Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: A message for the crybabies in the media who Chris Cooley offended

themurf

Romo sits to pee is a media created story. The media loves to talk about him because he's the QB for the Dallas Cowboys, but his numbers and his post-season performance don't back up the storyline. Yes, he's heroic for playing against the Redskins with broken ribs. But he didn't score a single touchdown against the 'Skins - they had to keep settling for field goals. And his numbers weren't anything special that day.

He is overrated and overhyped. And apparently over-sensitive, since no one is allowed to take great joy in him collapsing and losing games. If the media wants to put him in the spotlight, there is going to be a backlash from football fans when this false golden boy doesn't live up to the hype.

See, I think the "golden boy" stuff is something that you an other fans have created because you hate the Cowboys. I was just in Dallas for our game and the fans and media there RIP Romo sits to pee to SHREDS. And there are plenty of talking heads that routinely bring up failures. Yes, he is talked about more than most players in the league because he's the QB of the Cowboys, but I'd say at least half of that talk is negative.

When I think of media coverage in relation to Romo sits to pee I think of the botched hold in Seattle, the Cancun trip before the playoff game with the Giants, and the various stories about his 4th quarter and post season failures.

I dont think the media or fans have given Romo sits to pee a free pass at all. If anything, I think he's a bit underappreciated.

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 10:42 AM ----------

The thing is though, there are plenty of people who actually feel that Favre was a chokeartist. ESPN kisses up to Romo sits to pee the exact same way they did with Favre. ESPN calls Romo sits to pee a gutsy player. The only thing he doesn't have is the cannon that made people call Favre a gunslinger.

Trust me though. There are plenty who look at Favre the exact same way they look Romo sits to pee. Minus the Super Bowl win, MVP awards, etc.

Fans, yes. Media? No. No other athlete in our lifetime was granted more of a free pass by the media than Favre.

I dont think the media or fans have given Romo sits to pee a free pass at all. If anything, I think he's a bit underappreciated.

In what way is he underappreciated? What has he accomplished that you feel people are overlooking? What aren't we appreciating about him?

With the media, it's an endless cycle. One week, they build him up as a hero, the next they bash him for falling short. They are still the ones hyping him up and making a bigger deal about him than they should.

He's a middle of the pack QB who has come up short in December. If the media stopped pretending he was more than that, there would cease to be a backlash.

Guess what, the article also fails to mention that in the same interview Cooley also was joking around that Grossman threw more passes to the Rams, than he did to Cooley himself. Where is the media crying about knocking your own QB on the same team you play on? Silent on that one, as it should be, because if you actually listen to the interview, it is light-hearted in a joking atmosphere. He wasn't speaking "from the heart" about a hated opponent, he was just ribbing, having some fun. This was a regional sports show, that ESPN picked up as a national story merely to squeeze another news item into the day.

Look, whether you believe the 'Skins are real or not, the fact is at 3-1 and in 1st place in the NFC East, just about the ONLY time they have been getting any type of coverage on that network in 2011 is for Cooley's statement, than DeAngelo's hall statement. Grossman predicts NFC East win...lets cover THAt and mock him and laugh for a little while, even though that is what EVERY SINGLE QB would say about their team. Than Hightower makes an in-direct comment about going to the Superbowl. Lets cover THAT and mock him and make fun of him, even though that is what ever RB would probably say about their team. The 1 positive story I have seen on them was about Kerrigan and how he will be a ROY favorite if he keeps playing like this.

Other than Kerrigan though, I see this team not merely disrespected by ESPN, but worse, IGNORED. This past Monday they had a lineup of NFL Coverage shows starting at 1pm going all the way up to kickoff of MNF, and everytime the NFC East was brought up it was Cowboys, Eagles, Giants coverage. There was never even a mention of the 3-1 First place Redskins and have much of a positive taking a win into the bye week could mean. Fine, whatever, I'm over it, really, I only brought it up due to the context of this thread to give an example of what gets covered about the Redskins and what doesn't.

Kinda funny that when Favre made a career out of late game blunders he was just a "gunslinger" but Romo sits to pee is a choke artist.

kleese, buddy, that's a terrible comparison.

Favre won a superbowl at the age of twenty seven. In the three playoff games that year he threw 5 TDs to 1 INT, ran for a TD and posted passer ratings of 107.4, 107.3 and 107.9.

Romo sits to pee, at the same age, hosted the 10-6 Giants with his 13-3 Cowboys and lost the game, posting a passer rating of 64.7.

At Romo sits to pee's age (31) Favre was 9-5 in the playoffs and had a superbowl ring. Romo sits to pee is 1-3 in the playoffs and hasn't even so much as participated in a conference championship game, let alone a superbowl.

Later in his career Favre didn't fare as well in the playoffs (though still not as poorly as Romo sits to pee) and he was thought of as a guy who wouldn't accept his physical limitations as he got older. But he was never the choke artist Romo sits to pee is. Yes, Romo sits to pee's style is similar to Favre's, but he's just not as good at it, and my guess is he never will be.

In what way is he underappreciated? What has he accomplished that you feel people are overlooking? What aren't we appreciating about him?

With the media, it's an endless cycle. One week, they build him up as a hero, the next they bash him for falling short. They are still the ones hyping him up and making a bigger deal about him than they should.

He's a middle of the pack QB who has come up short in December. If the media stopped pretending he was more than that, there would cease to be a backlash.

I think calling him middle of the pack is selling him short. 32 starting QBs in the league and middle of the pack would put him around 16th. I'd say he's closer to the 10th best Qb in the league...upper third. Nowhere near the top tier, but better than average.

For example, while Matt Ryan is younger and has a smaller sample size, I'm not sure we can say he's BETTER than Romo sits to pee yet either. Ryan has also shown some choking tendencies, etc... Yes, I'd rather have Ryan because of his age and upside, but right now, not sure how you can automatically say he is better than Romo sits to pee...

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 11:19 AM ----------

kleese, buddy, that's a terrible comparison.

Favre won a superbowl at the age of twenty seven. In the three playoff games that year he threw 5 TDs to 1 INT, ran for a TD and posted passer ratings of 107.4, 107.3 and 107.9.

Romo sits to pee, at the same age, hosted the 10-6 Giants with his 13-3 Cowboys and lost the game, posting a passer rating of 64.7.

At Romo sits to pee's age (31) Favre was 9-5 in the playoffs and had a superbowl ring. Romo sits to pee is 1-3 in the playoffs and hasn't even so much as participated in a conference championship game, let alone a superbowl.

Later in his career Favre didn't fare as well in the playoffs (though still not as poorly as Romo sits to pee) and he was thought of as a guy who wouldn't accept his physical limitations as he got older. But he was never the choke artist Romo sits to pee is. Yes, Romo sits to pee's style is similar to Favre's, but he's just not as good at it, and my guess is he never will be.

Never meant to insinuate that I thought they were similar players overall. Just using it as an example of how the media can say different things about the same outcome. Favre was sensational his first 5-6 years in the league then he took a major dive that the media never acknowledged. Agreed that Romo sits to pee never had the peak Favre had, was just using Favre as an illustration.

I think calling him middle of the pack is selling him short. 32 starting QBs in the league and middle of the pack would put him around 16th. I'd say he's closer to the 10th best Qb in the league...upper third. Nowhere near the top tier, but better than average.

For example, while Matt Ryan is younger and has a smaller sample size, I'm not sure we can say he's BETTER than Romo sits to pee yet either. Ryan has also shown some choking tendencies, etc... Yes, I'd rather have Ryan because of his age and upside, but right now, not sure how you can automatically say he is better than Romo sits to pee...

So even if he's the 10th best QB in the league (which is obviously debatable), how exactly is he being underrated? He gets more media coverage than most of the guys ahead of him on the QB list and hasn't really done anything to warrant all of the coverage.

You didn't answer my questions: In what way is he underappreciated? What has he accomplished that you feel people are overlooking? What aren't we appreciating about him?

Cooley is right. Everyone is tired of all the Romo sits to pee lovefest going on in the media. The media acts like this guy is something special and no matter what he does it isn't his fault. When he played in the 49ers game he was a hero. When he won against the Redskins it was a gutsy perfomance and when he lost against the Lions it was everyone else's fault. He threw 3 INT's that game and no matter how you spin it Romo sits to pee is the one to blame. These same guys hound and call Grossman a trunover machine because he does the same things Romo sits to pee does but he plays for teh Washington Redskins. So if the media would treat other QB's the same way then there wouldn't be comments about Romo sits to pee and his media lovefest.

Cooley should apologize.

He should say, "I'm sorry I made those comments about Tony Romo sits to pee choking. I thought I was just acknowledging what others had seen...and was amazed how one of our rivals completely choked again. I'm sorry I said it, as it must be very embarrassing to Tony Romo sits to pee and his family to choke away another certain victory. I was completely unaware this has haunted him through his career and is such a difficult handicap in his life. I'm sorry, Tony Romo sits to pee. I will no longer bring your inadequacies into the spotlight."

"...other NFL players will often chide me for not knowing how hard it is to do what the player was trying to do. Cooley should know better, and he really should apologize."

I don't get the point Graziano is trying to make here. You're right, you're a journalist, you write about sports and probably haven't played since High School, IF you played. Cooley on the other hand is in the NFL, a professional if you must. He "knows how hard it is to do what the player was trying to do." He said it and A) He probably has no guilt for saying it and B) Will not apologize for it. Skins fans would lose respect for him if he did.

Graziano should shut his mouth and apologize to us for writing this up just to make an article deadline. The media is the WORST. It's their job to make a story out of nothing.

:helmet: HTTR!

So even if he's the 10th best QB in the league (which is obviously debatable), how exactly is he being underrated? He gets more media coverage than most of the guys ahead of him on the QB list and hasn't really done anything to warrant all of the coverage.

You didn't answer my questions: In what way is he underappreciated? What has he accomplished that you feel people are overlooking? What aren't we appreciating about him?

I thought I did answer it.... By saying he is average or middle of the pack, I think you are undervaluing him. Maybe it's semantics, but I wouldnt say he is an average NFL QB; I'd say he's above average to good. Nothing more for sure, but better than average.

And media "coverage" is different than media adulation. No doubt he is covered more than most QB's... But that is because he plays for the most popular (or one of) the most popular teams in the league that have also always drawn sort of a soap opera-like following. Much of that coverage is negative, or at least fair.

And Cowboy fans Definitley don't appreciate him. At the game Monday MANY fans I talked to wanted him benched in favor of Kitna and McGee and several callers want his outright release...

When Tanner told me yesterday that Chris was planning something, I got excited. Even then, I had no idea it would be this awesome.
I will never make an apology to any offended Dallas fans and I expect every Redskin fan to cheer at the folly of a Cowboy.

Fort he record, I have never, ever used this smiley before.

:notworthy

Fantastic read as always Murf. It's hysterical how all of this got blown wayyyyy out of proportion and it just basically proves once again that ESPN/Majority of the Media defends the Cowboys/Romo sits to pee like their lives depend on it. Cooley's response also sums up the fact that he understands why the hatred for the Dallas Cowboys exists and I love the fact that he's one of us. :finger: @ ESPN, Romo sits to pee apologists, and all of the Cowboys fans that got so butt hurt over all of this :ols:.

Archived