other football outlet). I get your point there, because most fans generally have no idea what they're looking at when they watch mechanics/play (That's not a knock on anyone, by the way. I know nothing about stars and worm holes :ols:). So in a way, I guess it has contributed.

But this thread isn't even about Luck. It's about a better pick.

After yesterday's "performance" I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to GHH for thinking he was completely wrong. 3-13 here we come!

*Chuckles ..... Meh, it's not about being right or wrong bud. It's about maximising our chances to get the very best man for the future of this franchise.

It just sucks that we're more than likely gona' have to suffer through the rest of this season to take two steps backward so we can begin to take one forward.

Hail.

I have to admit that, despite knowing deep down that losing out is what is best for this team long term, I still couldn't root for them to lose yesterday. I still cheered when, during the first 5 minutes, our guys were competing. But it didn't take long for reality to come crashing back down, and it was actually nice to be able to laugh at how pathetic this team has become. And I still believe we have a realistic shot at Luck, but if not, certainly one of the other premier QB prospects. And at least the Redskins won't ruin the holidays for me this year.

In two years we're 6-10 and 3-13 with nothing to build on.

Can't agree with that at all man.

We've a long, long way to go; but we've also coma a long, long way too. Everything needs to be taken in context into just what Shanahan and Allen inherited, If there was a bigger **** storm at the time, with a worse roster, I'd like to know of it. And that includes Miami, Oakland et all.

There's a lot been put in place to build on going forward. We just need better quality talent to compliment them, and a top class talent under center to make them believe.

Hail.

You are what your record is. If the Redskins do go 3-13, then they won't have come a long, long way. They will have gone in reverse.

I cant say were going backwords. This team had ZERO depth thanks to He should not be named. We have the depth right now. The main problem is that most of them are in starting positions they have no business they should be in. We still need starting caliber talent across the board.

If you think this thread is all about Andrew Luck apparently you've totally missed the premise to begin with.

Hail.

Who are you talking about here?

Next spring, there's two or three TOP prospects more than likely coming out of college. One of whom is almost Universally regarded as one of the best prospects to EVER enter the pro-game. I know, there's "no such thing as a guaranteed superstar QB. It's a risk not worth taking. We need to play safe and re-stock other needs first" blah blah blah. Well there's a risk with ANY player in the draft, at ANY position. And that hype surrounding that young man isn't unfounded. Even the most casual, novice football fan can see that from watching him play for just 10 minutes. Like the guy he's being compared to in Indianapolis, he's a complete game changer that would make this or any other franchise instantly better over night. (And please don't tell me Peyton's only got one SB under his belt. The Colts went from a complete National joke before landing him, to perennial divisional winners and SERIOUS SB contenders for a decade and more. Are you telling me you WOULDN'T want that? Even at a price? SERIOUSLY?).

Who are you talking about here?

Next spring, there's two or three TOP prospects more than likely coming out of college. One of whom is almost Universally regarded as one of the best prospects to EVER enter the pro-game. I know, there's "no such thing as a guaranteed superstar QB. It's a risk not worth taking. We need to play safe and re-stock other needs first" blah blah blah. Well there's a risk with ANY player in the draft, at ANY position. And that hype surrounding that young man isn't unfounded. Even the most casual, novice football fan can see that from watching him play for just 10 minutes. Like the guy he's being compared to in Indianapolis, he's a complete game changer that would make this or any other franchise instantly better over night. (And please don't tell me Peyton's only got one SB under his belt. The Colts went from a complete National joke before landing him, to perennial divisional winners and SERIOUS SB contenders for a decade and more. Are you telling me you WOULDN'T want that? Even at a price? SERIOUSLY?).

That's a small snippet of an OP that goes onto talk about there being, IMHO, 2 or 3 other top guys coming out who are a cut above the rest of the class (as the first line in that snippet suggests); and whom we'd be maximizing our chances of getting the higher we draft. All of which has been discussed and explained right through the thread.

Now I wouldn't expect yourself or anyone else to wade through nearly 50 pages and upwards of 700 posts. Just correcting your earlier post that suggested the premiss of the thread was all about being in a position to draft/ make a run at Andrew Luck. I took from that, rightly or wrongly, that you had it down as being akin to a 'Suck for Luck' thread, which it most certainly isn't.

It's all geared toward maximizing our chances of getting one of the very top talents available; as opposed to finishing around .500 and being stuck in our two decade cycle of mediocrity. Just good enough to keep interest there. Not bad enough to address the biggest need with the top calibre talent it deserves.

Hail.

Hey man we are one more game closer to the can't miss future super bowl champion! Wooohooooo. You are obviously in the "franchise quarterback" camp. We obviously need to tank the season to land the next Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees or Tom Brady or Roethlisberger

Another great contribution to the thread. And still misrepresenting my position, which is unsurprising. I've never said anything about tanking the season.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 02:38 PM ----------

No fan should want their team to lose games.

In your opinion, and in your small, boxed-in viewpoint of what a "fan" is.

Our team sucks, and is VERY injured. They're going to lose all on their own. I'm not going to be told by some schmuck that being okay with that, this season, makes me less of a fan, or not a fan at all. That's laughable.

Another great contribution to the thread. And still misrepresenting my position, which is unsurprising. I've never said anything about tanking the season.

It get's to the point where you get tired of reiterating what's been made perfectly clear time and again through this thread Conn man.

Both to people coming to the thread late, and those within it who just chose to be as ignorant and argumentative as possible and do both the OP's premiss and others views a complete disservice by continuing to either dismiss said views completely out of hand; or continuing to make little slights on those views and the posters making them as if the alternative is somehow a superior and proper view to take.

VERY tiresome indeed.

Hail.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 02:38 PM ----------

In your opinion, and in your small, boxed-in viewpoint of what a "fan" is.

Our team sucks, and is VERY injured. They're going to lose all on their own. I'm not going to be told by some schmuck that being okay with that, this season, makes me less of a fan, or not a fan at all. That's laughable.

Someone has a very high opinion of themselves.

I agree that this has become ridiculously repetitive and people continue to jump in without reading what's already been stated on numerous matters. I also see little value in continuing given the nature of the last few pages. With respect to all participants, I am going to close this and we can move on.

Archived