Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: The Myth of Voter Fraud

BRAVEONAWARPATH

:munchout:

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/opinion/the-myth-of-voter-fraud.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

It has been a record year for new legislation designed to make it harder for Democrats to vote — 19 laws and two executive actions in 14 states dominated by Republicans, according to a new study by the Brennan Center for Justice. As a result, more than five million eligible voters will have a harder time participating in the 2012 election.

Of course the Republicans passing these laws never acknowledge their real purpose, which is to turn away from the polls people who are more likely to vote Democratic, particularly the young, the poor, the elderly and minorities. They insist that laws requiring government identification cards to vote are only to protect the sanctity of the ballot from unscrupulous voters. Cutting back on early voting, which has been popular among working people who often cannot afford to take off from their jobs on Election Day, will save money, they claim.

None of these explanations are true. There is almost no voting fraud in America. And none of the lawmakers who claim there is have ever been able to document any but the most isolated cases. The only reason Republicans are passing these laws is to give themselves a political edge by suppressing Democratic votes.

A social security card is not proof of identity.

when coupled with another form that has a picture it could be. Thats not really my point though. Mainly its bewildering to me that asking for an ID to vote is somehow seen as unfair to certain segments of the population, especially when they are asked for it in so many other everyday things.

when coupled with another form that has a picture it could be. Thats not really my point though. Mainly its bewildering to me that asking for an ID to vote is somehow seen as unfair to certain segments of the population, especially when they are asked for it in so many other everyday things.

The failure in your thinking is that you assume that all eligible voters have these things.

The people who generally don't have them don't drive and pay cash for every transanction. Should they be denied the right to vote?

Of course, this usually goes along with the thought that there should be a national ID.

I remember a news story a few years ago in MD that was talking about how illegal immigrants who could obtain Maryland ID's with very little official documentation were then using those ID cards to register to vote. I don't know much more than the news story I vaguely remember, since at the time my sister in law was trying to trade in her Arizona driver's license for a Maryland one and because of the requirements they held her to for multiple ID sources and proof of MD residency she found that it would actually be easier for her to get a MD driver's license if she signed up for one as a homeless person.

This was a few years ago though and I think someone made a big fuss about the illegal immigrant thing and the requirements changed, I'm not sure though like I said I never really learned much about it.

If they dont, maybe they should think about getting them, like virtually every other American has to.

Why? It's their right to not have them if they don't want to have them, and their right to vote cannot be taken from them because they choose to exercise another of their rights as free citizens.

---------- Post added October-10th-2011 at 10:54 AM ----------

It is not a unreasonable burden

And yet, it is a burden.

*edit

And when it comes to voting a government CANNOT mandate burdens upon the people in order for them to exercise their right to vote.

Why? It's their right to not have them if they don't want to have them, and their right to vote cannot be taken from them because they choose to exercise another of their rights as free citizens.

---------- Post added October-10th-2011 at 10:54 AM ----------

And yet, it is a burden.

If they choose not to have ID, then they choose not to vote. No One is taking away their right to vote but themselves in your scenario.

again, its a simple matter to have ID, and you need ID for most things these days.

I have no sympathy for someone who makes the choice to not get an Id and isnt able to vote as a result.

and No, it certainly isnt a burden, it might be inconvenient, as many things in life are, but not a burden

If they choose not to have ID, then they choose not to vote. No One is taking away their right to vote but themselves in your scenario.

The only way a person can surrender their right to vote is to not go to their polling place or not registering to vote. If the government requires them to carry and ID which they are are not required to have, then the government IS by that very definition taking away their right to vote.

again, its a simple matter to have ID, and you need ID for most things these days.

So....It's a simple matter to have a computer, and you need a computer for most things these days, so only people with computers can vote...sounds fair.

I have no sympathy for someone who makes the choice to not get an Id and isnt able to vote as a result.

Honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, but I don't care if you have no sympathy for them, what you are suggesting is illegal.

and No, it certainly isnt a burden, it might be inconvenient, as many things in life are, but not a burden

And yes, it is a burden, one cannot be forced to surrender one right in order to exercise another.

1. "Want to vote? Just go out and get a driver's license or other government ID. I have no sympathy."

2. "Want to vote? Just go out and get some land or other property. I have no sympathy."

What's the difference between those two? Principle? Nope. Just degree.

No burdens means no burdens.

Yes, the Dems try to pass laws making it easier for more Dem than GOP to cast votes, and the GOP try to pass laws making it more likely for more GOPers to vote than Dems.

And for the lazy NYTs op/ed writer. Here's a comprehensive data base of those undocumented occurances of voter fraud and election problems-

http://www.ejfi.org/Voting/Voting-152.htm

My brother has severe cerebral palsy and cannot even sign his name and he has an ID through the state. It's an official Id. He went there himself and did it.

If that certain segment of the population can take the time to vote, they can take an hour to get a legal id.

He chose to do so and yet was not legally required to do so, with all due respect to your brother the government cannot force people to surrender one right to exercise another.

What's more is that doing this places a price tag on the right to vote, unless somewhere along the line states started handing out ID's free of charge.

Archived