Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex, the best in the NFC East...

ybnorml

Drew Brees turns it over just as much, but nobody cares.

There's a fundamental disconnect here with Grossman being compared to those other QBs. It's amusing that now Brees too is thrown into the debate, but when you point out that other QBs also have their faire share of turnovers what some people here fail to acknowledge is the fact that the other QBs offset those bad plays by being far superior playmakers. With Vick, Romo sits to pee, Eli or Brees in the fold we'd be 4-0, it's really that simple.

I can think of at least 15 QBs I'd rather have starting for the Redskins right now than Grossman. Simple fact of the matter is that we're 3-1 despite Rex and it boggles my mind that so many people have let themselves being fooled into thinking that this team is going anywhere with him at the helm.

When are you talking about? Because even last year Brees had more TDs and less INTs than Eli

I'm talking about in general. For instance, from 07-11, Drew Brees has thrown 73 picks. Eli has 74. I definitely believe Brees is the better player, but there is not as big of a gap between Eli and the "elite" QBs as everyone seems to think. Drew Brees is the golden child, Eli Manning is just the retarded Manning brother. Hell, they don't even like Eli in New York.

There's a fundamental disconnect here with Grossman being compared to those other QBs. It's amusing that now Brees too is thrown into the debate, but when you point out that other QBs also have their faire share of turnovers what some people here fail to acknowledge is the fact that the other QBs offset those bad plays by being far superior playmakers. With Vick, Romo sits to pee, Eli or Brees in the fold we'd be 4-0, it's really that simple.

I can think of at least 15 QBs I'd rather have starting for the Redskins right now than Grossman. Simple fact of the matter is that we're 3-1 despite Rex and it boggles my mind that so many people have let themselves being fooled into thinking that this team is going anywhere with him at the helm.

Just FYI, I wasn't comparing Grossman to Brees, I was comparing Eli Manning to Brees. They both blow Rex away.

Simple fact of the matter is that we're 3-1 despite Rex and it boggles my mind that so many people have let themselves being fooled into thinking that this team is going anywhere with him at the helm.

Probably because, in a roundabout sort of way, Rex is the most likeable dude we've had at quarterback in a LONG time. He kind of seems like a guy you'd know, and he constantantly effs up, but every now and then he's so insanely awesome (and generally speaking is a cool guy) that you kind of shove it to the back of your mind and ignore it.

I don't think Rex is leading us to a Super Bowl, but he's an effective placeholder. Well, mostly effective. He's also been sold out on a few playcalls and on tipped passes. Generally he's been making good decisions, it's just the temporary lapses that make you go "DOH!"

Funny how every QB in the league throws picks, every QB in the league will get him hard from there blind side and fumble the ball, but when it happeneds to Rex, a lot of people on here freak out........... Its part of football. Rex and the rest of our team have us at 3-1 right now, and first place in the NFCE. Most people would have said before the season started that this would have been impossible, even if Rex's play was better. This is why I find it very hard to complain, and will not hate on Rex. I have a feeling that his best games are still a head of him anyway.

ELI MANNING:

2010: 31 TDs, 25 INTs, 85.3

2009: 27 TDs, 14 INTs, 93.1

2008: 21 TDs, 10 INTs, 86.4

2007: 23 TDs, 20 INTs, 73.9

2006: 24 TDs, 18 INTs, 77.0

2005: 24 TDs, 17 INTs, 75.9

DREW BREES:

2010: 33 TDs, 22 INTs, 90.9

2009: 34 TDs 11 INTs,109.6

2008: 34 TDs, 17 INTs, 96.2

2007: 28 TDs, 18 INTs, 89.4

2006: 26 TDs, 11 INTs, 96.2

2005: 24 TDs, 15 INTs, 89.2

Can we stop this Eli is just as good as Brees nonsense now?

ELI MANNING:

DREW BREES:

Can we stop with this "Eli has too many turnovers to be an elite QB" nonsense now?

ELI MANNING:

DREW BREES:

The difference is even more stark when you compare INT percentages:

ELI MANNING INT% (from highest to lowest):

2010: 4.6%

2007: 3.7%

2006: 3.4%

2009: 2.7%

2008: 2.0%

DREW BREES INT% (from highest to lowest):

2010: 3.3%

2007: 2.7%

2008: 2.6%

2009: 2.1%

2006: 1.9%

How about Eli doesn't throw nearly enough TDs to counter all of the INTs he throws or compile a good enough QB rating (flawed as it is)? How's that?

That's fine if you believe that. It's the majority opinion for sure.

Meanwhile Eli Manning will just keep on winning, he just won't ever get any credit for it.

I look at this as upside vs. downside.

Downside (instances of poor play):

Rex- frequent, semi-harmful. The only turnover leading to a loss was vs. Dallas, and being stripped of the ball by a good pass rush against blown protection is forgivable.

Vick- very frequent, significantly harmful to team. He leads the NFL in turnovers, which has indirectly and occasionally directly cost them games.

Romo sits to pee- very frequent, cataclysmic. Enough said.

Eli- infrequent, harmful. The Kerrigan INT led to their defeat and the pick 6 yesterday, although arguably not entirely his fault.

Advantage: Eli. He has simply turned over the ball less (discounting the int in garbage time yesterday, he has one less than Rex and fewer fumbles). His forgivable game-ending int yesterday is on par with Rex's game-ending fumble, so the difference is total quantity of turnovers.

Upside:

Rex- infrequent, decent. He has made some good plays (e.g. TD's to Moss against AZ and St. Louis) but more often then not he is mediocre or worse.

Vick- frequent, spectacular. His best plays are better than those of any single man on a football field.

Romo sits to pee- semi-frequent, good. Based on history, he has been good most of the time. But this season his top-end play has only come during two, arguably three halves of football- 2nd half vs. 49ers, 1st half vs. Jets, 1st half vs. Lions. (when I say halves I refer to either beginning or end of games... not necessarily literal timed halves of the game)

Eli- semi-frequent, good. Two comeback wins and textbook scoring drives at the end of games.

Advantage: Vick. He wins the upside comparison against probably any player in history. But see downside.

Based on these comparisons I have to say Eli has been the best so far. Followed by Rex. Vick has done so much to harm his own team that it offsets his incredible plays. And Romo sits to pee is an unmitigated disaster, clearly the worst imo.

I predict either Rex or Vick replace Eli very soon because the Giants have faced poor teams and I think Eli will fall back into his old ways, which are nearly as bad as Romo sits to pee. Vick should be roughly par for the course, maybe cleaning up the mistakes and letting his positives assets into the spotlight.

I guess my conclusion is, believe it or not, Rex might be the cleanest, least mistake-prone QB in this division by the end of the season; it appears that mediocrity could easily trump inconsistency. If that happens, I think we win the division because we have the defense and the run game to make up for QB firepower.

I don't think any team at this point has a clear advantage at QB in the NFCE. If Eli's name wasn't Manning there's no way he wouldn't have been riding the pine years ago. The Giants have been beyond patient with him. Then there's Rex, who has only once enjoyed a full season under one system/OC. This is his fourth OC in not even 40 starts. Then when you throw in a few serious injuries, it shows how tough he is that he is still around.

Bad Rex > Bad Vick, Bad Romo sits to pee.
Think about this....Rex is the only NFC East QB to not have had an INT returned for a TD

At this point I'd still take Rex Grossman over the other three guys. If he can manage the game cut out the mental mistakes. We can be successful.

Agreed, I can't understand why Rex is the only one held accountable for turnovers
I'm with 89; out of every quarterback in the division, I think Rex is the least likely to make me mad. I hardly get pissed when Rex effs up. I kind of expect it, but usually, I can see that it's not necessarily his fault.

Another thing I've noticed about Rex is after he commits a turnover (even if it's not his fault) he bounces back mentally and so far hasn't continue to go Romo sits to pee in a full on meltdown mode.

The best QB is not always the most talented or the best athelete.

Rex knows his role and for the most part plays within the confines of the offense.

Although he makes his fair share of mistakes they do not appear to be ego driven.

Rex's goal is to win the east and get to the super bowl. I feel he could give a rat's ass what his stats look like.

This is why I think Shanny likes him.

All three being Vick, Manning and Romo sits to pee play a lot of times like they are better than the offense and their egos sometimes are their main demises.

Vick's interceptions aren't his fault? How quickly you forget the tip-drills off the hands of Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong!

I'll take Bad Vick and Bad Romo sits to pee over Bad Grossman any day of the week. Those guys make enough plays to win you the game even when they're terrible. When Grossman is terrible, you don't really have a chance as an offense.

Ummmm, just checked and Vick and Romo sits to pee haven't made enough plays to win in comparison to Rex. And that includes Eli as well who has now thrown 30 interceptions over the last two seasons. In the same last two seasons Tony Romo sits to pee has had three major, and I mean major, choke jobs (two this season, Tenn last season) which equals his win total for the two seasons. Michael Vick now has a record of 9-7 as the starting QB for the Dream Team. All of them have warts. But ESPN tells us the other three are great. They're not.

Archived