Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tim Tebow Named Broncos Starter

Dan T.

Being drafted in the 1st round is the worst thing that could've possibly happened to Tim Tebow. He had no business even being drafted in the 3rd round, nevermind the 1st. To this day, I wonder what the hell McDaniels saw in his film study. I blame McDaniels more than I do Tebow.

I said the exact same thing when it happened. Gator fans were of course rejoicing, as many were afraid that Tebow would slip past the 1st, but I don't think they realized how much worse of a career situation that created for Tebow.

I actually had a conversation with Chopper Dave (I wonder what happened to that guy) over PM about it, as he was a huge UF fan, and he agreed with me that Tebow going in the 1st wouldn't help him at all. For Tebow to seriously be given a chance in the NFL, he'd need to sit for 2-3 years, maybe get some mop-up duty in once in awhile for reps, and just try to learn everything he can about being an NFL QB before taking over on a team.

Going in the 1st put too much unrealistic pressure on him, let alone going in the 1st to the situation in Denver. McDaniels already seemed like a guy who was going to be on his way out the door soon, and in the NFL, a new head coach is never too loyal to the previous head coach's 1st round pick project QB.

McDaniels drafting Tebow (and trading up to draft him no less) was a pretty terrible thing for Tebow's NFL chances.

On NFL.com alot of the Lions defenders were calling him a "joke" of a QB. Things are weird when the Lions start trash talking.

It was only a matter of time before they embraced the villain role as a whole.

By the way, it's not just the Lions that think he's a joke:

It would be one thing if this particular defender could be written off as an outlier, but during the time I spent in the Lions’ locker room after the game – and, later, on the phone with various coaches, front-office executives and players around the league – similarly harsh assessments were uttered about the second-year quarterback making his second start of the 2011 season...

Words like atrocious, terrible, completely exposed and not even close to ready kept coming up in these conversations

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_morning_rush_tebow_struggles_103111

I said the exact same thing when it happened. Gator fans were of course rejoicing, as many were afraid that Tebow would slip past the 1st, but I don't think they realized how much worse of a career situation that created for Tebow.

I actually had a conversation with Chopper Dave (I wonder what happened to that guy) over PM about it, as he was a huge UF fan, and he agreed with me that Tebow going in the 1st wouldn't help him at all. For Tebow to seriously be given a chance in the NFL, he'd need to sit for 2-3 years, maybe get some mop-up duty in once in awhile for reps, and just try to learn everything he can about being an NFL QB before taking over on a team.

Going in the 1st put too much unrealistic pressure on him, let alone going in the 1st to the situation in Denver. McDaniels already seemed like a guy who was going to be on his way out the door soon, and in the NFL, a new head coach is never too loyal to the previous head coach's 1st round pick project QB.

McDaniels drafting Tebow (and trading up to draft him no less) was a pretty terrible thing for Tebow's NFL chances.

I've also been wondering where Chopper Dave has been. As for Josh McDaniels, I don't know where I said it, but it was on this site after the 2010 Draft where I said that he essentially signed his own death warrant with that pick. That was the quickest decimation of a roster that I had ever seen. That Broncos team (with Cutler and Shanahan) would've been Super Bowl caliber had they fixed the defense.

Cutler

Marshall

Royal

Solid o-line (led by Ryan Clady)

Scheffler

Torain

Hillis

That is insanity

I've also been wondering where Chopper Dave has been. As for Josh McDaniels, I don't know where I said it, but it was on this site after the 2010 Draft where I said that he essentially signed his own death warrant with that pick. That was the quickest decimation of a roster that I had ever seen. That Broncos team (with Cutler and Shanahan) would've been Super Bowl caliber had they fixed the defense.

Cutler

Marshall

Royal

Solid o-line (led by Ryan Clady)

Scheffler

Torain

Hillis

That is insanity

Besides that, McDaniels went on to bomb every single 1st round pick they had. Just an utter disaster.

Besides that, McDaniels went on to bomb every single 1st round pick they had. Just an utter disaster.

Without doing all of the proper research on both situations, I think a case could be made that McDaniels was a worse hire for the Broncos, than Zorn was for the Redskins.

Zorn was about as embarrassing as it can get, but at least he didn't tear down a legitimate Super Bowl potential roster and replace it with bums in the process. The Skins were on the downhill slide once Gibbs left anyway, but the Broncos took several huge steps backwards.

And now we've been mostly cleansed of Zorn's mistakes, while the Broncos are still having to deal with what to do with Tebow.

Without doing all of the proper research on both situations, I think a case could be made that McDaniels was a worse hire for the Broncos, than Zorn was for the Redskins.

Zorn was about as embarrassing as it can get, but at least he didn't tear down a legitimate Super Bowl potential roster and replace it with bums in the process. The Skins were on the downhill slide once Gibbs left anyway, but the Broncos took several huge steps backwards.

And now we've been mostly cleansed of Zorn's mistakes, while the Broncos are still having to deal with what to do with Tebow.

You know, when I saw that list of players he let go, and I made my post, I had the exact same thought. I honestly believe Jim Zorn is the worst head coach in NFL history, but I definitely think McDaniels was more destructive.

You know, when I saw that list of players he let go, and I made my post, I had the exact same thought. I honestly believe Jim Zorn is the worst head coach in NFL history, but I definitely think McDaniels was more destructive.

Yeah, that's a pretty concise way to sum it up I think.

It had also never really occurred to me until Mr. Sinister put that list together. Pretty unbelievable to see. Like looking at all of the future NFL stud talent on the 2001 Miami Hurricanes roster or something.

I think the 1st rd list is something like

Robert Ayers

Knowshon Moreno

Tim Tebow (duh)

Demaryus Thomas

Someone else (maybe)

That list (as of right now) is worthy of NFL banishment

Yeah, that's pretty horrible.

At least we drafted Orakpo while Zorn/Vinny were here.

What's funny is that I'm not even convinced that actually trading Cutler/Marshall/Sheffler/etc. was the wrong way to go.

Imagine what that team could have been, with the guys that were available at those picks. They got good value in those trades. McDaniels is just a terrible talent evaluator. If he wasn't, we could just as easily be talking about what a genius he is, and how his incredible job tearing down the Bronco's "old" roster and replacing it with his own made up for his obviously annoying as **** ego.

Just think about this:

In 2009, taking some combination of Orakpo/Mathews instead of Moreno, and then Josh Freeman instead of Ayers, would have been brilliant.

He's have replaced his franchise QB to replace Cutler, and would have also gotten the pass-rusher he obviously needed/wanted in Orakpo, who was the obvious BPA anyways. Orakpo would have started his career at OLB in a 3-4 rather than OLB in a 4-3, and if anything would have played even better, with Dumervil blooming in the 3-4 across from him. Of course, realizing what he had in Hillis and riding him as the workhorse/pass-catching back he obviously wanted in Moreno would have only made this better. All the needs he had, plus extra ones, filled.

Never mind the horrible round 2 picks: Byrd over Alphonso Smith would have been a good choice, since he took McBath at S a few picks later. Both busted in Denver, but a guy like Byrd and then a guy like Sean Smith at CB would have been great (if we're sticking with guys taken around their picks, and guys at the same positions). McCoy would have been a sick selection if he didn't like Hillis, too.

Then there's the terrible Richard Quinn selection at TE. Mike Wallace went a bit later in that round, as well as some other guys that wouldn't have busted as hard as Quinn, who was chosen WAY too early for a blocking TE.

Then in 2010, taking Dez Bryant over Demaryius was obviously the better choice (despite his character questions, Dallas leapt at the opportunity to trade up and draft him two picks AFTER McDaniels passed him by). Bryant at 22 overall would have been a great value pick, although I'm not sure he could have coexisted with McDaniels. Then he doesn't have to trade UP for Tebow at 25th overall, and he can stay put and just make smart picks in guys like Daryl Washington/Brandon Spikes at ILB, Terrence Cody at NT, Jon Asamoah at OG, or Charles Brown at OT.

All of this seems obvious in hindsight, but many of these players were clear, or arguable, BPA picks where the Bronco's sat in the 2009 and 2010 NFL drafts. That's why I'm not getting into the later-round selections, because those are less obvious for every team.

All I'm saying is, McDaniels trading Shanahan's studs might seem stupid now, but if he had made more sensible selections with his BOATLOADS of draft picks, that team could be stacked right now. Instead, he followed his huge ego and trusted his terrible personnel evaluation skills, and attached his wagon to the wrong players, never allowing his great offense to stick. Things could have been very different if McDaniels had a personnel guy make the smart picks.

His rebuilt offense was looking like:

QB: Tebow

RB: Moreno

WR: Demaryius (torn achilles), Decker, Royal, etc.

When it easily could have looked like:

QB: Freeman

RB: McCoy, Hillis

WR: Dez Bryant, Mike Wallace, Decker (if he still drafted him in the 3rd--good pick), Royal

I know, looking back gives you 20/20 vision. But these weren't terribly difficult picks to make, at the time.

What's funny is that I'm not even convinced that actually trading Cutler/Marshall/Sheffler/etc. was the wrong way to go.

Imagine what that team could have been, with the guys that were available at those picks. They got good value in those trades. McDaniels is just a terrible talent evaluator. If he wasn't, we could just as easily be talking about what a genius he is, and how his incredible job tearing down the Bronco's "old" roster and replacing it with his own made up for his obviously annoying as **** ego.

Just think about this:

In 2009, taking some combination of Orakpo/Mathews instead of Moreno, and then Josh Freeman instead of Ayers, would have been brilliant.

He's have replaced his franchise QB to replace Cutler, and would have also gotten the pass-rusher he obviously needed/wanted in Orakpo, who was the obvious BPA anyways. Orakpo would have started his career at OLB in a 3-4 rather than OLB in a 4-3, and if anything would have played even better, with Dumervil blooming in the 3-4 across from him. Of course, realizing what he had in Hillis and riding him as the workhorse/pass-catching back he obviously wanted in Moreno would have only made this better. All the needs he had, plus extra ones, filled.

Never mind the horrible round 2 picks: Byrd over Alphonso Smith would have been a good choice, since he took McBath at S a few picks later. Both busted in Denver, but a guy like Byrd and then a guy like Sean Smith at CB would have been great (if we're sticking with guys taken around their picks, and guys at the same positions). McCoy would have been a sick selection if he didn't like Hillis, too.

Then there's the terrible Richard Quinn selection at TE. Mike Wallace went a bit later in that round, as well as some other guys that wouldn't have busted as hard as Quinn, who was chosen WAY too early for a blocking TE.

Then in 2010, taking Dez Bryant over Demaryius was obviously the better choice (despite his character questions, Dallas leapt at the opportunity to trade up and draft him two picks AFTER McDaniels passed him by). Bryant at 22 overall would have been a great value pick, although I'm not sure he could have coexisted with McDaniels. Then he doesn't have to trade UP for Tebow at 25th overall, and he can stay put and just make smart picks in guys like Daryl Washington/Brandon Spikes at ILB, Terrence Cody at NT, Jon Asamoah at OG, or Charles Brown at OT.

All of this seems obvious in hindsight, but many of these players were clear, or arguable, BPA picks where the Bronco's sat in the 2009 and 2010 NFL drafts. That's why I'm not getting into the later-round selections, because those are less obvious for every team.

All I'm saying is, McDaniels trading Shanahan's studs might seem stupid now, but if he had made more sensible selections with his BOATLOADS of draft picks, that team could be stacked right now. Instead, he followed his huge ego and trusted his terrible personnel evaluation skills, and attached his wagon to the wrong players, never allowing his great offense to stick. Things could have been very different if McDaniels had a personnel guy make the smart picks.

His rebuilt offense was looking like:

QB: Tebow

RB: Moreno

WR: Demaryius (torn achilles), Decker, Royal, etc.

When it easily could have looked like:

QB: Freeman

RB: McCoy, Hillis

WR: Dez Bryant, Mike Wallace, Decker (if he still drafted him in the 3rd--good pick), Royal

I know, looking back gives you 20/20 vision. But these weren't terribly difficult picks to make, at the time.

Course, this points out why you don't always get value back in trades, even if the picks seem to be a good value on the surface. You still need to make good picks.

Course, this points out why you don't always get value back in trades, even if the picks seem to be a good value on the surface. You still need to make good picks.

Totally agreed. I'm just looking back at many of these picks that he SHOULD have made, and seeing that they aren't crazy picks that no one could have predicted. They were picks that many of us could have gotten right more often than not. I guess that depends on how you feel about Freeman though. He's the biggest one, because many folks thought even the Bucs reached where they originally took him.

Totally agreed. I'm just looking back at many of these picks that he SHOULD have made, and seeing that they aren't crazy picks that no one could have predicted. They were picks that many of us could have gotten right more often than not. I guess that depends on how you feel about Freeman though. He's the biggest one, because many folks thought even the Bucs reached where they originally took him.

Looking at those other options, hindsight is 20/20, but I was wondering what in the world he was doing when he was actually making the picks in real time. If he wasn't such an idiot, he would be leading one of the best teams in the NFL.

Archived