Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Social Issues will make Barack Obama get Re-elected

ThePreciating

The Republicans should have this locked up. The economy sucks. The unemployment rate is terrible. The deficit is appalling.

Yet, for some reason, the Republicans hitch their wagon to the most lost of causes.

1. Roe v Wade - it's NEVER getting overturned. Get over it. Most people don't want it overturned.

2. Gay Marriage - look at the tides. gay marriage is going to be a part of the future. you cannot tell me it's somehow bad for the country or bad for your marriage to let two gay people who are in love get married.

3. Don't Ask, Don't Tell - this is the United States. Freedom of Speech is held above almost everything else. most people would say it's unconstitutional for the us government to tell a soldier that he may not speak about his sexuality. flies right in the face of everything american.

why don't Republicans try to win on the real issues like the economy? as long as they hold backward, antiquated viewpoints about the above items, they'll continue to struggle against clearly failing leaders.

1. Roe v Wade - it's NEVER getting overturned. Get over it. Most people don't want it overturned.

It all depends on the Supreme Court. While people control who is in office, it doesn't mean that the person who gets appointed will follow "what the people want"

2. Gay Marriage - look at the tides. gay marriage is going to be a part of the future. you cannot tell me it's somehow bad for the country or bad for your marriage to let two gay people who are in love get married.

Hell they deserve every right to as miserable as I was.

3. Don't Ask, Don't Tell - this is the United States. Freedom of Speech is held above almost everything else. most people would say it's unconstitutional for the us government to tell a soldier that he may not speak about his sexuality. flies right in the face of everything american.

Don't ask don't tell had nothing to do with free speech and everything to do with gays being in the military. Gays had the right say they were gay when serving, but they knew there would be a penalty to it. It's no different than the top General in Afganistan being public about his disagreement with the Presidential policies and losing his job. Which did happen.

For the record, not all conservative republicans are tea baggers or one of those nut jobs. Most of us think they are nut jobs too. You give me a moderate conservative republican to vote for and he will get my vote. Colin Powell would have made a great President in my opinion.

It all depends on the Supreme Court. While people control who is in office, it doesn't mean that the person who gets appointed will follow "what the people want"

There's too much precedent now. It's been backed up too many times to be backed away from now, even on a far-right court.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

But, it's refreshing to hear a reasonable Republican. It's a shame that FoxNews is allowed to be the voice of the party.

I'm a Democrat obviously, but I don't hold my party blameless by any means.

I'm not sure if it will be social issues that get Obama re-elected (though they could help). I think it would be due more to the perception that the Republican party is fighting for the very rich, while leaving everybody else behind. Obama's challenge will be to paint the GOP as the party that has blocked progress, which is difficult, but doable considering the abysmal approval ratings of Congress right now.

The changing demographics in this country also helps him. Everyday this country gets a little more diverse. Obama will not need as much of the white vote in 2012 as he did in 2008. Plus you have younger, more liberal voters becoming of voter age as older, more conservative voters die off. This is helpful at the margins, which is important in what will almost certainly be a close election.

why don't Republicans try to win on the real issues like the economy? as long as they hold backward, antiquated viewpoints about the above items, they'll continue to struggle against clearly failing leaders.

Well... because the Republicans also have backward, antiquated viewpoints on the economy. :)

And it was those viewpoints that got us in the hole that we are in right now.

Well... because the Republicans also have backward, antiquated viewpoints on the economy. :)

And it was those viewpoints that got us in the hole that we are in right now.

I actually agree with you on this, but Obama had two years to railroad anything he wanted through Congress, and he didn't take the opportunity. That's why the Republicans have a leg to stand on despite their obstructionist ways.

Saw Judson Phillips from the Tea Party Nation on TV today saying they wouldn't be supporting Romney...and that he wasn't really the front runner....and that Newt was coming on strong.

If its a Romney ticket.......that might be all Obama needs for these guys to run their own candidate....or just sit this one out.

I actually agree with you on this, but Obama had two years to railroad anything he wanted through Congress, and he didn't take the opportunity. That's why the Republicans have a leg to stand on despite their obstructionist ways.

Oh, I agree that Obama has not done what I would want him to do.

I'm also not sure that it would have made that much of a difference if he had. Our present economic problems were a long time coming, and they just won't go away overnight (and 2 years is "overnight' in economic terms). Look at Europe - did Obama wreck all of those economies too, or is he responsible for not fixing them as well? Or are there things going on that are bigger than presidential power alone?

If the Republicans pick anyone other than Romney, they can kiss the independent vote goodbye. Their best bet after Romney is Ron Paul.

Herman Cain's 9,9,9 sounds good, until you realize that you'd be paying 17.5% sales tax in california. Might as well keep the income tax at that point!

Saw Judson Phillips from the Tea Party Nation on TV today saying they wouldn't be supporting Romney...and that he wasn't really the front runner....and that Newt was coming on strong.

If its a Romney ticket.......that might be all Obama needs for these guys to run their own candidate....or just sit this one out.

Meh, they always say that inbetween elections. Studies show that the Tea Parties are overwhelmingly made up of the most reliable GOP voters in the country. People who have voted Republican their entire lives. They will grouse and complain (especially if their self-appointed leaders like Phillips want to remain relevant as long as possible), but the Tea Perty voters will be fully co-opted by the time the election rolls around. Whoever the candidate is, they will come out to vote GOP like they always have done, their entire lives.

Obama's biggest plus in this election is that at the national level the Republican leaders and the party as a whole are polling worse than he is (and in most cases significantly worse than him). His reelection campaign to certain extent is elect me or the crazies will have even more control/power (i.e. Romney or whoever won't be able to stand up the extreme right well).

This election is going to be about turn out most likely. How well can you get people that hate the other guy to come out and vote against them.

Obama's biggest plus in this election is that at the national level the Republican leaders and the party as a whole are polling worse than he is (and in most cases significantly worse than him). His reelection campaign to certain extent is elect me or the crazies will have even more control/power (i.e. Romney or whoever won't be able to stand up the extreme right well).

This election is going to be about turn out most likely. How well can you get people that hate the other guy to come out and vote against them.

Which if that's the case....GOP overwhelmingly has the advantage. If the economy and general world issues stay the way they are, there's no way social issues dominate this election cycle.

I sense that next few years are going to be very sad/interesting for America and our politics. Its no secret that the country has been on a big downswing for several years.

I'm kinda waiting to see if **** hits the fan. Or maybe im too young and this is nothing new, but it does seem like now more than ever everyone is pissed off at the gov't and there doesn't seem to be any solution at all. No confidence on either side.

Meh, they always say that inbetween elections. Studies show that the Tea Parties are overwhelmingly made up of the most reliable GOP voters in the country. People who have voted Republican their entire lives. They will grouse and complain (especially if their self-appointed leaders like Phillips want to remain relevant as long as possible), but the Tea Perty voters will be fully co-opted by the time the election rolls around. Whoever the candidate is, they will come out to vote GOP like they always have done, their entire lives.

In addition, don't discount the rabid personal hatred the far right (or even medium right) has for Obama. I think most of the Tea Party people will still vote but it will be a vote against Obama as opposed to a vote for whatever GOP candidate manages to make it to the big stage.

Which if that's the case....GOP overwhelmingly has the advantage. If the economy and general world issues stay the way they are, there's no way social issues dominate this election cycle.

But people don't like the Republicans for economic issues either. It isn't just the social issues that drive the dislike. Trickle down economics and tax breaks for big companies are as unpopular as over turning Roe v. Wade.

I don't see Obama winning this, his polling is worse, his fundraising is worse, turn out is worse. No one is excited about hope and change. That is what got him elected. He can't sell the hope and change thing and he can't run against Bush. He also has his own track record which is very unimpressive. I can see Romney taking it.

If the Republicans pick anyone other than Romney, they can kiss the independent vote goodbye. Their best bet after Romney is Ron Paul.

Herman Cain's 9,9,9 sounds good, until you realize that you'd be paying 17.5% sales tax in california. Might as well keep the income tax at that point!

I think Huntsman is a moderate that can get the the independent vote.

If you think the 2012 election will be about abortion and gay marriage, you're not paying attention at all. It's the economy, stupid.

I'm really concerned about the growing economic unrest. When the dollar collapses and loses its world reserve status (and it will), I fear all hell is going to break loose. The only reason our economy seems somewhat sustainable at this point is because our ability to purchase goods isn't dependent on our economic output. We just print the money up because we own the reserve printing presses. But those days are coming to an end soon if you see what's going on with BRICS. I'm pretty sure a bovine named Petunia would landslide Obama.

If only there was a candidate that preached sound money, fiscal restraint, constitutional adherence, and ending the pursuit of empire that has bankrupted the next 10 generations...........oh wait, there is somebody.

Unfortunately, such ideas are considered lunacy and the American people won't wake up to the fact that both parties are war mongers spending us into oblivion until the collapse comes. I genuinely fear for the future and I don't think it quite matters who's elected. Meanwhile, we're too busy bickering over which party sucks worse.

Archived