Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: San Francisco Restaurants Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate

China

If he doesn't go out then that's a table that sits empty and even the 10% stays out of the waitress' pocket.

or if he goes out when the restaurant is busy then he just wasted 45 minutes of the server's time and possibly screwed them out of a better table

and gratuity can always be argued off. If your bill has an added gratuity, the server knows that a customer is much more likely to complain if service was poor. the gratuity can be an incentive for the waiter to do well, and from experience most waiters who add gratuity to a large party work their butts off, the assumption most will slack if the tip is guaranteed is purely an assumption and I didn't see evidence of such when I was in that field.

and gratuity can always be argued off. If your bill has an added gratuity, the server knows that a customer is much more likely to complain if service was poor. the gratuity can be an incentive for the waiter to do well, and from experience most waiters who add gratuity to a large party work their butts off, the assumption most will slack if the tip is guaranteed is purely an assumption and I didn't see evidence of such when I was in that field.

i know some people didnt work as hard on parties where grat was automatically added, but most servers will work extra hard to get grat and then some.

however, i do think that if the grat becomes standard, people would eventually stop overtipping the gratuity, and service would decline because the grat is guaranteed.

the standard 10 percent tip.

Where exactly did that standard come from? I feel bad for your servers.

As someone who always looks for excuses to tip generously, I do not agree with raising the standard tip amount. I think that eventually it will reduce the amount of great tips if people just get used to it being computed on the bill and not expected to do it anymore. I'm sure some people will go out of their way to tip more anyways, but a lot will not even think twice about it.

I almost never leave a tip.

Typically I would tell the manager he/she was a great waiter and they should be lucky to have them as a employee. On the table I'll leave a bible verse.

Did you guys hear that? It was the sound of KB13's head exploding.

Nice joke though man.

This is how my bar operates and I have full backing of my owner and GM. From the tone of your post, I doubt we'd really care for you being there anyhow, but we'd enjoy the laugh.

You weren't addressing me but I'm going to comment on this anyway...

If your bar specifically laughs at customers, would turn them away for not being great tippers, etc. then that's great for you (the bartender) but probably is the exception, not the rule. More often than not, bar owners/GMs are looking to make money so they aren't going to side with a bartender who ignores a subset of their customer base. Again, great situation for you and customers should be tipping SOMETHING, but I don't think your experience is indicative of the industry as a whole.

What is that?

A Chick Tract...oh man those are classics, pure fundamentalist mini cartoon books about how God is gonna git ya!

Sometimes when I go to a bar I'll pretend I'm McD5 and leave the bartender my can't miss stock tip of the week.

Dang I only do that if I find a hair or spit in my food.

On a side note, what do you want to be that McD5 doesn't tell his clients that he's a member here. :ols:

What is that?

:boggle: You haven't experienced the wonders that are Chick tracts?

Oh son, I feel for you. You need to do some research, then start giving them out. I suggest you start with the little Trick or Treaters that come to your door in a couple of weeks.

Here's one to get you started. It proves that evolution is a lie:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0055/0055_01.asp

And here's a good one showing that Catholics are all going to hell

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0082/0082_01.asp

And this one proves that playing Dungeons and Dragons makes you a devil worshiper

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

What waiter wouldn't value his immortal soul over filthy, earthly cash?

not to derail the thread, but I hope those "chick tracts" aren't officially backed by Christian churches in any official capacity.

What are you talking about? ASF makes the members of his congregation tithe ten thousand Chick tracts every year, and they have to volunteer the whole family to pass them out at airports and bus stations 3 evenings a week.

What are you talking about? ASF makes the members of his congregation tithe ten thousand Chick tracts every year, and they have to volunteer the whole family to pass them out at airports and bus stations 3 evenings a week.

Yeah, we get beat up a lot....persecuted for Jesus baby!

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 03:55 PM ----------

not to derail the thread, but I hope those "chick tracts" aren't officially backed by Christian churches in any official capacity.

Are you kidding, those things used to be standard fare in many conservative and fundamentalist churches, I haven't seen them much anymore, but then I'm in one of those librawl denominations now.

First of all, I find them humorous so it's not anything like that.

The easiest way to make my point is to take the "All Catholics are going to hell" one...

I think it's very hypocritical of a Christian religion to generate propaganda like that of another Christian religion (hell of any religion). Also, I find it VERY presumptuous that they just assume that the "judgement process" goes like that, and they portray God as they do. (Just a personal opinion, please don't try to justify it with any religious beliefs.)

It's not about what religion is "right" or anything like that, it just seems to go against Christian principles to try to "save" someone with this kind of propaganda.

*just my opinion. if someone's church wants to hand them out, that's fine by me. that's why we have the freedoms we do in this country.

First of all, I find them humorous so it's not anything like that.

The easiest way to make my point is to take the "All Catholics are going to hell" one...

I think it's very hypocritical of a Christian religion to generate propaganda like that of another Christian religion (hell of any religion). Also, I find it VERY presumptuous that they just assume that the "judgement process" goes like that, and they portray God as they do. (Just a personal opinion, please don't try to justify it with any religious beliefs.)

It's not about what religion is "right" or anything like that, it just seems to go against Christian principles to try to "save" someone with this kind of propaganda.

*just my opinion. if someone's church wants to hand them out, that's fine by me. that's why we have the freedoms we do in this country.

Yeah, the major problem I have with Chick Tracts are, like you said, the presumptuous way they portray a lot of biblical and spiritual things in general. Also, they tend to have a lot of straw men arguments (see the evolution tract), and are sometimes just completely ignorant (D&D). What's worse though, in my opinion, is they become just ANOTHER barrier between a lot of Christians and the people around them. Instead of actually talking to somebody and getting to know them, it seems like those who hand out Chick Tracts do so as a substitute for a real conversation with substance. Because, God forbid, we get to KNOW people outside our little circle of Christian friends.

EDIT: Real talk. And keeping with the topic... Leaving a Chick Tract instead of a tip is just evil.

Give me a break, will ya? I'm a college student, for Pete's sake. Do you REALLY think I'm rolling in dough? I like going out with my friends from time to time at the end of the week. Hell, I usually just get water and an appetizer. I either let them keep the change or give them ten percent. I was taught 10 percent is the base minimum tip.

Yeah, the major problem I have with Chick Tracts are, like you said, the presumptuous way they portray a lot of biblical and spiritual things in general. Also, they tend to have a lot of straw men arguments (see the evolution tract), and are sometimes just completely ignorant (D&D). What's worse though, in my opinion, is they become just ANOTHER barrier between a lot of Christians and the people around them. Instead of actually talking to somebody and getting to know them, it seems like those who hand out Chick Tracts do so as a substitute for a real conversation with substance. Because, God forbid, we get to KNOW people outside our little circle of Christian friends.

EDIT: Real talk. And keeping with the topic... Leaving a Chick Tract instead of a tip is just evil.

i tend to think that most people see those tracts as speculative of other people, without actually knowing them. id think its best just to let Jesus' Word do the talking.

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

Give me a break, will ya? I'm a college student, for Pete's sake. Do you REALLY think I'm rolling in dough? I like going out with my friends from time to time at the end of the week. Hell, I usually just get water and an appetizer. I either let them keep the change or give them ten percent. I was taught 10 percent is the base minimum tip.

18 percent is the standard. it goes down a bit the further south you go.

but 10% is what is was years ago. things have changed.

Well, see, I was only lectured on tipping once and that was (oddly enough) when I was, like, 11, so that was 2002. My dad, sister and I went out to the Ruby Tuesday's at the Landmark Mall in Fairfax County and we taught us about the 10-15-20 rule (10 percent being basic, 15 for good, 20 for excellent).

Someone needs to get me updated!

Archived