Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tim Tebow Named Broncos Starter

Dan T.

Tim Tebow has been named the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos in their upcoming game at the Miami Dolphins. Denver Coach John Fox made it official on Tuesday.

I'm no big Tim Tebow fan, but I really would like to see him silence the chorus of naysayers who, from way before he was even drafted, declared that he would never make it as an NFL quarterback. He's not your typical QB, that's for sure. But it will be interesting to see whether John Fox can develop an offensive strategy that plays to Tebow's strengths. The Broncos have a bye this week, so coaches have extra time to cook up a gameplan against the Dolphins.

One other interesting note... by coincidence, the Dolphins will be honoring the Florida Gators' 2008 championship team on Sunday. The starting QB on that team just happened to be Tim Tebow.

Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19093317

I think a lot of the criticism that has been heaped upon Tebow by the main stream press has more to do with his outspokenness as an evangelical christian and his stance on abortion more so than his skills as an athlete. Now at least we are all going to get a chance to see if Tebow can develop into a decent NFL caliber QB and prove all his naysayers wrong.

Its very simple, here's what they need to do in terms of play calling- you run the ball on 1st down early in the game try to pick up 5-6, then have Tebow throwing a ****load of rollouts on 2nd and 3rd down. Give him running space, let him work on the move. I don't think he's an NFL caliber quarterback but hey, they used a high draft pick on the guy for a reason, they may as well let him play and play to his strengths. Keep tights ends in crossing routes, send someone deep half the plays when he rolls out and see if he can freeze the safety and throw a deep ball. Just give the guy a chance, I know he was the last regime's pick and now he's their problem, but I always hate it when bad teams who aren't going anywhere soon keep a top draft choice on the bench because he's "not ready". Like the player is going to learn more by never playing any snaps in the NFL than he would if he goes out and learns from the real thing. I'm not saying to throw the guy to the wolves or anything but at least find out what the hell you have.

Successful quarterbacking is about skill and, more importantly, skill acquisition. The latter is made by a combination of work ethic and "intelligence"(NOT "do you know?", but rather "can you figure it out?").

Also, Tebow's leadership is very well-known. The guys makes the other players become more productive. That is a bonus many a coach would kill for.

I think a lot of the criticism that has been heaped upon Tebow by the main stream press has more to do with his outspokenness as an evangelical christian and his stance on abortion more so than his skills as an athlete. Now at least we are all going to get a chance to see if Tebow can develop into a decent NFL caliber QB and prove all his naysayers wrong.

I think that's crap. I think most of the criticism has to do with his crappy delivery. I think the evangelicals are the ones playing that angle up. They made a big deal when he got hazed just like all the other Bronco rookies. Personally I think he's handled everything pretty well but I still don't think he'll be accurate enough to be a starter in the NFL.

I think this is the right move. I'm not saying he's better than Orton (who I don't think is as bad as people make him out to be), but it's becoming impossible for John Fox to ignore this unique situation he has.

The Broncos aren't winning. Orton was 3-10 last year and 1-4 this year. Should these losses be credited solely to Orton? Of course not. But they're not winning, and as the QB, you're always going to receive a good chunk of the blame. And at this point, the fans want Tebow. They've even got billboards up in Denver crying for him. So put him in, and let's get this over with. If it works and he wins, then great for them. If not, then at least they know and can move on appropriately.

I think that's crap. I think most of the criticism has to do with his crappy delivery. I think the evangelicals are the ones playing that angle up. They made a big deal when he got hazed just like all the other Bronco rookies. Personally I think he's handled everything pretty well but I still don't think he'll be accurate enough to be a starter in the NFL.

This.

While the dude is a decent person with some nice athletic skills, I too think that he has crappy delivery skills and even worse accuracy. He is wildly inaccurate (much worse than Cam with much less strength). I don't believe that he's ready for prime time just yet.

God, the Broncos are ****ing idiots for not getting what they could for Orton this offseason. This was SO predictable.

Yeah, they totally dropped the ball on this. They could have easily gotten a 3rd for Orton, a pick that could really help with the rebuild of this sorry team.

They'll get a 5th at best.

Thank god. We can finally see what he's got and stop having to hear about when he's going to get his chance.

Exactly. Give him time and games and lets see what he can do. He can certainly run with it, but that needs to be the exception instead of the rule. He'll need more help from the receivers to show whether he can pass; IIRC in their last game the Broncos had less than 80 yards passing going into the final minute of the game, and by no means is that all down to Orton or Tebow who had a half each at QB.

• 2 weeks later...
Somehow I don't think he'll be able to continue balling if he keeps going 3/10 for 24 yards through 3 quarters of play.
That's just how he is. As long as he keeps them in the game, they will have a chance. There's just something about this guy. The fans believe in him. His teammates believe in him. His coaches believe in him. He's a straight up baller. He makes plays when he has to. Did you not watch the last 3 games of last season? Or two weeks ago vs the Chargers. He put that 2-pt throw there. Lloyd just didn't secure it. Hell, they might have won that game, too.

I think he has the job for the rest of the season. It does the Broncos no good if they go back to Orton. It just further sets them back.

There are two ways of looking at that game:

a) Tebow led a 2 TD comeback in the final 3 minutes, he's a winner who never gives up and inspires his teammates.

B) With 5 minutes to go he was 4-14 for 40 yards against one the worst teams in the NFL, including 7 sacks and no third down conversions.

That's just how he is. As long as he keeps them in the game, they will have a chance. There's just something about this guy. The fans believe in him. His teammates believe in him. His coaches believe in him. He's a straight up baller. He makes plays when he has to. Did you not watch the last 3 games of last season? Or two weeks ago vs the Chargers. He put that 2-pt throw there. Lloyd just didn't secure it. Hell, they might have won that game, too.

I think he has the job for the rest of the season. It does the Broncos no good if they go back to Orton. It just further sets them back.

i agree. there is something about tebow. honestly, i dont think current nfl schemes (offensively and defensively) are ready for his type of talent. i dont know what the correct scheme for him is, but he has talent that the broncos coaches have to utilize.

Archived