Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: Eagles vs. Redskins: 5 Reasons the Eagles will Roll on Sunday

Dub70s

1 and 3 are things only the philly coaches and players would know- certainly not some armchair sportswriter tool on BR. 4 is a total guess- translation "philly will stop making the mistakes they have made all season because **** the redskins and i cant think of anything else." 2 and 5 combine into the famous LOLOLOL Vick vs. Grossman despite Grossman arguably having a better year. And he doubts that Grossman can keep doing what he's doing? He's been par for the course so far, exactly what we expected and exactly how he's been for his whole career. There's no reason to think he will get worse, other than being a garbage sports analyst.

Two points the article makes, if valid, are scary:

- The Eagles ditched their "wide 9" defense in the second half last week, after finally realizing they don't have the personnel for it. They'll do the same vs the Skins

- Asomugha will be 1-on-1 with Santana Moss this weekend... no more zone coverage for him.

Yikes.

So, if I can summarize their reasoning, here, their five reasons are:

5) I know Rex Grossman has played rather well this year, but I'm sure this week will be different.

4) I know the Eagles have been giving the ball to the other team a lot, but I'm sure this week will be different.

3) I know Nmadi hasn't been doing well for this team, but I'm sure this week will be different.

2) Michael Vick is Chuck Norris, and nothing has changed, for the Redskins or the Eagles, since a year ago, when Vick had the best game of his career, and I'm sure that this week will be exactly the same.

1) I know that our D has been surrendering huge chunks of ground over the middle, but I'm sure this week will be different.

The BR guy could have done a better job selling the Eagles even though ironically that was his objective. A better way IMO to sell this is: After a good start, Rex has regressed with each game and just struggled against one of the worst defenses in the league, some say he struggles with pressure, and despite the Eagles defensive deficiencies, pressure is what they do very well. The eagles have been in every game, and statistically are one of the most explosive offenses in the league but have imploded with dumb turnovers, if they can minimize them, if should go a long way, and they have the skins number at Fedex winning 8 out of the last 10. I think that has some truth to it and is a more compelling sell. He totally lost me with the line about how the defense couldn't stop Vick last year, and he doesn't see any changes with the current defense. He clearly has no clue about this team if he believes that.

It is Bleacher report ....enough said

Did you notice he did not mention Skins Defense at all....................The dude is a moron

Actually he did. He said he hasn't noticed anything different from this year and last. What a maroon!!! What a ta-ra-ra-boom-dee-ay!!!!

In reading that nonsense, the thought comes to mind that that columnist is probably a Eagles fan. You can tell he's not a professional because he didn't mention the Redskins top five ranked defense not even once. All he talked about was Philly. I noticed also that when columinst mention Rex Grossman they expound upon the negative things only. They don't mention that Rex Grossman has more TD passes than INts.

In reading that nonsense, the thought comes to mind that that columnist is probably a Eagles fan. You can tell he's not a professional because he didn't mention the Redskins top five ranked defense not even once. All he talked about was Philly. I noticed also that when columinst mention Rex Grossman they expound upon the negative things only. They don't mention that Rex Grossman has more TD passes than INts.

Like or not like Rex, its not hard to make a case against him this year. He has more turnovers than TDs, he is towards the bottom end of the league, he's 24th in QB rating, and he just came off of a statistically poor game against one of the worst defenses in the league. He's arguably regressed with each game. You can make a case for him, too. But I think this guy is making a clunky argument.

I am a U. of Miami, FL alumni so I'm a Miami Hurricane. I grew up in the Philadelphia area and have always been a huge sports fan. I am a fan of all Philadelphia teams first and foremost.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/13/flyers-fans-boo-sidney-crosby-cancer_n_1008962.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk2%7C104108

Sports fans in Philadelphia have a bit of a reputation. It's a fan base perhaps best known for hurling snowballs at Santa Claus and booing injured opposing players. It also may have just one upped itself. Or, better yet, one lowered itself.

During a stoppage of play in last night's game between the Canucks and the Flyers in Philadelphia, an advertisement was shown to the fans in attendance to solicit donations to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. And the fans in attendance responded by booing... The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

This is precisely why I love ES. It's hard enough to find comedic gold like this all on my own... but even if I did I wouldn't have you guys to make fun of it with.

About the article though, the author lost me when he said something to the tune of "The Eagles are better than the Redskins on both sides of the ball." Seems like our author friend thinks looking at Madden 12 ratings is considered research.

OK we all had our fun trashing Bleacher Report. BUT statistically the turnover numbers will revert to norm. AND how often do you expect pick-6s on INTs? With all of their mistakes the Eagles only lost to the Bills by 7. Eagles have enough offensive firepower to overcome their mistakes. We do not. I just hope that they continue to mis-fire at least for one more game. But that hope is a crap-shoot. If we play the Eagles like we did against the Cowboys and second half against the Rams, we will lose. I fear this team and this game.

(BTW I am a season ticket holder since 1979 and a Skins fan since Norm Snead was our QB.)

In the immortal words of The Who (to paraphrase) I do not want to get fooled again. It is time to prove it on the field against a good team that is desperate. Are we contenders or pretenders?

HTTR

The writers for the Bleacher Report articles often make poor arguments, but most of the counter-arguments in this thread are just as bad.

The fact that it is a BR article is not relevant at all, nor is the likelihood that the article was written by an Eagles fan. If what he says is logically and factually sound then the source of the article and the author's biases don't matter in the least. So, attack the author's argument if you can.

The writers for the Bleacher Report articles often make poor arguments, but most of the counter-arguments in this thread are just as bad.

The fact that it is a BR article is not relevant at all, nor is the likelihood that the article was written by an Eagles fan. If what he says is logically and factually sound then the source of the article and the author's biases don't matter in the least. So, attack the author's argument if you can.

And sometimes they are such a steaming load that they don't even deserve the validation of a genuine rebuttal.

Very true.

I'd prefer that the steaming loads aren't glorified with a thread of their own, but that's a different matter.

A valid point but be honest, wouldn't you rather see the hope this season than more of the despair we've had so much of in the past? There is a huge reservoir of pent up fannishness that has been just dying to get out.

A valid point but be honest, wouldn't you rather see the hope this season than more of the despair we've had so much of in the past? There is a huge reservoir of pent up fannishness that has been just dying to get out.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that the anti-Skins steaming load articles are thread worthy because they offer punching bags for the frustrated Skins fan even if they don't add intelligent discussion or debate?

Archived