Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: A message for the crybabies in the media who Chris Cooley offended

themurf

Great point about Cooley making fun of himself in the same interview. Sensationalism sells but its rarely honest. Unfortunately, the public at large doesn't care about honesty. Not many people will dig a little deeper to take in the complete context. They'll take the dramatic story being fed to them and react to it at face value. We're all guilty of it at one time or another, though. That's just the way it is.

I can't believe that Dan Graziano got so upset about it. Comparing Cooley taking pleasure in a rival team's QB's failure to Dan taking pleasure in another writer's failures. Writers don't compete head to head. They don't face off in direct blog off. Dan doesn't need another guy to have a less successful year writing in order to have a more successful year himself. Dan's year doesn't hinge on him being the single best NFL writer.

Anyway, nice job Murph and Bravo for sticking to your guns Cooley. It's fun to see Cowboys fans get their collective panties in a bunch over something that they've probably heard this whole week from people in their lives over that epic fail of a 4th quarter by Romo sits to pee and the Cowboys.

Meh. You missed the real story, Murf. Your high standards are slipping. ;)

Yes, Cooley has always been a goofball. But, one look at his blog is enough to confirm what I suspected. Cooley knows exactly what he's doing, and he is putting a serious amount of energy into building up his next career ... which is so obviously going to be either DC talk radio (Riggins) and/or Redskins sideline reporter to start, with a shot of going national on ESPN or NFL Network, televised or via columns.

Read that blog. It's completely over the top and would make me uncomfortable (Twitter section especially) if I'm Mike Shanahan. It's also generally well written and makes the disingenuous argument that it's all about igniting a rivalry. Really? I think it's all about igniting his next career.

Here is the most honest statement in the blog:

I genuinely appreciate you making me the number 1 Google search yesterday.

I believe that. Chris Cooley has jumped the shark. He's now a full-time sports personality impersonating a pass-catching TE for $3.7 million a year. He's a better sports personality at this point than he is a pass-catching TE, and he knows this.

Mark it down. Cooley will not be a Redskin in 2012. The end could be sooner if this blog reaches Mike Shanahan. This is how the backup TE is representing the Redskins?

I'm not saying it's wrong (open debate). I'm saying Mike Shanahan will think it's wrong. Cooley has to know that. That's why this is a conscious decision. "**** it, I'm going wide."

Where have I seen that link before? Oh wait ... that's right, roughly 11 posts earlier in this same thread.

I can't believe that Dan Graziano got so upset about it. Comparing Cooley taking pleasure in a rival team's QB's failure to Dan taking pleasure in another writer's failures. Writers don't compete head to head. They don't face off in direct blog off. Dan doesn't need another guy to have a less successful year writing in order to have a more successful year himself. Dan's year doesn't hinge on him being the single best NFL writer.

Can we even call what Graziano does writing? I'm a photojournalist in my day job, but I can't really call what I do on Homer journalism. I'm a blogger. Same with this guy, he just happens to do it for the self-proclaimed worldwide leader in sports. Either way, you're right. This guy can write 30 awful posts in a row and still most people who visit ESPN.com on a daily basis would have no clue who he is and if he's actually any good at his job. Football players, even the guys on the practice squad, are under a level of scrutiny that few people in this world could even comprehend.

To compare the two, once again, shows this guy is clueless.

Nice read, Murf. I think all too often, people read what is said instead of hearing it & get all tangled up in the words & not the tone of voice. Further, you pointed out that he was also making fun of himself, something very Cooley-like.

The media, as we know, has made poor little Tony Romo sits to pee the media darling (which just makes me gag) & they act like he should be untouchable & they seemingly want to protect him from anything harming him because he is such a hero for playing in his condition.

It kinda reminds me of when everyone jumped on McNabb's shoulder pads when Rush Limbaugh said what he did. The rest of the media made it out like McNabb could do no wrong. Everything that went wrong that year was because of someone else, something else, or Rush Limbaugh. Now, it's Romo sits to pee & everything that is said about him "better be on the up-n-up" or ESPN will flog you for it! Puh-lease! The more they try to coddle his delicate sensibilites, the more I hope someone really lays him out.

That's right ESPN...I said it. :kungfu:

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 08:34 PM ----------

I'm a photojournalist in my day job, but I can't really call what I do on Homer journalism. I'm a blogger.

While this may be true, your writing is far superior to that of those at ESPN who are seemingly either writing their stink from inside the crevace of Andy Reid or Tony Romo sits to pee's anus, or about to.

I would read your "blogs" over an article in ESPN or SI any day of the week & twice...3 times on Sunday. (Of course, with SI, I'm still bitter about Peter King & his vote against Art Monk for the HoF because of his lack of a "signature catch", so truth be told, I haven't read SI in YEARS).

Of course, I am biased because we are both Skins fans, but I thoroughly enjoy reading your work, sir. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 08:46 PM ----------

Quick update: Chris Cooley has written a respond to this controversy on his website. Go here to check it out.

:rotflmao: seriously, some of those remarks are downright hilarious. And not just Cooley's but the things people said to him. Slander? Really? These people need to hit the dictionary before tweeting. :doh:

:rotflmao:

Any person that says they are a Redskins fan, but cant understand him saying this, needs to leave their fan card at the door....its the pukes! We're supposed to hate everything about them down to the star on that helmet. I EXPECT our team to feel the same way...heck, I want to see them whoop the ever lovin crap out of the pukes and then walk off the field to the locker room like they are fleeing a crime scene without shaking any puke hand!

Meh. You missed the real story, Murf. Your high standards are slipping. ;)

Yes, Cooley has always been a goofball. But, one look at his blog is enough to confirm what I suspected. Cooley knows exactly what he's doing, and he is putting a serious amount of energy into building up his next career ... which is so obviously going to be either DC talk radio (Riggins) and/or Redskins sideline reporter to start, with a shot of going national on ESPN or NFL Network, televised or via columns.

Read that blog. It's completely over the top and would make me uncomfortable (Twitter section especially) if I'm Mike Shanahan. It's also generally well written and makes the disingenuous argument that it's all about igniting a rivalry. Really? I think it's all about igniting his next career.

Here is the most honest statement in the blog:

I believe that. Chris Cooley has jumped the shark. He's now a full-time sports personality impersonating a pass-catching TE for $3.7 million a year. He's a better sports personality at this point than he is a pass-catching TE, and he knows this.

Mark it down. Cooley will not be a Redskin in 2012. The end could be sooner if this blog reaches Mike Shanahan. This is how the backup TE is representing the Redskins?

I'm not saying it's wrong (open debate). I'm saying Mike Shanahan will think it's wrong. Cooley has to know that. That's why this is a conscious decision. "**** it, I'm going wide."

Wait a minute. Allen and Shanahan will get rid of him for this? Really? This is from the team that sells shirts that say, "Beat Dallas", and they are going to get rid of him for a blog? I don't buy that for a second.

NFL: Unless it's after a touchdown! Group celebrations are so classless, you should celebrate flamboyantly by yourself! Wait, why are all our star wide receivers acting like primadonnas?

I have never understood that. They want you to play like a team, act like a team and not bring attention to yourself as an individual player, yet when the team wants to do a celebration after scoring, it's considered rubbing it in the face or taunting the other team. Just wanted to get that in there, but I know that's for another thread.

The problem is that Cooley is right about Romo sits to pee...but these media lackies can't deal with it.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?355789-Bill-Barnwell-Before-you-call-for-Tony-Romo sits to pee-s-head-you-should-look-a-little-closer

I love Skip Bayless' go-to excuse for Romo sits to pee: He doesn't choke, he's so talented that he loses focus, gets a little disinterested, and just makes some lazy decisions.

It's not called choking because of why you do it, it's called choking because of the result!

Archived