Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

fastandfuriousfootball.com: Site that shows playbooks, included link to Shanahans 1996 mini camp playbook

21MadFan

Along with what was said before, its a trade off. A basic philosophy is to drill the assignments into the players in practice so the players don't really have to think much on game day.

Sorry Hitman. You kind of covered this.

Its not just a question of learning all the assignments/routes/terminology its also being able to understand the adjustments needed based on what the defense do. For any given route called in the huddle there will be any number of adjustments based on the coverage, blitzes etc. A receiver has to be able to see the same coverage the QB sees and make the proper adjustment to be in the spot the QB expects.

Next time you see a QB throw the ball and there is not a receiver within 20 yards and you think 'what the heck" its almost certain the receiver and QB read the coverage differently and the receiver did not make the adjustment the QB expected. At the NFL level its not enough to be a great athlete, its not even enough to be a great athlete who understands his play book - you also need to be able to think and adjust.

Jesus. I don't think I could ever even begin to comprehend ANY of this madness. I mean I get the basic gist, ish, but the number of formations, the terminology, learning what you're supposed to do on every single play. It's pure insanity that guys have to keep this much stuff in their head at any given time.

I am thinking the opposite. Maybe things have gotten simpler with the advancement of the athlete and technology.

No, although the type of intelligence is very specialized and you may get a pass on other areas that most people don't. At every level of football, intelligence is even more important and that is a big reason why so many great HSers bust in college and great college players bust in the pros.

No, although the type of intelligence is very specialized and you may get a pass on other areas that most people don't. At every level of football, intelligence is even more important and that is a big reason why so many great HSers bust in college and great college players bust in the pros.

Makes sense.

If the Raiders playbook is anything like this, I'll be very impressed if Carson Palmer can learn it in less than a week and start on Sunday. I'm sure they'll give him only parts of it at first.

Palmer worked with Hue Jackson in Cinci, so I'm sure they will be on the same page. I doubt he'll have to digest all 700 pages of Saunders' playbook.

And these aren't including what the OL has to know. You want to talk about complicated, take a look at run blocking/protection schemes. They'll make your eyeballs bulge if you don't know what you're looking at.

Terminology is tough for people to get used to. Each coach has their own language :ols:

The terminology is a pain in the ass. The blocking schemes are less difficult to comprehend if you know some of the basic rules at play.

And depending on when Kyle joined the Texans..

03 Texan's Offense: http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/prooffense2/2003_Houston_Texans.pdf

That would have been Dom Capers' OC. Kubiak didn't take over until 2006 and Kyle showed up in 2008.

Its not just a question of learning all the assignments/routes/terminology its also being able to understand the adjustments needed based on what the defense do. For any given route called in the huddle there will be any number of adjustments based on the coverage, blitzes etc. A receiver has to be able to see the same coverage the QB sees and make the proper adjustment to be in the spot the QB expects.

Next time you see a QB throw the ball and there is not a receiver within 20 yards and you think 'what the heck" its almost certain the receiver and QB read the coverage differently and the receiver did not make the adjustment the QB expected. At the NFL level its not enough to be a great athlete, its not even enough to be a great athlete who understands his play book - you also need to be able to think and adjust.

They may have read the coverage differently but what they read and how they adjusted is based on what was drilled into their heads. Whoever misread the coverage failed to do what he was taught in practice.

You know, when you look at the individual detail; and you then look at P.Manning who his teammates will openly tell you knows where every player should be, and what his role in most every play is; it's hard to think that dudes not an absolute freak of nature who's gona' make one Hell of a coach if he so chose's.

Hail.

If he makes a great coach it will be because of his unreal work ethic. Knowing an offense through and through like that is decidedly less impressive when you consider how stable the Colts have been offensively up until this season.

They may have read the coverage differently but what they read and how they adjusted is based on what was drilled into their heads. Whoever misread the coverage failed to do what he was taught in practice.

It's about application of what you were taught. It's one thing knowing what you should do in certain situations, it's another recognizing the situation/coverage and making the proper adjustment with the lights on in a game.

This might be semantics to an extent but the higher the level of play the more physical ability is a given and it's football intelligence which separates those who make the grade and are productive and those who aren't. It's one of the reasons the draft s a crap shoot.

Jesus. I don't think I could ever even begin to comprehend ANY of this madness. I mean I get the basic gist, ish, but the number of formations, the terminology, learning what you're supposed to do on every single play. It's pure insanity that guys have to keep this much stuff in their head at any given time.

Just think...Peyton Manning knows practically the entire Colts playbook (hell, he probably designed some of it himself) and is able to adjust everything on the fly without thinking twice. If Luck can do that, too...

Hoo boy.

You know, when you look at the individual detail; and you then look at P.Manning who his teammates will openly tell you knows where every player should be, and what his role in most every play is; it's hard to think that dudes not an absolute freak of nature who's gona' make one Hell of a coach if he so chose's.

Hail.

Peyton Manning's post-career opportunities are limitless. On Saturday, he was in the booth with Verne Lunquist on CBS. The guy was reading defenses like it was nothing. He's going to make one hell of a color-analyst.

Peyton Manning's post-career opportunities are limitless. On Saturday, he was in the booth with Verne Lunquist on CBS. The guy was reading defenses like it was nothing. He's going to make one hell of a color-analyst.

Seriously, the dudes unreal. With his football intelligence, coupled with his God given talent; he's just about the most complete player there's ever been in any era. I was shaking my head reading Gary Bracket this past camp saying Peyton was on the sidelines watching the Colts practice, and he was advising the rooks on the defense what they were doing wrong and where they should be lined up.

He's a phenom when it comes to understanding every aspect of this game.

Hail.

It's about application of what you were taught. It's one thing knowing what you should do in certain situations, it's another recognizing the situation/coverage and making the proper adjustment with the lights on in a game.

This might be semantics to an extent but the higher the level of play the more physical ability is a given and it's football intelligence which separates those who make the grade and are productive and those who aren't. It's one of the reasons the draft s a crap shoot.

It is semantics. Probably should have used the term rules-based decision making versus judgment-based decision making as opposed to thinking. Making your decisions based on rules you learned in practice is one of the core elements of the Walsh philosophy for running an offense. BTW, this is also true for the coaches.

Archived