Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hail War Chief Obama

USS Redskins

I gotta give the guy credit. In 2008 I was sure he was going to be a disaster in the war on terror but after almost 3 years he has, among other things:

Continued the fight in Afghanistan - and put Petreus in charge and following his guide, should lead to a stable gov't and withdrawl in 2014. Plus killed thousands of terrorists

Pretty much closed out Iraq following established withdrawl timetables but held the line there too.

Ordered the kill of Bin Laden

Ordered the kill of Zakawri (sorry for spelling) just recently

Established secret panel to decide kill targets

Supported Libyan rebellion by ordering drone and air strikes plus on site advisors

I truly want to give the President credit.

He has established himself as one of the great war time presidents. Not at all what he campaigned on, won a peace prize for or apologized on behalf of this country for in 2009.

The naive 2008 candidate Obama has turned into a great foreign affairs leader in the fight on terror.

I still like my neighbor's reaction to Libya news last night.

"Greetings from Pan Am 103"

It's one of those situations where I differ from many on the left. I prefer a fighting for a decision point rather than allow fighting for generations, even if it means more blood up front.

This is why i give people a hard time about: Qualified Presidential Candidates?

President Obama had 2 nickels to his name on foreign policy and has come out the Guru of the last 20 years.

Bush shocked everyone on his African Aids campaign that saved millions.

you never know what your going to get.

- Withdrawing from Iraq, increased focus on Afghanistan, targeting terrorists, making Bin Laden a top priority is pretty much exactly what he campaigned on.

- "Secret panel" is a loaded, inaccurate term. The White House sought input from a group of Justice Department attorneys on the legality of targeting Anwar al-Awlaki. It wasn't secret to those with security clearance and a need to know.

- "Apology tour" is Fox News/Free Republic-speak. Others saw it differently.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

Shutting down Iraq, increased focus on Afghanistan, targeting terrorists, making Bin Laden a top priority is pretty much exactly what he campaigned on.

- "Secret panel" is a loaded, inaccurate term. The White House sought input from a group of Justice Department attorneys on the legality of targeting Anwar al-Awlaki. It wasn't secret to those with security clearance and a need to know.

- "Apology tour" is Fox News/Free Republic-speak. Others saw it differently.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

what do you mean by "shutting down Iraq"?

He has certainly pleasantly exceeded my expectations in the WOT.

His politics and FP issues are another matter,but nobody's perfect.

I never knew all it would take to stop the creating terrorists meme was bad mouthing the US and winning a Nobel peace prize.:)

S'ok, I think I had understood what you meant initially. I'm more on the point that we still have plenty of troops in Iraq despite his claims and promises.
I talked to Barak about your post, so...

Obama Announces Full American Troop Withdrawal From Iraq

October 21, 2011 - Yahoo News Blog

President Obama announced a nearly complete withdrawal of American military forces from Iraq by the end of the year during a press conference Friday afternoon.

"Today, I can report that as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home from Iraq at the end of this year," Obama said. "After nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over. Over the next two months our troops in Iraq--tens of thousands of them--will pack up their gear and board convoys for the journey home."

Obama also affirmed that he has been in talks with Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and that the government was in agreement with the drawdown.

"We are in full agreement about how to move forward," Obama said said.

Although it was extended several times, the timeline was originally drafted under former President Bush and was a top policy initiative when Obama was campaigning to be president in 2007 and 2008.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-announce-full-troop-drawdown-iraq-164843571.html

Obama Announces Full American Troop Withdrawal From Iraq

October 21, 2011 - Yahoo News Blog

President Obama announced a nearly complete withdrawal of American military forces from Iraq by the end of the year during a press conference Friday afternoon.

"Today, I can report that as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home from Iraq at the end of this year," Obama said. "After nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over. Over the next two months our troops in Iraq--tens of thousands of them--will pack up their gear and board convoys for the journey home."

Obama also affirmed that he has been in talks with Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and that the government was in agreement with the drawdown.

"We are in full agreement about how to move forward," Obama said said.

Although it was extended several times, the timeline was originally drafted under former President Bush and was a top policy initiative when Obama was campaigning to be president in 2007 and 2008.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-announce-full-troop-drawdown-iraq-164843571.html

Just saw the thread! Great news! Albeit a little late.

Obama never campaigned on Peace. He was always pro War. It was on his website and I'll never understand where that notion came from.

People project. They don't listen. They're ****ing idiots.

And that definitely includes liberals. I went to the Inauguration and it was blowing my mind what people were saying. It was like nobody listened to anything the man had to say about what he wanted to do as president. Conservatives (or whatever they are) are the complete opposite but in the same boat. They didn't listen, they projected--just in a negative, horrifying (to them) way.

Who would have guessed a few years ago that this guy with no foreign policy past had more chops than Team-Cheney and their 3 decades of "experience"?

Probably says a lot about being pragmatic and when saying we're listing to "Generals", actually listening and not trying to squeeze what they say under some ideological concept.

However, I'd rather have the 800 billion back at this time of economy crisis.

Per the article, "nearly complete" means 160 soldiers stationed at the U.S. Embassy. Not much wiggle.

a earlier in depth article said some would remain for training and liaison....I never trust a short article

but these things are fluid by nature and subject to change if a SOFA is reached

a earlier in depth article said some would remain for training and liaison....I never trust a short article

Correct if I'm wrong twa, but I believe that option was on the table at one point and has been shot down. I think it was formally decided all but the embassy guards would be pulled on or before 12/31/11.

As a result, the only U.S. military presence that will remain in Iraq after the end of the year will be the roughly 150 troops needed to protect the large U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad and its thousands of American diplomats and other personnel, as well as provide training related to new military sales and other tasks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/all-us-troops-to-leave-iraq/2011/10/21/gIQAUyJi3L_story.html?hpid=z1

Looks as though the 150 number includes the personnel who are going to be doing the training.

But, as you say, a new agreement would alter this on the spot.

Archived